Why become a member? ×

What do you think of DJ's

bubinga5

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1382745312' post='2256283']
I'm 56 years of age and I dislike DJs as much now as I did when I was 17.

I've always hated nightclubs (with DJs),hated discos and pubs with piped music and always loved a live band.
[/quote]

+1 apart from the age. :)

I'm 63 (going on 64...); I can recognise mastery when I see/hear it. Would I buy it..? No, but it's essentially a 'live' art form. I've seen/heard other good'ens, too (DJ Zebra, anyone..?), but there's a worthy World Champ in action. Nice post; I'd have not seen that otherwise.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1382750109' post='2256301']
cool to hear these thoughts. but im wondering if you actually watched the vid.? very confusing
[/quote]

I think that the confusion is from the way the OP is presented - the title asks what we think of DJs in general, and then in the OP you want an opininion on that particular DJ.

Anyway, on the subject of DJ Craze, I would put it in the same category as beat boxing - very skilful, and sounds fantastic in short bursts of with the right accompaniment, however an extended long set is a bit much for me.Terminator X was an integral part of Public Enemy (before he went off to become an ostrich farmer) but I don't think I'd enjoy a solo set of his scratch DJing.

On the subject of DJs in general (I'm talking about normal 'play'n'mix' type rather than scratch type) - a good DJ has a huge amount of skill, from selecting the correct tunes in the correct order by reading the room, to seamlessly blending them so that people don't come to a standstill, and slowly building atmosphere over the night.

Our band have a DJ that we take with us on gigs whenever possible (sadly not that often) and the atmosphere he creates is well worth the extra split in money.

Edited by Roland Rock

I really like a decent DJ who can select the right tunes at the right times and put them together with style. I also like DJs in live bands and think they can add a huge amount to the overall sound. The vid in the OP id defo not my cup of tea though. It was clearly brilliantly done but like most bass/guitar/keyboard/*insert any instrument here* solo it was just a bit boring after the first 20 seconds. Not questioning the guy's ability though.

There was a period of time when the dreaded dj almost killed off live music
the era of the mobile disco,pity they hadn,t kept being mobile and went west.
As for being failed musicians-well-have you heard what they play-making collages of sound masquerading as music-not musicians.
Question-could you have a conversation with one of them about the merits of ecc83/12ax7 valves NOS V new cryogenic treated tubes -NO

I've been going to alot of hiphop nights the past year or two, and I have alot of respect for agood DJ. I think people may be thinking of the guy at an 18th birthday party playing 'come on Eileen' etc. What that guy in the video does, is a musical instrument in itself, and hard to master!

[quote name='Mattmit' timestamp='1382804836' post='2256787']
Well, I think there's some skill in doing it well, but a lot of people don't bother to be good at it and are basically no better than putting an iPod on shuffle, and they are usually the ones who need to let everyone know they are a DJ.
[/quote]

Exactly like musicians in that respect......