Why become a member? ×

Good budget 6 stringer?

xgsjx

Hello there,

Anyone recommend a good budget 6 string bass?

I tried a Hudson not long ago in Guitarguitar & quite liked it. I was originally looking at 5's but after trying the 6, I could put the extra string to good use.

I know there's Peavey Grind for sale on here but I'm not looking to buy for a good few months yet & just wanna make a list of recommended basses to try.

Is the Ibanez budget ones any good or would it disappoint due to having a 4 string one & kinda expecting the same sound.

Cheers

I know it a bit more however, I think you should be talking to DMZ......

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19900&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19900&hl=[/url]

[quote name='xgsjx' post='223608' date='Jun 21 2008, 02:48 PM']Hello there,

Anyone recommend a good budget 6 string bass?

I tried a Hudson not long ago in Guitarguitar & quite liked it. I was originally looking at 5's but after trying the 6, I could put the extra string to good use.

I know there's Peavey Grind for sale on here but I'm not looking to buy for a good few months yet & just wanna make a list of recommended basses to try.

Is the Ibanez budget ones any good or would it disappoint due to having a 4 string one & kinda expecting the same sound.

Cheers[/quote]

[quote name='xgsjx' post='223742' date='Jun 21 2008, 06:37 PM']Sorry guys, really can't buy just now & they're very nice looking basses.

That Toby looks nice, but I'm having trouble finding a uk shop with em. Where did you get yours?[/quote]
Nottingham guitar and drum centre, was used though, they went out of production a few years ago, it's worth keeping an eye out on the forums and ebay though because they pop up quite often, particularly ebay.

Edited by budget bassist

I only play 4 and 12 string basses now but when I did play 6 string ones, I really liked Ibanez.

The one I had was an SR1006. This was a made in Japan one.

I had also considered the SR506 and BTB406 which I believe are made in Korea.

The thing I loved about the bass was the slim body and neck. It was never any effort to play. I had a set of TI flats on it and it sounded fantastic.

If i could find a 4 string version I would have it in a minute but they are pretty thin on the ground.

I also had a Yamaha TRB6 but the neck was like an ironing board - very wide. I could never get a good sound out of the C string.

My first one was a Washburn XB126. Ideal as a first bass to get to grips with the 6 stringer.

If you have been looking at the Peavey grind, check out the Harley Benson on thomann's website as it is very similar. Looks like it could be made at the same factory with a few small differences.

Being absolutely honest, there aren't any really bad basses being made anymore. Any bass will be playable with a good setup.

I've played £50 basses live alongside £2000 basses before. My main 12 string cost me £175 and my other one was £80 and I play these most weekends.

In fact, check my signature. It doesn't sound like I have much in the way of quality basses but after extensive research - testing out over 50 basses, these are the ones I have chosen as being the best for me

Edited by Delberthot

I've just done a lesson and the student has just bought a BTB. I had a good look at it and for the money it seems to be an amazing amount of bass for the money. Nice woods, through neck construction and Bartolinis. Sounded good too. I would have one of these as my main bass no hesitation. I think the Yamaha TRB's are probably worth a go as well.

I might go & have a look at those Ibanez basses. Anybody got any idea how much a s/h sr 1006 would be?

The toby looks a nice bass, but I need to find one up here to try. I don't wanna buy blind when it comes to a bass (but I did with my combo!).

I tried a Rockbass & I thought it was RUBBISH! Might have been a one off, but I was well disappointed as I would like a Warwick 6 string but can't justify spending that much in the near future (most of my money is allocated to doing the house up).

Anyone got any other bass suggestions?

Thanks

ibanez SR 506. Tight spacing though (16.5 mm). Also the BTB range. Not sure if they have a BTB six strings under 500.

Yamaha must have a TRB in your budget.

here you go. That looks lovely (more like £600).

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_btb676_ntf.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_btb676_ntf.htm[/url]

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_sr506_bm.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_sr506_bm.htm[/url]

ESP's arent bad. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/espltd_b206.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/espltd_b206.htm[/url]

Agreed on the TRB, You can also get the Korean ones £699 new, and they also sound and feel just great - neck is a little bit cumbersome for my taste though. The BTB556 is about £379 (the neckthrough is the BTB1306 which now retails at £1099), a good first 6-string if you can't stretch to the TRB. Both have a 35" scale and a deeper, richer sound than the SR506 IMO (I've tried all three side by side through a nice MarkBass rig). I picked up a Warwick Corvette custom shop 6-string in ash for £700 and it sounds absolutely wicked (does a better Anthony Jackson sound that any Fodera I've played) - doesn't balance great but oh the sound - like a deeper classical guitar. If you're on a tight budget I'd definitely advise getting a secondhand bass if you can - then you can punch in a higher bracket and get a bass you're more likely to get on with. You can scrimp a bit on 4 and 5 strings and still get a great bass but sixers usually have to be a little bit more.

I never thought about the ESP's or Yamaha's until now, I will be putting them on the "to try" list.

i don't mind going 2nd hand on this & after looking at the list so far it seems from an aesthetic point of view very nice. I was expecting lots of things with bodies as ugly as posh spice & necks like surfboards :) .

So far so good. What sort of bass would i be looking at on the second hand side? I've looked on ebay but it seems a bit on the quiet side for 6ers.

All the Ibanez 6ers that I've tried have been very playable and versatile. The SR506 is a great model and very good value. The SR1006 is a superior instrument, Japanese built, though feels quite different to the 506, mainly due to the neck.

I've got an older Japanese-made SR1016 - this is closer to the SR506, but for me is a preferable instrument, having the vari-mid pre-amp and a slimmer neck profile. That said, I've been thinking about trading it in for another 5 string as I'm just not finding much use for a 6 string at the moment. When you're thinking about buying, give me a shout if you're still interested in an Ibanez :)

• 1 month later...

I ended up going with an Ibanez BTB in the end when deciding over a similar choice as yours, just felt the nicest to play and I love the sound and the looks.

I did try a Dean and Yam but just find their necks to be too wide.

Edited by simwells