Why become a member? ×

Practicing through a computer.

Maude

Evenin' :) ,

As a complete computer dullard I have a question which I'll get to in a mo.
I usually practice along to recordings on my phone or to stuff on youtube, with my phone, bass and headphones all plugged into my Line6 x3 Live, it works fine but I can't be arsed to set it all up every time I practice. It may not seem much but phone charger, Line 6 power, bass lead, phone lead, headphones, etc, I end up tangled up with a load of leads and then the door goes, you get the picture.
Now the question, and bear in mind I'm very handy once in the know but just not in the know at the mo (there's a lyric in there somewhere :D ).
What would I need to enable me to plug my bass into my computer (desktop tower jobby) and play along to everything on there, youtube, downloads, CDs, etc.
I've seen the VST effect thingies like this ([url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-VST-Multi-Effects-Plugins-Great-Bass-Sound-Digital-Download-Version-/130609697712?pt=US_Computer_Recording_Software&hash=item1e68f1d3b0"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-VST-Multi-Effects-Plugins-Great-Bass-Sound-Digital-Download-Version-/130609697712?pt=US_Computer_Recording_Software&hash=item1e68f1d3b0[/url]) and thought it would be ideal but don't really know.
I could get some wireless headphones so it really would be just plug the bass in and away I go.
Years ago I had a laptop and had to get an external soundcard with low latency so my playing didn't lag when we recorded some stuff but is that needed today as computers are more powerful, what figures should I be looking for on my PC.
I'll also add I'm currently putting all my CDs onto the PC and will be hooking a decent stereo up to it so I can listen to my music collection and I could practice through that as well, I'm not massively worried about the quality of the bass, just simplicity.
Your thoughts and knowledge will be gratefully received.

I have used guitar pro clone that is free online called Tuxguitar with the Bass plugins but it does not let you play along to youtube it just plays along the song beat wise that you download and you follow the tab on screen or theres guitar pro 6 I have not tried it as it is expensive.

Tuxguitar link. [url="http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/"]http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/[/url] Hope this helps.

Edited by Thunderbird

I have my music on the PC & it's linked into a Digitech Genesis 1 which I'm listening to via headphones. The music from the PC playes through te Genesis & I can play over it & hear myself on the headphones.

Externally silent. The Genesis 1 is fairly cheap on Ebay - the Genesis 3 is a different animal - essentially a GNX 1 in a different case, but is more expensive & a lot heavier, however will do the same job.

These units are set up to emulate guitar amps, but you'll find something there that works for you - try Black Face through American 4x10

Both units use AC In, AC Out wall warts so make sure you get the correct one with it if you fancy this solution.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

You can get low latency on the built in sound even on old machines if you install the ASIO4ALL driver. I got 10ms through my old Pentium 4 over 10 years ago!

Also, if you're not bothered about applying amp models you should be able to live monitor the signal with zero latency. Again that will depend on your setup but it worked with the bog standard AC97 on board sound on my old machine, just by ticking the box in the mixer on Windows XP to pipe the line in straight through to the output.

I think it depends on the PC, soundcard and operating system. I had a series of old Thinkpads (T20 to T60) running XP, and with those I'd plug straight into the line-in socket, just using a homemade 1/4" mono jack to stereo mini-jack lead. It wasn't recording quality, but good enough for practice and I could play along with any source, mp3, youtube etc. Didn't notice latency and didn't need an ASIO driver.

Now I have an HP Pavilion g6 with Windows 7 and that method doesn't work. I installed ASIO4ALL. The problem with that is ASIO will only handle one sound source at a time, so you can't hear bass and an mp3 at the same time. I also installed Amplitube, which has a built-in mp3 player, but you still can't play along to Youtube or Songster. I didn't like Amplitube anyway, the only good thing I can say about it is it's free.

I tried several other things, including hooking VST plugins together through VSTHost, and the Lindy USB guitar cable (which has dreadful latency), but could never get round the ASIO limitation.

So I now plug the bass into an Ampeg Portflex PF350 with the laptop going to Audio In and that works very well through headphones. I can leave it all connected though.

Erm I'm not familiar with the x3 live but you should be able to plug that into your PC, use Line 6's Gearbox software to amp & model your sounds and play along side YT, MP3s or your DAW - as I do but with a Line 6 Toneport in place of the x3? Or am I missing something here with yuor question?

Thanks for all the replies,

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1380408656' post='2225010']
You can get low latency on the built in sound even on old machines if you install the ASIO4ALL driver. I got 10ms through my old Pentium 4 over 10 years ago!

Also, if you're not bothered about applying amp models you should be able to live monitor the signal with zero latency. Again that will depend on your setup but it worked with the bog standard AC97 on board sound on my old machine, just by ticking the box in the mixer on Windows XP to pipe the line in straight through to the output.
[/quote]

I'll pull the tower out later and see what inputs and outputs I have on the back. It has a Pentium 4 running Windows 7 so it might possibly work as it is.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1380444779' post='2225186']
Erm I'm not familiar with the x3 live but you should be able to plug that into your PC, use Line 6's Gearbox software to amp & model your sounds and play along side YT, MP3s or your DAW - as I do but with a Line 6 Toneport in place of the x3? Or am I missing something here with yuor question?
[/quote]

Yes what I have works fine an I can just run another lead from the computer to the X3 to use youtube but that's just the problem, I don't want to be connecting leads and equipment all the time, it doesn't seem much but my life is very busy and practice doesn't happen as often as it should because I have to get the X3 out of it's case, then plug in the phone lead, computer lead, phone charger, bass lead, X3 power lead, headphones lead, so if I can only grab a 15 minute practice is isn't worth bothering with.
If I can just plug a bass straight into the computer and play along to all the music stored on there and on the internet then it would be so much easier.

I could get another external gadget but was hoping to just plug straight in, also that way I can play along without headphones through the stereo system that will be hooked up to the computer without having to run from the computer into the the external gadget and then from that into the stereo or computer as I'd have to keep swapping the inputs on the stereo.

Ideal setup would be Bass>Computer>Stereo system/headphones with all sources be able to be heard simultaneously, without spending a load of dosh.

I'll also add I'm not worried about amp modelling or effects, I just want to practice not play a live gig through it, although the possibility of a few effects would be nice :)

Edited by Maude

So if I get an interface of some sort then will it always be 'on' so to speak so that I can open up youtube or my music files and just play along?
Or do I have to have a program that allows me to run youtube, etc with the bass interface?

It's cheap and probably poor quality but please lets not get into that debate, but something as simple as this I suppose would be my best option

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Promotions-Guitar-to-USB-Interface-Link-Audio-Cable-PC-MAC-Recording-Adapter/310707231400?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D17233%26meid%3D1628186531065811607%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D8045%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D190705823610%26"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Promotions-Guitar-to-USB-Interface-Link-Audio-Cable-PC-MAC-Recording-Adapter/310707231400?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D17233%26meid%3D1628186531065811607%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D8045%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D190705823610%26[/url]

With this I presume I can just play along to whatever I've got running and if my stereos turned on it should all come through that, or plug headphones in to please my wife.
I can just double sided tape it to the top of the PC tower.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1380455346' post='2225434']
It's cheap and probably poor quality but please lets not get into that debate, but something as simple as this I suppose would be my best option

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Promotions-Guitar-to-USB-Interface-Link-Audio-Cable-PC-MAC-Recording-Adapter/310707231400?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D17233%26meid%3D1628186531065811607%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D8045%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D190705823610%26"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Promotions-Guitar-to-USB-Interface-Link-Audio-Cable-PC-MAC-Recording-Adapter/310707231400?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D17233%26meid%3D1628186531065811607%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D8045%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D190705823610%26[/url]

With this I presume I can just play along to whatever I've got running and if my stereos turned on it should all come through that, or plug headphones in to please my wife.
[/quote]i bought one of those and it never worked ( with win 8 anyway) had to go with the more expensive focusrite saffire

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1380455346' post='2225434']

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Promotions-Guitar-to-USB-Interface-Link-Audio-Cable-PC-MAC-Recording-Adapter/310707231400?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D17233%26meid%3D1628186531065811607%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D8045%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D190705823610%26"]http://www.ebay.co.u...190705823610%26[/url]

[/quote]

Worth a go for fiver.

Regards your other question, just use YouTube or MP3s as normal and you'll need the software for the interface running as well to control you volume. Windows volume controls for mixing and matching your levels.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1380457539' post='2225478']

Worth a go for fiver.

Regards your other question, just use YouTube or MP3s as normal and you'll need the software for the interface running as well to control you volume. Windows volume controls for mixing and matching your levels.
[/quote]yea well worth a go for a fiver, says win 7 in the description so it will probably work

What I do for practising on my PC is use a mixer.

I have the output from my PC going into one channel, my bass plugged into another channel (I have DI box for this), and then the mixer output goes into the line-in on my PC soundcard as well as into my hi-fi amp. I can then use headphones to play along to the PC, or I can play "out loud" by using my hifi amp. I can also record practise sessions this way.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1380454243' post='2225396']
When i had win xp i simply plugged straight into the pink input and my bass sounded great, no lag and i could play along to youtube, win media player, record stuff on audacity. Now i have win7 i have bad latency and need to use an interface.
[/quote]

That was my experience too. Win7 seems to have screwed up that element of audio, and I can't see what else it's made better. When people say what works for them, please say what the OS is, it makes a difference.

My recollection of the Line6 UX1 was I couldn't get anything out of the bass without loading the Gearbox software, and I didn't like it at all. On Win7.

@Maude: The Guitar Link gadget might work, but it says there's an mp3 player function, which makes me suspect it will rely on ASIO and have the same limitations, ie no Youtube.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've just managed to snag this lot for £80 so hopefully it will do all I need, and can be set up out the way somewhere to not annoy others.
I'm picking it up on Tuesday.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-SET-UP-AUDIO-RECORDING-PC-WITH-Behringer-ms40-digital-monitors-speakers-/281177648418?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=DUbpb%252Bvta2iK0Qcx5moLBDWqTxU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-SET-UP-AUDIO-RECORDING-PC-WITH-Behringer-ms40-digital-monitors-speakers-/281177648418?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=DUbpb%252Bvta2iK0Qcx5moLBDWqTxU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc[/url]