Why become a member? ×

Practicing through a computer.

Maude

I have windows 7 and I just plug my bass into the mic socket on my laptop, I think I remember having to play around with the PC's mixer at the time to get it to work but it's fine for playing along to anything that's playing on my computer, 1 channel only though.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1381753941' post='2243129']
I have windows 7 and I just plug my bass into the mic socket on my laptop, I think I remember having to play around with the PC's mixer at the time to get it to work but it's fine for playing along to anything that's playing on my computer, 1 channel only though.
[/quote]

Well, perhaps it's my laptop or the soundcard then. On mine, the latency makes it unusable

[quote name='Rubbersoul' timestamp='1381858830' post='2244661']
The UX1 can also use POD farm or other sims like Amplitube. Nice looking deal on the bundle btw.
[/quote]

I had no end of problems with Amplitube. The most annoying was that, on a 15" wide screen laptop, the bottom half of the Amplitube window is off the screen, and you can't resize it. The only way I could use it was with a 19" TV as a monitor. I never found a way to make it see the UX1.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1382144494' post='2248730']
Well, perhaps it's my laptop or the soundcard then. On mine, the latency makes it unusable

[/quote]

I had this trouble till I unchecked the listen to this device box in the mixer or the software play through box in audacity

This all sounds very complicated.
I have a little blue tooth transmitter and a little blue tooth receiver that cost about £6 each on Amazon.
I plug the receiver into my home hifi amp ' Aux in' via a mini jack to red and white phono jack splitter then plug the transmitter into any thing with a mini jack out socket and that's it.
Having a 'mike in' and a separate volume control on the amp helps coz I just bung the bass straight in too.
If I use my phone I can link to the receiver directly.

Works for me.

[quote name='Nick Riffed' timestamp='1382188318' post='2249062']
This all sounds very complicated.
I have a little blue tooth transmitter and a little blue tooth receiver that cost about £6 each on Amazon.
I plug the receiver into my home hifi amp ' Aux in' via a mini jack to red and white phono jack splitter then plug the transmitter into any thing with a mini jack out socket and that's it.
Having a 'mike in' and a separate volume control on the amp helps coz I just bung the bass straight in too.
If I use my phone I can link to the receiver directly.

Works for me.
[/quote]

Which brings us back full circle, plugging bass and computer into an external amp. That's what I do, only using a wire, rather than Bluetooth. The OP didn't want to do that, because he couldn't leave it set up, and the assembly time, however small, gave him an excuse not to practice.

[quote name='Nick Riffed' timestamp='1382231037' post='2249607']
You would be surprised about how many things there are kicking around my house that I can plug my bass into, none of them happen to be a computer. Lol.
[/quote]

Well there's my solution then . . . . . . . . . . I'm coming to live with you!! :D

Out of the bundle I bought, I will use the Steinberg MI2 interface into my computer and the Behringer (see if that gets past the swear filter) Ms40 monitors out of it.
They both have enough ins and outs to make whatever I need doable, if there's any latency issues then my bass can go straight to monitors while the PC pipes in whatever I want to play along with, there's two volumes on the monitors so PC on one and bass on the other to balance the sound.
I don't need the PC that came with it so I should easily be able to flog that for £50 (maybe more, it is tower, monitor, mouse and a decent keyboard) and I'm only out of pocket £30 for the interface, monitors and a carrier bag jam packed full of every type of lead I could possibly need.
It'll all stay wired up so I can just plug a bass in, which live in a rack next to the PC, whenever I've got some spare time. My Line6 X3 can stay in the rehearsal room with the amp and it all leads to not carrying gear around and setting up all the time.

Job jobbed :) .

Edited by Maude

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1382275023' post='2249901']
Well there's my solution then . . . . . . . . . . I'm coming to live with you!! :D

Out of the bundle I bought, I will use the Steinberg MI2 interface into my computer and the Behringer (see if that gets past the swear filter) Ms40 monitors out of it.
They both have enough ins and outs to make whatever I need doable, if there's any latency issues then my bass can go straight to monitors while the PC pipes in whatever I want to play along with, there's two volumes on the monitors so PC on one and bass on the other to balance the sound.
I don't need the PC that came with it so I should easily be able to flog that for £50 (maybe more, it is tower, monitor, mouse and a decent keyboard) and I'm only out of pocket £30 for the interface, monitors and a carrier bag jam packed full of every type of lead I could possibly need.
It'll all stay wired up so I can just plug a bass in, which live in a rack next to the PC, whenever I've got some spare time. My Line6 X3 can stay in the rehearsal room with the amp and it all leads to not carrying gear around and setting up all the time.

Job jobbed :) .
[/quote]

You may have to share a bed with a Greyhound!