Why become a member? ×

Warwick - Love or Hate?

maldy

I can't stand them.

Hate the sound & the feel of them (I really dislike oiled or waxed finishes on any bass), and I also think they are the ugliest range of basses I've ever seen - the Corvette is just an abomination IMO.

The only decent model shape they have they quite literally nicked from Stuart Spector

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1380911909' post='2232405']
So how come they lost their fashion appeal?
[/quote]

Most basses, with the exception of Fenders (& possibly Musicman Stingrays) drift in & out of fashion/favour periodically, it's certainly not just Warwicks.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1380911879' post='2232404']
I can't stand them.

Hate the sound & the feel of them (I really dislike oiled or waxed finishes on any bass), and I also think they are the ugliest range of basses I've ever seen - the Corvette is just an abomination IMO.

The only decent model shape they have they quite literally nicked from Stuart Spector
[/quote]

+1

Looks, sound and playability are exactly what I don't like in a bass. Nothing against them and they have a place, it's just not for me!

I've played a few Warwicks and they've all been high quality instruments. I played a Warwick Corvette $$ in PMT Leeds which wasn't great to play. However the set-up was rubbish (high action) and the only amp to play it through available was some Ashdown thing which could go a long way to explaining that. I don't understand all the hate on the visuals though... and I certainly doubt that they represent the majority view. My Corvette, a 2009 German made one with a Bubinga body looks absolutely stunning, and the build quality is among the best. It also gets a lot of comments from people who ordinarily couldn't care less what a bass looks like about how good it looks. As for the sound being outdated? Well that's just nonsense. It sounds as dated as the rig you run it through.

Edited by Ziphoblat

Love both of mine.
Super comfy basses with perfect balance, excellent necks, excellent quality, great to play and I dig the sound of 'em both.

I've had basses from quite a few different stables, P basses, J basses and MM to name the better known brands I've had but to me, the two Warwicks I have now are head and shoulders above any of the instruments I've previously owned.

B)

Warwick [b]love [/b]from me.

I've had a few. A Streamer Std, Dolphin Pro2, Thumb NT, and I'm currently settled on a Streamer Stage 1. They all have different merits, 'though The Thumb NT, Streamer Stages 1&2, and Dolphin NT appear to be the classics of the brand.

They have been out of fashion, sure. Although there are signs that they are coming back. I'm seeing them played out and about more. Second-hand Warwicks are starting to fetch higher prices again too (there were some insane bargains for a time). The early (1980's) Warwicks have always been more sought after and seem to hold their value a bit better. Back then they were hand made, utilised EMG or Bartolini pickups, and (Warwick branded) Schaller hardware, the really early models had a different headstock shape, then the common head shape, but with non-inclined tuners. Some different wood selections back then too, amongst other distinctions. I've heard these basses refered to as the "transitional" Warwicks. Some collectors go daft for them.

Love them or hate them, for whatever reason, there can be no denying that they are quality instruments. The rest is subjective.

Back when I was in uni a Thumb 5 bolt-on was my dream bass, well to be fair a through neck was my dream but I thought a bolt-on was actually achievable.

Loved the tight, punchy sound, would still love to have one in the future.

As has been said they are obviously quality instruments, but being shallow I just can't get past the various body shapes. They look unbalanced aesthetically in my opinion. There's that one with the cock and the other one with the alien's teat and vestigial porpoise fin. Eurgh!

Having said that I do quite often get GAS for them when I see them up for sale. I can appreciate why people get passionate about them. If I owned one I would most probably change my mind, I'm sure. I get GAS for Ritters too, but would probably never buy one.

I don't see quite how they can sound out of date, though. Surely that's up to the player. Does a P-Bass ever sound out of date..?

Finding all these comments very intersting. I like the fact that the people posting no love for warwicks have their reasons. It seems you guys have at least tried a Warwick and found it not suited to you. Can't argue with that.

Before Internet forums I gigged for about 10 years with a Warwick thumb and watched countless of live local bands. Not once did I come across another Warwick bass player. Nice to finally 'meet' some!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1380900051' post='2232182']
I don't appreciate EVERY bass that Warwick do but certain Warwick basses have a cracking sound and their playability and ergonomics are (IMHO) superb. The Streamer (I or II) is a lovely thing to play (as is the Spector NS but I have tended to find them a bit more 'bloated' ergonomically and tonally) but I can appreciate how Fender-Heads can't get away with where the neck hangs (short horn on the W means that Fender top horns have the neck pulled back toward the body), same scale but W necks can 'appear' to be longer. I also love the Dolphin for tone and aesthetics, likewise the Thumb BUT I can't get away with the even shorter horn on the Thumb.

Another point of note is that the W neck profile has changed over time and some folks pick up a W from a certain period and may have an instant like/dislike to the profile and they never bother trying a different period bass to see if that is better/worse. Oddly enough people talk about Fender J and P basses as though the necks only come in 2 profiles (P = full & J = skinny) yet I've tried some 70's J basses that have chunky profile necks... worse than any W! LOL

Horses for courses though and I never actively try and convert folks to liking Warwick basses; though one or two have been surprised when they have tried mine! ;)
[/quote]

Totally agree with this. I don't like every W shape by any stretch. My favourites are the thumb, streamer and corvette.

Having recently bought a couple of Fenders, there is a noticeable quality difference. However, I like the fact these basses are so different in feel and sound. And I totally agree with the comment that warwicks sometimes feel like a longer scale as compared to a fender.

I've owned a thumb, std corvette fretless, corvette hot rod and streamer $$. I like the feel of all of these. The body on the streamer was superb, but the neck was a little too chunky for me. The others have/had great necks. Apart from the hot rod, they all had a very similar sound. $$ had countless of settings, but all very warwick in my mind. Also if you don't like heavy (in weight) basses, warwicks do tend to weigh a ton! The hot rod is the anomaly. It is light - has tone chambers and consequently has more warmth that most of the warwicks I've tried.

Every time I pick my warwicks up I'm impressed by the quality. I also think the thumb is a good recording bass. So I have big love for Warwick. However, these days I'm happy exploring other basses. I've never tried a thru neck warwick and that might tempt me to get another.

mmm, tried a fair few in my time and have now settled for 2 thumb BO 5 broadnecks. I sold 2 jazzes and 2 P basses in the process and thought they were all keepers, a bit odd but tastes do change I suppose. I used to have a thumb nt5 that was a work of art (IMO) but the fit wasn't that good for me. The BO basses fit me that bit better and while they don't sound quite as 'thick' as the NT (they both have soapbars rather than single coils) they are probably a little bit more versatile. I've also realised now that I much prefer 5 stringers with a wide string spacing so if I do get another wick it'll be broadnecked for sure!!

The higher models look great . The cheaper rock bass look cheap and nasty. Never tried one , but have a vester copy of thumb bass which I love.
It is a fretless. Was thinking a getting a real thumb bass but someone on here thinks the vester is better iirc. Might go for a fretted vester tho' ;)

I fell in love with the looks of the Corvette long before I tried one. I eventually bought one, tried the neck (after having mainly Jazzes) and thought I'd made a mistake - the neck felt as chunky as my Mike Dirnt P.

However, I loved the sound of the active MECs and all those tone options and kept picking it up. And putting it down again.

A couple of years on and I now find it's the most comfortable neck shape for me. It's thin at the nut but thick enough front-to-back to be comfortable after a gig (I now find the thin Jazz neck makes my fingers ache after a while). It's also a light bass that's easy on the back, is small enough to chuck around and different enough that I've never seen another one being gigged.

I love my Corvette $$ so much I bought a second one, then commissioned a clone (plus another body), so now have the makings of four $$s.

On the other hand, I thoroughly dislike every other body shape that Warwick produces, so I don't think you should put them all in the same boat.

[size=4]> [/size][color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Warwick - Love or Hate?[/font][/color]

[color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Love - specifically a nice Streamer off Warwickhunt years ago... Forky sound with bags of extra low-end if needed.[/font][/color]

I love them with a passion .

Always loved the look and dreamed about having gone, long before I ever played one.

From the moment my fingers touched my Thumb BO5 fretless, it was love. It just fits. I got its fretted twin a few years back and seriously haven't lusted after anything since. They are just for me :)

Edited by fragility

I've got 3 Rockbasses and love them to bits - shape, sound, feel, you name it. I played the real deals when I visited the Warwick Custom Shop in NYC in April this year - and loved them to bits! Especially the Corvette Standard (fretted 5).

Right. Waiting for someone to post saying that Warwicks are women's basses... :rolleyes: :lol: :P