Why become a member? ×

Great Designers. e.g. Leo Fender - he didn't even play them!

Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1378158577' post='2196541']
I'm in awe of Mr Fender, not only did he design one master piece but arguable he designed over a dozen.

So how does a radio repair man, who doesn't even play, become the architect of modern music?

For one, not only was he a great designer and visionary, he actually listened to players and what they wanted.

So, in the bass and guitar world, who does it for you? Or what do you think of Leo?
[/quote]

What you said is most important: Leo Fender had a listener's, not a player's, relationship to music. He said he wanted to design a guitar that would depend on the pickup, not on the body or box of the guitar. He was, in a real sense, disinterested--a great vantage point for any designer, but an odd one.

In a late interview, he said that a lot of people laughed at the Stratocaster when it came out. "I guess they're not laughing now," he added.

W.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1378217898' post='2197186']

Because people want me to build them all the time. :D
I'm currently doing 3 Basschater basses with a possible fourth on the way.
[/quote]

True and rightly so too, I just like looking at them personally.

That gold jazz with the MFD is to awesome.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378201374' post='2196847']
I do, and I haven't. I suppose the P is just so ubiquitous. You don't have to think about it.
[/quote]

Indeed. Fender have made a fortune out of selling P basses to people who don't think about it.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1378189715' post='2196689']

Henry Ford invented the production line for the manufacture of the Model T Ford car.

[/quote]
[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1378202553' post='2196869']

If we're going to be picky, Henry Ford didn't invent the production line either. :P

He was one of the first to successfully implement an [i]assembly[/i] line.
[/quote]
Henry Ford invented the 'moving' assembly line to be exact (hope I'm not sounding too school teacher like there, it's so hard to add good humoured inflection when typing, hopefully a smiley will help :) ) but nonetheless Fender's use of it for instrument production was inspired.

No love for Les Paul?

Edited by ezbass