Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

General musings as I'm off work sick...

LukeFRC

So i'm off work sick with a flu type cough thing, a week of battling through and my bodies decided I need a day in bed. :(

and as you do that you sit and think (can't play bass, 1) cos don't really feel up for leaving sofa or bed and 2) wife also ill so asleep in bed... im on sofa with bob dylan on)

I sold my JV this week, it should be delivered with it's new owner tomorrow. I didn't play it any more, that's why I sold it... but gosh I miss that bass - I won't own a better P bass again in my life I bet. It's odd, I've only set up the stand for them and found space to have all my basses out of their cases a week or so ago but now I go I and see the other two sat there... and for the first time in 10 years or so i've no P bass. It's sad and I just hope the new owner has as much fun with it as I do.

Also when you do sell something.... suddenly GAS starts. I thought I would be well protected from this by knowing exactly what I want. It's so easy as someone who likes stuff and interesting stuff to suddenly want to pick up loads of different basses.... even though deep down you know you're not going to hang onto them - but they're interesting...... well quite well protected against that....
and suddenly I start questioning my rig..... maybe I already was (see my thread about the most amazing bass tone I've heard) but despite the fact my Tecamp Puma 1000 and M210 sounds brill and does me I suddenly start wondering.... do I want something more valvey (the H&K Quantum 600 I used to have) or cleaner, or some barefaced thing.... or why you never see the berg IP series up for sale... (that would be the ideal) and then weight...

anyway. thanks for reading my ramble. :)

The devil makes GAS for idle hands! I feel like that whenever I'm not occupied playing/writing/gigging, but brain still in music mode. You start wondering about gear and then you start reading about it on forums and there is it, the demon GAS. When I'm playing my guitars a few nights a week I don't think about changing them but now my function band has had a two week break I'm compulsively offering to trade all kinds for god knows what. Its a curse.

Get well soon mate, then you can get on with the important business of playing with your gear instead of pondering about it! Hope the missus gets well soon too.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1382097412' post='2247868']
Don't suppose it makes you feel any better about letting it go if I say I love it to bits already, does it?
[/quote] awww makes me feel all glowey inside :)

funny when you can't afford them you cannae move for cheap good basses, when you can.... they all dry up...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1382119448' post='2248349']
oh and medication for possible whooping cough.... :(
[/quote]

That's not good, I had it two years ago, had to have about three months off work and horse doses of strong antibiotics. Used to cough and exhale until my throat locked up, if my wife hadn't been around to slap me on the back and make me breath in again I'd be gone by now. Several times I really thought I'd had it, and I am not given to self pity or dramatics. Take care!

I have been off work for nearly 18 months long story so wont bore you all with that but yeah the pills and potions they give you certainly have knocked me for six I feel like a druggie lol I must admit I am bored silly I cant do lot but Christ being at home all day everyday is so boring I am used to working at least 12 hours every day and even though I would say the job I had was rubbish it was work and gave me a meaning to get up in the morning do a days graft and live a normal life. I try to keep myself busy the best I can at home but it is hard with being ill blah blah blah its diving me mental but like FinnDave I am not going to give up and go down the self pity route I am just going to concentrate and try and get as well as I can get and try to find some suitable job I can do I need to do that for myself but mainly for my family I want to show my kids a good ethic regarding work and family. I have even been pondering going to church and reading the bible I don't really know why as religion has never really appealed to me before and I used to think it was a load of BS but maybe it is because I need to find some faith and something good to believe in? right that's my deep and meaningful over lol :)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1382121369' post='2248399']
That's not good, I had it two years ago, had to have about three months off work and horse doses of strong antibiotics. Used to cough and exhale until my throat locked up, if my wife hadn't been around to slap me on the back and make me breath in again I'd be gone by now. Several times I really thought I'd had it, and I am not given to self pity or dramatics. Take care!
[/quote] well I havn't started the whooping yet and on the anti biotics so hopefully it might have been caught before the thing kicks in for good. Had all these odd symptoms (i'm pretty healthy normally) and then remembered a good friend had recently had it and the symptoms matched. Need to convince Mrs FRC to get to the GP's now!

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1382122558' post='2248429']
I have been off work for nearly 18 months long story so wont bore you all with that but yeah the pills and potions they give you certainly have knocked me for six I feel like a druggie lol I must admit I am bored silly I cant do lot but Christ being at home all day everyday is so boring I am used to working at least 12 hours every day and even though I would say the job I had was rubbish it was work and gave me a meaning to get up in the morning do a days graft and live a normal life. I try to keep myself busy the best I can at home but it is hard with being ill blah blah blah its diving me mental but like FinnDave I am not going to give up and go down the self pity route I am just going to concentrate and try and get as well as I can get and try to find some suitable job I can do I need to do that for myself but mainly for my family I want to show my kids a good ethic regarding work and family. I have even been pondering going to church and reading the bible I don't really know why as religion has never really appealed to me before and I used to think it was a load of BS but maybe it is because I need to find some faith and something good to believe in? right that's my deep and meaningful over lol :)
[/quote] tip don't start at the begining. Start at matthew. ;)
And sorry to hear you're not well. Are you able to get some bass playing in? that's my musical escape while not well .

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1382122601' post='2248431']
well I havn't started the whooping yet and on the anti biotics so hopefully it might have been caught before the thing kicks in for good. Had all these odd symptoms (i'm pretty healthy normally) and then remembered a good friend had recently had it and the symptoms matched. Need to convince Mrs FRC to get to the GP's now!
[/quote]

Took several doctors to diagnose my whooping cough, eventually a Russian doc at our local hospital in Finland recognized it as he had it himself. GPs in UK and Finland had missed it completely while it got worse by the day. it tends to be seen as a children's illness and treated as a joke among adults, but it is a serious disease which can and does kill people every year. I urge you to get a proper diagnosis, if I remember correctly it was a culture from either blood or a throat swap that confirmed it in me.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1382122704' post='2248435']
tip don't start at the begining. Start at matthew. ;)
And sorry to hear you're not well. Are you able to get some bass playing in? that's my musical escape while not well .
[/quote] Thanks Luke :) sometimes get some bass in but not as often as I would like mate :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1381932312' post='2245666']
I sold my JV this week, it should be delivered with it's new owner tomorrow. /,,,,/ It's sad and I just hope the new owner has as much fun with it as I do.

[/quote]

I feel obliged to pipe up again. I put some La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats on Luke's ex-JV this morning. *NOW* I get it - I fully understand what all the fuss is about. The build quality and finish are a given, I think. Lightweight - yup, bonus. Comfy neck - yes, definitely. These things are all mechanical/physical. The tone? That is something else. There are nuances in there that I haven't found in any other Precision bass. Extra special.