Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cabs, pricing issues??

bridge

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1380527900' post='2226436']
Some of us are magpies, attracted by the latest shiny thing. Them pretty ones from the Swedish company for example :D
[/quote]

From my understanding, (and I could be wrong) TKS have been building cabinets for quite some time, and have a much larger presence in their home country, (understandably). They are very much in the same camp as Bergantino when it comes to high quality, well made, and well finished cabinets.

I have tried a TKS 12/6 and, if you could see it and hear it, you would be impressed. The weight/size/volume is quite something.

With regards to any aesthetics and fit/finish, I expect only the best for boutique products. If I pay a significant amount of money for a cabinet with high end speaker (s), crossover, horn, and general build, I expect it to be 'finished' in a way that completes the package. It isn't hard to do right, it just takes some time to design and source the right parts, etc.

The TKS cabs, despite coming from Sweden, and are actually potentially cheaper than some of our homegrown British products.

Had a Midget, sold it and bought a S12T. Best decision ever! Before going Barefaced i was always changing cabs in search for the one that would be light, loud and clean.

I paid a significant sum for this cab but i know that i would never get anything close tho it for the same amount of money.

This is the reason why i don't plan selling mine in the near future and if i do i won't lower the price i paid (not too much). They're pricey but worth it. I also think that the looks aren't the most atractive on the market and would really love to see it with a cleaner finish but once i plug it in i forget about it.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1380535081' post='2226582']
If I'm using pro gear and its been used for a few years it's already paid for itself imo, i wouldn't worry to much about future value of possible used prices as long as it's what you want at a price you are happy with.
[/quote]

+1

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1380489789' post='2226179']
Having had a couple of BF cabs I suppose I`m a bit biased, but I can`t understand why some seem to dislike light, powerful, easy to transport cabs with virtually no colouration of the sound.
[/quote]

Me neither in general but I completely get the fact that a barefaced cab wont work in certain circumstances e.g. where someone has previously been using a clean amp with a "growly" speaker.

Whilst I've no intention (or money come to that) of buying another cab since getting a S12T a couple of years back, I think the choices around now are certainly more varied for someone after this type of cab. I'd have to look at TKS and EAD as well I think. The latest BF ruse of getting a driver specially tailored is very interesting however. Considering the prototyping and research that goes into the cabs, and the investment in manufacturing methods, they are not unreasonable.

I was looking at some old Facebook photos of mine of my first decent gigging rig - a Hartke HA3500 in a flight case, sat on top of an Ashdown 410 and a 115, and the trolley I used to cart the stuff across pub car parks. Then gazed at my S12T with an Orange TB500 glowing gently on the top - clearer, brighter, louder and way, way, lighter, and remembered why I'd forked out all that cash a few months ago

I've noticed there is a camp of Barefaced haters on here, they are definitely in a minority and I cannot say whether it's a justified opinion or not - who knows what experience these people have had (I notice they are being quiet on the subject presently).

I can say though, that Barefaced cabs present you with a very uncoloured sound, so with some amps, especially ones designed to go with very coloured cabs (e.g. rhymes with shampeg), what comes out might not be to your liking. (e.g. if the previous cab had a very scooped sound, and the amp that works really well with it has tons of mid-range - switching to Barefaced will result in a really mid-heavy sound).

If you love your amp, and a certain cab makes it sound like crud, you're not going to like that cab. However misinformed that reasoning may be...

One other point to note is that they are very popular on here - and are often (but not always) snapped up within minutes of being posted for sale on here ..... if you put the right price on it.

So, if anyone is looking to try one, you can just buy a second hand one one, here or elsewhere, in the knowledge that you would be able to move it on quite easily if it turned out not to be for you.

i think it will very much depend on how good the G3 cabs are.
Using new bespoke drivers, there will obviously be differences.
Are these drivers as reliable as the Emminence drivers from the G2? Time will tell.

For now I am happy with my Super12T. That said I am still unsure as to whether I will be able to get it in the boot of my next car (Toyota GT86) which will probably come in November.
At that time I might be looking at a BB2 or a Super Midget just so i can use my cab at rehearsals......but I hope I can continue to use my Super12T

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1380623768' post='2227897']
You're not buying the car to fit the cab?
[/quote]
I already have a car that fits the cab (Mazda6 estate) - but it bores me to tears - I like driving - I drive more than I play bass.....

Was going to get a Porsche but there would've been NO WAY I could carry ANY cab in one of them....compromised with the GT86....a BB2 or SuperMidget or Super Compact will definitely fit....S12T I'm not so sure.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1380624330' post='2227919']
I already have a car that fits the cab (Mazda6 estate) - but it bores me to tears - I like driving - I drive more than I play bass.....

Was going to get a Porsche but there would've been NO WAY I could carry ANY cab in one of them....compromised with the GT86....a BB2 or SuperMidget or Super Compact will definitely fit....S12T I'm not so sure.
[/quote]

I dare you to get a trailer made for that Porsche. :lol: Or a roof rack. :mellow:

:)