Why become a member? ×

What's The WORST Advice...?

Lowender

[size=4][quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1382216766' post='2249507']
Bass should be felt, not heard.
Don't touch the truss rod, you'll break it and have to scrap the bass.
You're not a real bass player if you use a pick.
[/quote]

Classics. Advice generally given by non-bass players. :)[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382191200' post='2249095']
'Don't try to be a pro musician - you'll fail. If you must make the attempt be sure you have a trade to fall back on'. Bwa-ha-ha!
[/quote]

I think everyone hears this. I got the whole "It's really hard to 'make it', and if you don't 'make it' then you'll never make any money" from my friends.

I never have made it, or made any money from my music, but that's beside the fact that they clearly knew f*** all about how the music industry works.

From a teacher I had one lessn with:
"Keep your fretting hand at 90 degrees to the fret board and use one finger per fret, even down on frets 1-4 etc. If you can't get that from day 1 give up bass"

I was 54 at the time and still trying to stretch my small hands and pulling tendons. I gave up the teacher.

Not my personal 'worst advice ever', that's already been covered by others in this thread.

I was told over the phone by a well known internet musical instrument shop that as guitars are all made on a production line, that there was no difference between different copies of the same model. And therefore there was no advantage to going into a shop and testing the actual instrument you're going to buy, compared to having tested one of the same model. I don't believe this. Particularly when buying cheaper instruments that haven't had a very careful setup.

Also, while I am a bit hesitant to mention this, in the 'for sale' section there are often people chiming into a for sale thread saying how cheap something is being sold for, and that someone should grab this quick. Most of the time the advice is correct and useful. But just occasionally this advice will be given when the asking price is quite high.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1382256757' post='2249673']
"Take up bass. Chicks love bass players."
[/quote]

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1382257280' post='2249681']
Only when they don't realise which one's the bass player. :lol:
[/quote]

"Don't think I'd recognise a bass guitar."
Said to me Friday by a beautiful woman I tried (and failed) to chat up.