Why become a member? ×

Cheap and cheerful effects

Thunderbird

I was just wondering if there are any good cheapo bass distortion/overdrive pedals that are worth trying for lets say around £40 new or used I just want to play about with them at home so obviously not looking to buy any top end gear. :) I already have a Boss ODB-3 and a Behringer vintage tube overdrive (believe it or not the Behringer is surprisingly good) but just wondered what else you guys could throw into the mix. cheers :)

I love Marshall effects and have never paid more than £32 for one. I've got nearly all of them now; Guv'nors, Jackhammers, chorus, trem (Supervibe), reflector, blues breaker etc etc. most work just fine on bass as well as guitar.

Very well built, sound great and are simple to use. You might not get the functionality you'll get with more boutique-y effects but they're cheap!

Truckstop

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1380672496' post='2228900']
The Digitech bass driver is £40-£45 at most places and I think it's a seriously underrated pedal.

The Digitech stuff just plays so nicely with other pedals too!
[/quote] Yeah I like that pedal but I cant find mine so didn't list it think my mates nicked it the B@@@@@d fiver says I don't see that again oh well

I've already mentioned this in the 'trem for bass' thread, but the NUX mod core is a superb bit of kit. Cast metal case, stereo ins and outs and all the modulation you could ever want: Chorus, flanger, pan, trem, vibrato, phaser and a surprisingly good rotary cab simulator.

I think I picked mine up for less than 30 of your Earth pounds from Hong Kong.

I found the Danelectro Wasabi overdrive very usable on bass, the 'blend' control to mix the distortion with the clean signal's proper useful. The 'boost' function less so, but I guess if you wanted to do an OTT solo or something it might come in handy. Definitely less than £40 used, I think they're about that new.

Sorry, you said overdrive, clearly my suggestion wasn't overdrive. But still.....a good vibrato.
I'd stay away from the ODB-3, plenty of good suggestions here.
I always thought the Boss Mega Distortion was great on bass, I picked one up for £27 on eBay :-P

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1380754877' post='2230300']
Sorry, you said overdrive, clearly my suggestion wasn't overdrive. But still.....a good vibrato.
I'd stay away from the ODB-3, plenty of good suggestions here.
I always thought the Boss Mega Distortion was great on bass, I picked one up for £27 on eBay :-P

Si
[/quote] Hi Si just wondered why you say stay away from the ODB-3 I have one but have not really played with it much its not very "dirty" though if you get what I mean? :)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1380793032' post='2230531']
Hi Si just wondered why you say stay away from the ODB-3 I have one but have not really played with it much its not very "dirty" though if you get what I mean? :)
[/quote]

It just sounds like a bee-in-a-jar, not overdrive at all, a mild fuzz maybe. The blend just makes that rubbish effect less distinct. I think Boss are great, but they fell over on this one IMO.
It's probably fine for home use, but I found it utterly useless in a band setting. I would say go with the Xotic BB Bass Preamp, super solid drive/overdrive, but not cheap (albeit usually under a ton). The Xotic is essentially a modded Tubescreamer circuit, so with that in mind, for a cheap equivalent, the Bad Monkey is a good bet, although some people do have to mod them to retain more bass.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1380797481' post='2230629'] It just sounds like a bee-in-a-jar, not overdrive at all, a mild fuzz maybe. The blend just makes that rubbish effect less distinct. [/quote]

With the lower gain and low mids boost mods it's quite a good pedal

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1380801315' post='2230692']
Thanks Si I get what you mean the ODB-3 is very mild will go on a quest to find cheaper fun pedals :)
[/quote]

By the sound of things you're looking for a fuzz rather than an overdrive. The ODB-3 pushes into fuzz territory at it's higher settings.

Personally I found the worst thing about the ODB was it's description - it's not really an overdrive, at least not a smooth one, and retains a fizzy edge whatever the settings. I thought it was very good at aggressive tones that stopped short of full on fuzz, the sort of thing that would probably appeal to fans of active basses into GK gear.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1380825097' post='2231241']
By the sound of things you're looking for a fuzz rather than an overdrive. The ODB-3 pushes into fuzz territory at it's higher settings.

Personally I found the worst thing about the ODB was it's description - it's not really an overdrive, at least not a smooth one, and retains a fizzy edge whatever the settings. I thought it was very good at aggressive tones that stopped short of full on fuzz, the sort of thing that would probably appeal to fans of active basses into GK gear.
[/quote] Thanks for that Musky maybe I should play with the ODB- 3 and give it more of a chance I am not the most patient person lol :)

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1380825097' post='2231241']

[/quote]

I agree, however, it's not even an average Fuzz sound lol

Si

I really like my [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ashdown James Lomenzo Hyperdrive, I'm probably going to sell all my pedals as I use a Line6 X3 Live now with a Variax, but I might just keep the Hyperdrive as it's too good for the money I'd get for it.[/font][/color]