Why become a member? ×

Rig suggestions

marcus bell

ebs all the way, thers is a couple of 1 x 15 pro 300 cabs on here at 370 each, 1 of them will do you, its a small compact medium weight cab and a bit of looking around you will find a hd 350.
Ifs its to much get an old hartke ha 3500 and a hi drive 4 10, I've had both and ebs is by far the best but still you 2 best options.

I've yet to hear anything sound as hi-fi and clear as my GK setup. Fusion 550 head into a 410MBX cab (have a matching 1x15 as well but never need it - crazy amounts of volume on tap with just one cab)
Rather over budget new probably but around the region for 2nd hand

I would suggest the EBS Reidmar and then look at a secondhand EBS cab, which there were a few of in the for sale section, or look at the EBS classic 112 cabs. Don't be fooled by the power of the Reidmar, it completely destroyed my MarkBass LM2 which was 500w and it was louder than my Aguilar Tonehammer 350.

The 112 cabs are fantastic and not too pricey, two of those will give you a good sound. I used the Reidmar with a EBS neo 4x10 which was about £450, but you can get some superb deals on the proline series. The whole rig was incredibly loud and punchy but clean and articulate! Easily kept up with a 10 piece band.

EBS have the best top end and general clarity of any amp I have used, I switched to Aguilar for a change and it is a great amp but it doesn't have the super clear top end of EBS, but I don't need that playing soul music.

[quote name='NickH' timestamp='1378105889' post='2195718']
I've yet to hear anything sound as hi-fi and clear as my GK setup. Fusion 550 head into a 410MBX cab (have a matching 1x15 as well but never need it - crazy amounts of volume on tap with just one cab)
Rather over budget new probably but around the region for 2nd hand
[/quote]

Have to agree with this. The Fusion 550 head is the most versatile I have ever used.

Hartke's are great but they're big and heavy. Does that matter to you?

Also a 4x 10 cab is also cumbersome.

As a gigging musician I need as much power as I can get in the smallest rig possible. After trying many combinations I settled on a Mark Bass head and a Bergantino cab with one 12" and a Hertke cab with one 12". Easy to carry and the sound kills. Though it's not the cheapest priced rig. Then again, as grandma used to say..."you buy cheap, and you buy twice." Get something that's going to last and consistenly get the job done.

LH500 + HyDrive 410 :D

or even a 2500 or 3500 head is good too

Hartke are sadly much underrated by those who are 'brand conscious' i feel, ;) and I would challenge anyone to find better value for money from a good sounding rig

great tone + reliability

i gave up playing for about 15 years and when i resumed my first thoughts were to replace the old trace rig i used to have in early 90s ... until i saw the price tag ... so i took a gamble on the hartke rig and never regretted it - if anything i think it sounds better than my old 90s trace rig (even when they were half decent and not covered in carpet)

Edited by steve-bbb