Why become a member? ×

Broken bass from Gear4Music

Gear4Music seem to sell a lot of factory damaged instruments. What shocks me is how much they go for. I'm sure I've seen damaged seconds go for half full RRP or so, which I consider too much for an instrument which being an el-cheapo, probably doesn't have much resale value anyhow.

But surely this is in such bad condition that it will sell for next to nowt. Surely... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Round-Back-Electro-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-by-Gear4music-Damaged-RRP-100-/300959825135?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item46129a7cef

I've been toying with ideas for a 'thinline' fretless electro/acoustic for a while now without taking the plunge and buying any wood. This will give me a chance to put those ideas to the test - who knows, this time next year I could be a millionaire (alternatively i may just have wasted £33 that would have been better spent on lottery tickets) :D

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1378847857' post='2205631']
You actually bought it? Sorry if I've offended you. It makes sense if you're going to build something from it.
[/quote]

No offence taken, its intended as a donor for a project - expect photos to appear in the build section ;-)

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1378849879' post='2205678']
No offence taken, its intended as a donor for a project - expect photos to appear in the build section ;-)
[/quote]

I would be very happy for you to make me eat my words by turning this £33 pile of something into a shining example of bass wonderment! Any thread you start, I'll subscribe to.

Well it arrived this morning, and despite the irony, it was extremely well packaged (in a cardboard guitar box, that itself was inside another large cardboard shipping box with plenty of loose packing around it).

Straight out of the box it was playable and in tune! If I wanted to, it would be a fairly simple job to pop the ABS shell off the soundboard and repair the shell before reaffixing. But that would be too simple........ The bass has a really nice neck of P bass proportions, and is quite loud for an acoustic, especially considering the damage to the bowl. Electronics all work (including the tuner) and so the winter project is a go go B)

Watch out for a (re)build thread soon :)

I foolishly brought a EUB from G4M came with a free broken neck, on the plus side it was cleared up for a full refund and a free VIP membership..which i have not used. <_<

I do suppose it would be good for a unique fixer upper opportunity spexcially if this winter turns savage.

Edited by Owencf

[quote name='Owencf' timestamp='1379010289' post='2207758']
I foolishly brought a EUB from G4M came with a free broken neck, on the plus side it was cleared up for a full refund and a free VIP membership..which i have not used. <_<

I do suppose it would be good for a unique fixer upper opportunity spexcially if this winter turns savage.
[/quote]

Out of interest, do you think the broken neck happened in the post between you and G4M, or do you think it might have been broken earlier than that?