Why become a member? ×

This Week!

MB1

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='219621' date='Jun 16 2008, 08:54 AM']New Man-Raze/ManRaze/Man Raze album in the car this morning.
P[/quote]
Must buy this, is it good?

I have mostly been listening to In Absentia (Porcupine Tree)

A bit of Sinead O'Connor. She doesn't have enough bass in her vocal to permeate my soul, but I do like the sound of her voice and her passion.

I saw Malcolm McDowell's first film, "If..." a week or so ago, and have downloaded the 'Les Troubadours Du Roi Baudouin' Missa Luba album.

enjoy...

Cara Dillon, "Sweet Liberty"
Karine Polwart, "This Earthly Spell"

I'm a sucker for good folk. These albums have the slowest, most non-technical basslines going. But FEEL by the bucketload. Marvellous. I've been annoying the neighbours with it :)

[quote name='barneyg42' post='220170' date='Jun 16 2008, 07:57 PM']Kim Mitchell[/quote]
Now there's a name I haven't heard for a long time (assuming it's the same Canadian guitarist I am thinking of).

Today I have mostly been listening to

[list]
[*]Nik Kershaw - You've got to laugh
[*]Presto Ballet - Peace among the ruins
[*]a quick mix of a noodle to try to decide where to take it :)
[/list]

went to see a band supporting Craig David called Mamas Gun and i was knocked out by them
Great bass player but great songs with plenty of feel
[url="http://www.mamasgun.co.uk/"]http://www.mamasgun.co.uk/[/url]
just a great band so waiting for their album in September

Mrs HH loved the bluesy feel of the Fiat advert (where the car disintegrates and then reforms when the bloke shows up) that she looked it up on the net and bought the album. The band are called the Sweet Vandals, and the track on the advert is called Beautiful.

They appear to be Spanish, recorded in Germany, singing in English. Great advert for the EU.

Most of the album is sort of James Brown influenced funky stuff - well played, but IMHO nothing new or different. The Beautiful track is the one that really stands out - I really like it.

The bass player plays some nice grooves - especially on their version of Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, which appears to be the only cover on there. If I was being hyper critical I would say that he could have done with a bit of compression on his feed as you do a few weak spots and clipping now and then.

Anyway, not too shabby. I keep playing a few tracks off it in the car, and to appease Mrs HH, I have even suggested to the band that we have a shot at a cover of Beautiful tonight to see if we can do anything with it. It's hard to think of the words without the Spanish accent on them though!

Wow, I'm beginning to sound like a second rate NME review here!

[quote name='WalMan' post='220579' date='Jun 17 2008, 01:52 PM'][*]Nik Kershaw - You've got to laugh[/quote]

My mate Julian Bown plays drums on that.... great jazzer. We used to do a residency nr. Bracknell and he played his t*** off. We swang like a swingy thing from swingtown! :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='220600' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:21 PM']I like one of the tunes on their Myspace site. Reminds me a bit of [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JSmZFBP3Nok"]Dag[/url].[/quote]
thankyou for introducing me to Dag, great groove

[quote name='Josh' post='220804' date='Jun 17 2008, 06:16 PM']Robert Randolph & The Family Band[/quote]
+1: RR&the FB's "Live at the Wetlands"

Phish: Madison Square Garden NYE 1998

Oteil & The Peacemakers (approved live bootleg straight from the desk). That Burbridge fella...

Burnin' for Buddy (Buddy Rich tribute album)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='220382' date='Jun 17 2008, 09:38 AM']He rocks. Have you heard 'Itch'? Fantastic![/quote]
I complement you on your taste - one of my top ten desert island albums!

Amazed that you like someone that I do..... :)