Why become a member? ×

Outdoor gig, possibility of rain....

Marvin

...what bass does one use?

The old one that might not work that well and can be a little uncomfortable to play at times. The trusty one, that you still don't getting wet or damaged. Or the new one that you're desperate to play live but just don't want any water to get within a country mile of it.

What to do? ;)

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1380050996' post='2220198']
The new one and take a towel. :)
[/quote]

Like your style

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1380051061' post='2220199']
What's the problem - you're not actually going to play IN the rain are you?

That would raise more important questions for me than which bass might get wet. :o
[/quote]

It is Britain, of course we'll playing in the rain ;)

If you don't have adequate shelter from the elements, then DON'T do it!

The damage that might occur to your bass is the least important thing, have you not thought about the fact that WATER and ELECTRIC don't go together too well? and please do ensure that you have proper isolation from the ground as well.

Health & safety would never allow you to play in conditions where you might get rained on, whilst playing electrical instruments.

And also make sure that you, and the event organisers have proper insurance in place too!

I might sound a bit OTT, but I would like you to be around to tell us how the gig went afterwards. :i-m_so_happy:

Played a gig last year on an outdoor bandstand which ended up being like playing on the front of a trawler in a storm at sea. We were [i]drenched[/i]. I was using a very expensive bass at the time, but as others have suggested, I was more worried about dying than my bass!

I started this thread as a bit of a joke, however, in all seriousness the organisation of the event is a bit meh! at best.

We're doing 30mins for a 'community event'. Up until yesterday we weren't even assured a single monitor. We've no idea what the staging area is like, how big it is or whether it's covered. It's only when I kicked up a stink did 2 monitors miraculously appear. AND...we're expected to get all our gear, including a full drum kit, on the stage, set it all up, mic the kit and do a sound check in less than 15mins whilst the act before get their stuff off the stage. Perhaps it's doable, I don't know. We've been told to have the kit semi set up by the side of the stage...I've yet to get a reply as to if there's any cover at the side of the stage.

Edited by Marvin

The band I was in last summer was suppose to play a Jubilee gig on common land, standing on grass, with not even a tarpaulin over us, no PA, and taking the electricity from the nearest lamp post, there was no ambulance on standby, and even if there was, it wouldn't have been able to drive over the rough ground to get to any unfortunate person suffering a heart attack or whatever, never mind electrocuted musicians.

Believe it or not, this was all organised by the local council who are normally health & safety mad, and they got the right hump when we told them we were not going to do it on safety grounds.

By the way, we weren't even getting paid for it!

...we're not getting paid either.

The organisers are elated that the local cafes and some traders will open on the sunday (they usually don't)...so once again musicians giving up their time for nothing and someone else making a profit out of it. This is the last time I do any of these, more grief than it's worth.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1380130065' post='2221313']
!5 minute changeover, good luck.
[/quote]

Just enough time to don cagoule and over-trousers.

Jokes to one side, one of the bands I play with do a lot of community and charity events. Some outdoor, some indoor. It's my experience that a lot of the organisers, who are usually lovely and committed people, often have no real idea about what's involved in putting on a band. If possible, you need to communicate early and tell them, 'right, this is what we need....etc'. I've often found the organisers are relieved that someone in the know can help them make it happen. A win-win. I wish I'd got a tenner for every time one of them has said 'Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that'.
A current example, I'm liaising with the organiser of an indoor fundraising event where we are to play a quiet set whilst other things are happening. I've persuaded the lady that we really need to be as close to a power-source as possible. It's for a charity supporting the independently-living sight impaired community. She just hadn't realised that we might have trailing cables. I'd prefer a better way to get in the papers!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1380051061' post='2220199']
What's the problem - you're not actually going to play IN the rain are you?

That would raise more important questions for me than which bass might get wet. :o
[/quote]

This................ if the stage is not tied down and waterproof, then no gig at all

We've been in that sort of situation before and have chosen to set up on the ground next to the stage. Get there early, setup and sound check and as soon as the other band has finished away you go. More professional that way too. You could also build your own canopy in case of the possible rain. Good luck!

A few minutes of drizzle will do little more than make some surfaces wet. Anything more then I think I'd be packing things away. There will always be better opportunities to play. How many will be in the wet watching?

I'm not a fan, but radio mics etc all helped this situation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adD-9JxQ8kc

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1380205941' post='2222308']
A few minutes of drizzle will do little more than make some surfaces wet. Anything more then I think I'd be packing things away. There will always be better opportunities to play. How many will be in the wet watching?
[/quote]

Did a gig last summer, in a kind of open fronted cricket pavillion. We we nice and dry, but it was pouring and all the punters were drenched.

Never underestimate the waterproofing properties of strong cider!