Why become a member? ×

Which Bass Sounds Best?

Lowender

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1383159711' post='2261033']
Can't open iphone files here - do you have an mp3 or similar?
[/quote]

Download it then rename it from .ipb to .mp3

It is an mp3, it's the forum software that changes the file extension for some reason.

Edited by neepheid

Interesting. Of course all the basses were played full up with the same flat EQ

The basses are ...

1: Fodera

2: Squier

3: Music Man

I wish I could do another comparison but I don't have the Fodera any longer. : /

I will do a slap/finger/plectrum comparison once I get the new Squier 77 and pit it against a CV and a MIA. Though the MIA is by far superior in many ways, the others have a sound that works in some context's.

Edited by Lowender

That doesn't surprise me at all .

It's just the latest in a long line of similar blind comparisons we have heard on Basschat that show how - depending on how they are recorded ( Trevor Horn at Abbey Road might have got slightly different results) - expensive basses and less expensive basses don't sound that different .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383183672' post='2261394']
That doesn't surprise me at all .

It's just the latest in a long line of similar blind comparisons we have heard on Basschat that show how - depending on how they are recorded ( Trevor Horn at Abbey Road might have got slightly different results) - expensive basses and less expensive basses don't sound that different .
[/quote]

I didn't set out to get the optimum sound -- just do a comparison of tones as pure and uncolored as possible so the inherent qualities of the guitar came through .

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1383182793' post='2261389']
Interesting. Of course all the basses were played full up with the same flat EQ

The basses are ...

1: Fodera

2: Squier

3: Music Man

I wish I could do another comparison but I don't have the Fodera any longer. : /

I will do a slap/finger/plectrum comparison once I get the new Squier 77 and pit it against a CV and a MIA. Though the MIA is by far superior in many ways, the others have a sound that works in some context's.
[/quote]
That's interesting as I thought number 1 was a musicman, and didn't really like number 3

Tricky one...

Bass is rarely heard in isolation like that so without knowing the exact musical context it is going into it is impossible to say which one sounds "best". Also your cheap and nasty drum machine that you are playing along to doesn't do any of the bass sounds any favours.

So with my producer's hat on, if I was creating an 80s funk-pop track (which from the style is what you seem to be playing), bass 1 would probably be the most versatile since it has plenty of top end already there that I can exploit to make the playing pop out at appropriate points in the track and the lack of any real bottom end could always be covered with a bit of synth bass underneath. In the end though any of the three bass sounds would be perfectly adequate, and any half-decent producer could make them all work in most contexts.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1383214580' post='2261557']
They all sound equally slappy to me...
[/quote][size=4][quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1383174728' post='2261321'][/size]Fingerstyle and Plectrum comparisons would be good...
[/quote]

Any slapped bass sounds bloody awful - in my humble opinion - and therefore no comparison is possible. *Runs away*

Edited by discreet