Why become a member? ×

metallica.....

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1380620357' post='2227838']
I was a huge fan of them but anything after the black album in my eyes is a pile of brown steaming stuff but that's just my opinion :)
[/quote]
+1 Not only your opinion, but also the opinion of many other former Metallica fans

I got into them via Reload, as that was released during my early teens.

I quickly and fastidiously bought everything prior to that album and had my eyes and ears opened.

The snarling Cliff Burton basslines, the searing guitars. I loved Jason Newsted stuff too.

I don't know, I've grown away from it all and I revisit it for nostalgic reasons.

I remember guffawing when I first heard St.Anger, and I just don't get the choices made sound wise and while I'm certain there are great songs on there, I can't get past the sound.

Some Kind Of Monster was a ridiculous decision, it really made them look like a bunch of out of touch clowns. It confirmed people's opinions about them and was so 'Spinal Tap' it was unbearable, not a tongue in any cheek at any point, it was such a daft move.

It always comes across that Lars is a tit, James is a grumpy old sod and Kirk is just along for the ride these days. Rob - I have no opinion on really.

I'd never and have not bought any of their output since S&M, and I would never pay to see the current incarnation.

The Lou Reed thing was a total f***ing disgrace, and this 3D movie with Roadie back story can disappear up it's own arse as far as I'm concerned.

Erm...rant over.

I'm surprise no body has blamed the demise of metallica on Cliff's death..... That usually cops the brunt of most if these threads.
I got into 'tallica around the time the black album came out and I remember being blown away by enter sandman and sad but true.
I quickly went down the rabbit hole, and discovered cliff, and their first three albums. "Justice" has never say well with me, and can't point out why, but when load and reload came out I turned away as it had "gone soft".
After years without metallica in my life I am back hooked on it, and on some level appreciate ALL of their stuff, but I think death magnetic is a triumphant return. Rob is an awesome player and goes a long way to restoring the groove missing since cliff died.
I saw them two years ago, and they were amazing!

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1380635243' post='2228195']
It's amazing how "..And Justice" has aged so well though, dodgy bass-less sound that it is: there's no aging it as it is so unique sounding.

[/quote]

Have a listen to [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJweUcdPvOQ&list=PLu3rVqgTQ-atjFJ1feQCfpk3KK93-wn0-"]these[/url], ripped them or a similar version to mp3 and makes a rocking album even more - I'm not the author btw, just found them a few years back and still enjoy them now and then

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but until the Black Album Metallica hadn't actually sold many records had they? Since that album, they've become one of the biggest (in terms of sales) rock bands on the planet, selling many millions of CDs. Hardly a "demise" is it?

I suspect a lot of people who think that once a band has become successful (in terms of sales), then somehow they've sold out and it's wrong to continue to like them.

Personally I prefer their later material. I've listened to the earlier stuff (I have all the CDs) but it may as well be by a different band. It does nothing for me at all.

I understand that a lot of guitarists don't rate Kirk Hammett very highly, but as someone once pointed out (on a YouTube comment I think), he's the lead guitarist in one of the biggest rock bands there is, so he can't be that bad. The same could apply to the whole band.

A list of their albums ranked by the number sold would be interesting. I wonder which would be their "best" and which their "worst" album?

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1381682408' post='2242242']
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but until the Black Album Metallica hadn't actually sold many records had they? Since that album, they've become one of the biggest (in terms of sales) rock bands on the planet, selling many millions of CDs. Hardly a "demise" is it?

I suspect a lot of people who think that once a band has become successful (in terms of sales), then somehow they've sold out and it's wrong to continue to like them.

Personally I prefer their later material. I've listened to the earlier stuff (I have all the CDs) but it may as well be by a different band. It does nothing for me at all.

I understand that a lot of guitarists don't rate Kirk Hammett very highly, but as someone once pointed out (on a YouTube comment I think), he's the lead guitarist in one of the biggest rock bands there is, so he can't be that bad. The same could apply to the whole band.

A list of their albums ranked by the number sold would be interesting. I wonder which would be their "best" and which their "worst" album?
[/quote]
Famously, on their tour as support to Ozzy Osbourne in '86, Peter Mensch (manager) told the band, that upon their return to San Francisco, they would all be able to buy houses. Presumably, they had sold few records by then.

By the time "master if puppets was out they were (at least I think they were) the highest selling thrash metal band, but you are correct that the sales of the black album dwarf any in their earlier releases.
I heard Lars interviewed and he was discussing "selling out". in his mind at least, if they had kept making the same music and selling the same sound to the same fans to him was selling out. The band wanted to try something different, and for them it worked well. For the fans who just wanted more of the same angry thrash, they felt short changed and metallica had sold out.
Personally I think "master of puppets" was their master piece, they havnt had the same authenticity since puppets, but "justice" and "metallica" are stonking albums, "load" and "reload" by metallica's own admition were and sound a little forced, but have some shining moments. St Anger is literally the soundtrack to rehabilitation, and it is painfull to listen to, all the more so if you are a fan I the band and have seen some kind if monster.
I can't wait for their next album, I hope and pray it is more of "death magnetic" vibe, hopefully rick Rubin won't ruin it this time.
As far as the movie goes, is it the right thing to do? Plenty of other bands have done a similar thing, and besides it gives me a chance to get my revenge on the mrs for all the romantic comedy films I have had to endure over the years.

Despite the lack of bass and sh*te drum sound (guitar tone isn't up to much either) Justice is my favourite of theirs these days. I don't have the first record, or Load/Reload but I do pefer the thrash era.

Death Magnetic was okay, but not stunning - made worse by the overdriven snare drum and horrible brick wall limiter on the mastering.

Other things to note ; good to see metallica celebrate 30 years by inviting all their idols/ influences onto the stage and play with them.
In that instance, metallica never forgot where they came from. Who would've thought they'd get that far..even in the puppets days.

Then we have Lulu. WTF??

And of course we have protools. Cut and pace riffs anyone ?

Kirk is an awesome guitarist, but he shouldn't really solo imho.

Cliff was the most talented . Jason was great. Robert is amazing.

The next fashion for all artists is books&films. It's not just metallica that are guilty of this.

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1381699382' post='2242665']
Kirk is an awesome guitarist, but he shouldn't really imho
[/quote]

Or at the very least have his wah pedal removed from him and told to start thinking about notes rather than just making a lot of wah noise.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1381699382' post='2242665']
Cliff was the most talented . Jason was great. Robert is amazing.
[/quote]

I think Jason deserves more credit than he usually receives, to my mind - he came in; put down some superb basslines which really, really work; and did so whilst being treated like sh*t by the rest of the band. Not a bad showing :)

[quote name='Mace' timestamp='1381681354' post='2242227']
Have a listen to [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJweUcdPvOQ&list=PLu3rVqgTQ-atjFJ1feQCfpk3KK93-wn0-"]these[/url], ripped them or a similar version to mp3 and makes a rocking album even more - I'm not the author btw, just found them a few years back and still enjoy them now and then
[/quote]

Nice. All it needs now is reverb.

Funny thing, I never thought of Jason as anything special but here's his track to "One" and he can tell it's played quite well with a good groove and an outstanding tone. What was their problem? [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfuHxpnijYM[/media]

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1381755944' post='2243168']
I love St Anger... Seriously. One day, it will be understood.
[/quote]

St Anger is a tricky one, but it does actually boast some of Metallica's fastest songs and I can respect it for what it was and going by some of the demo songs that didn't make it on to the album it could've been far worse.

I'll just say quickly that I'm a big fan and I genuinely enjoy each album in some way or another, but Master of Puppets is THE quintessential album.

Although Lulu and Beyond Magnetic are painful and inexcusable.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1381755944' post='2243168']
I love St Anger... Seriously. One day, it will be understood.
[/quote]

Far better than reload. The question that will always hang over this album; why did lars insist on recording the drums in the kitchen with frying pans?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1381775694' post='2243619']
Far better than reload. The question that will always hang over this album; why did lars insist on recording the drums in the kitchen with frying pans?
[/quote]
I actually quite like the drum sound... :rolleyes: It's weird, the whole production seems to even out as the album goes on... Frantic sounds bizarre, but All Within My Hands is almost normal. That aside, I genuinely believe the songs are excellent (Invisible Kid aside) - probably the most honest album they've ever made, a real primal expression.