Why become a member? ×

Great Designers. e.g. Leo Fender - he didn't even play them!

Chiliwailer

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378203498' post='2196880']
Well I have to say that I like the look of that very much, Rich! :gas:
[/quote]
Ta. It's rather the nuts. :)
I've gone active with my design this time though - my last one had a direct copy of the Wunkay's 'tronics with passive bass-boost. The Audere in this is amazing in conjunction with the MFD pup. I tried a U-retro in it first and it was utter balls - sounded ok on it's own (and the vintage Tokai J pup sang when soloed) but it was too scooped and sucked all life out of everything else in the room in a live setting.

Anyway back on track I'd go MFD in place of a P 9 times out of 10. Leo got it right(er) in the end. ;)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1378203925' post='2196896']
Yep spot on.
The neck pup is give or take a mil pretty much in the same spot as the wunkay. Me and Neepheid compared our respective G&Ls. I wish we'd done pics now.

And ta. :)
[/quote]

Does it still have that characteristic harsh G&L top end or does removing the preamp and having a passive wiring loom sweeten it to a more p-bass type thing? There'd be a few unsightly holes in the body too :unsure:

Although...keep both pups, rewire it to be V/V/T and rewire 2 switches to be coil selectors (one for each pup)...that might have possibilities and only leaves one teeny hole in the body!

Edited by andydye

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1378189715' post='2196689']
....Sorry, Leo Fender didn't "invent" the production line....
[/quote]

I didn't say he did.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1378189715' post='2196689']
....Fender also achieved something in bringing to the market cheap, affordable instruments for the mass market. It's the drive for cheapness that meant the had to use a production line method of manufacture....
[/quote]

Isn't that what I said?

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1378201138' post='2196841']
I'm sure if Leo had his way we'd all be playing G&L's instead of his early prototypes. It just people wanting to emulate their heros that keeps the F brand alive. How many people out there cite the P bass as being the ultimate weapon yet have never seen an L-1000 let alone heard or played one?
[/quote]

Yes, that is an awesome bass. I would like one in addition to my Fenders! I nearly got one years ago but I stuck to my Stingray, which I later sold! Looking back, I should have got one....

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1378204773' post='2196914']
Does it still have that characteristic harsh G&L top end or does removing the preamp and having a passive wiring loom sweeten it to a more p-bass type thing? There'd be a few unsightly holes in the body too :unsure:

Although...keep both pups, rewire it to be V/V/T and rewire 2 switches to be coil selectors (one for each pup)...that might have possibilities and only leaves one teeny hole in the body!
[/quote]

The only harsh top end I've ever had is when the "treble boost" switch is engaged, which sounds horrible to me. Other than that, I haven't heard this harshness you have described. You can switch the preamp off. I rarely use it and have my L-2000 running passive all the time. No harshness here, but your ears are different to mine :)

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1378204773' post='2196914']

[/quote]

Losing the L-2000 active pre is not a bad idea if your after a more chilled P bass type tone. My other main gigger uses a modern MFD (passive) out of an L-2000 but sounds almost exactly like the Wunkay. I have it with a reversed P pup (also G&L) but almost always only use the neck pup.

There you go. You've sussed it. Or you could wire the bridge pup up like an L-1500 and have your choice of old G&L basses. :D

edit - here's me other one :) (spot the 2 basses behind - Leo's greatest achievements ;) )

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1378206340' post='2196938']
The only harsh top end I've ever had is when the "treble boost" switch is engaged, which sounds horrible to me. Other than that, I haven't heard this harshness you have described. You can switch the preamp off. I rarely use it and have my L-2000 running passive all the time. No harshness here, but your ears are different to mine :)
[/quote]

I think he meant that whole "P bass on steroids" tone... which to be fair won't be everyone's taste.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1378206610' post='2196945']
Losing the L-2000 active pre is not a bad idea if your after a more chilled P bass type tone. My other main gigger uses a modern MFD (passive) out of an L-2000 but sounds almost exactly like the Wunkay. I have it with a reversed P pup (also G&L) but almost always only use the neck pup.
There you go. You've sussed it. Or you could wire the bridge pup up like an L-1500 and have your choice of old G&L basses. :D
[/quote]

So, what would the controls need to do in order to have the L1000 from the middle pup and the L1500 from the bridge pup? This could be a really useful project!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1378206340' post='2196938']
[/quote]
[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1378206674' post='2196947']
I think he meant that whole "P bass on steroids" tone... which to be fair won't be everyone's taste.
[/quote]

My previous experience of active G&Ls has been (USA 2x L2000, an L2500 an L1505 and a tribby JB-2) that with either of the treble settings on the pre it has a harsh top end that realy grates on my ears an ddoesn't sound at all pleasing, this renders a bunch of the options on the pre useless (to me) and reduces the versatility of the bass, if however I were to modify one to make it more useable and also to remove the treble problem then that'd be worth doing as the wood & hardware parts of the G&L are absolutely top notch!

Edited by andydye

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1378203203' post='2196875']
Yep. And old ones are increasingly hard to come by now. Although there are ways around it - the L-2000 is close and can be modified in the right direction. I have a '80 L-1000 in my collection and use it as inspiration to build a bit of Wunkay into all my own personal use basses.
My latest present to myself is letting everything else I gig or noodle with just gather dust. It's not even finished yet but I've gigged it twice now. :D

[/quote]
Nice cat, but he's never going to get the hang of floating thumb technique! :D

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1378207493' post='2196971']
So, what would the controls need to do in order to have the L1000 from the middle pup and the L1500 from the bridge pup? This could be a really useful project!
[/quote]

Probably something similar to those on my cream bass above. The knobs are a simple vol/treb/bass (although the circuit is quite complex) and the switches go > single/series/OMG mode (neck pup) > circuit select neck/both/bridge > series/parallel (bridge pup)

Always wanted to get me hands on a L 1000 but hardly come up and when they do they are in dream land dealer prices.

Leo Fender's designs did get better as he moved on.

Is there a jazz shaped bass with 2 MFD single coils?

P.S why don't you have a readily available gallery of your crazy contraptions, ou7shined?

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1378208547' post='2196989']
Probably something similar to those on my cream bass above. The knobs are a simple vol/treb/bass (although the circuit is quite complex) and the switches go > single/series/OMG mode (neck pup) > circuit select neck/both/bridge > series/parallel (bridge pup)
[/quote]

So the knobs do v/t/b but in a passive bass? oo'er!

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1378162117' post='2196617']

Sure, if you totally ignore the roles played by George Fullerton, Freddie Tavares, et al.
[/quote]

Of course, we love Leo but 7ender is a collective creation.
That's why this group of people made so legendary products.

Leo Fender, George Fullerton, Forest White, Freddy Tavares, Dale Hyatt, Don Randall...
Each member brought his skills : design, research & development, production, sales....

Leo, George & Forest spent their life together and created Musicman and G&L.
There are so many cool books about this story.
For example :

Edited by Emanew

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378201374' post='2196847']
I do, and I haven't. I suppose the P is just so ubiquitous. You don't have to think about it. You can always get your hands on one. You know what it's going to play like and sound like. It's easy and comfortable. You can pull her on like an old sea boot. :crazy: Or something.
[/quote]
Yep. Fenders are a reliable, known quantity and replaceable. You can do pretty much anything with a Fender...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2rolE9DlbA

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1378208911' post='2196998']
L-1000 = 1k = wunkay :)
[/quote]

Doh :dash1:

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1378208866' post='2196996']
Haha. Yeah he's more of a floating claw dude
[/quote]

That looks more like a musically related pin-down technique. Where that number I had for the RSPCA...

Kinda reminds me of a clinic I once saw of the respected Fender Custom Shop master builder John English (RIP 2007). When asked "Do you play guitar yourself?" people in the audience started snickering, but the guy replied: "I play a little nowadays, but I actually came into woodworking through the furniture industry, and rolled into guitar manifacture by accident".

[quote name='LeftyJ' timestamp='1378226694' post='2197353']
....Kinda reminds me of a clinic I once saw of the respected Fender Custom Shop master builder John English (RIP 2007). When asked "Do you play guitar yourself?" people in the audience started snickering, but the guy replied: "I play a little nowadays, but I actually came into woodworking through the furniture industry, and rolled into guitar manifacture by accident"....
[/quote]

The same for Pete Stevens who made Wal basses. He couldn't play a note.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1378224632' post='2197298']
That looks more like a musically related pin-down technique. Where that number I had for the RSPCA...
[/quote]
Haha no that's him just trying to sneak into my seat after I put my bass down to go have a wazz. He thinks he's the number 2 in the household and therefore entitled to the bosses seat when I'm not there. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1378229625' post='2197421']
Haha no that's him just trying to sneak into my seat after I put my bass down to go have a wazz. He thinks he's the number 2 in the household and therefore entitled to the bosses seat when I'm not there. :)
[/quote]

I think you'll find he actually is No.1 in the household.