Why become a member? ×

x Factor

Pete Academy

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1378122236' post='2195901']
The annual X Factor thread. I don't like it, hate Simon Cowell, the influence he's had on younger musicians and their perceptions on music. But I also know where the off button is on my TV, which makes things easy dealing with stuff like this.
[/quote]

This is the thing: do we just have to sit it out and wait for the public to get bored of it? I can remember my days on another forum years ago when people were lamenting the coming around of "yet another sodding series of Big f**king Brother." Fortunately that one ran its course and seems to have dropped off the radar. How much longer before Cowell, Inc suffers the same fate?

(Hopefully, soon. I do fear that the temptation for people to sit at home and watch this god-awful talent contest on a Saturday night is bad news for pubs/bars and live music.)

We have this discussion every year when the X-Factor lumbers (slithers?) onto our television screens...

Thing is, it's just a Saturday night 'talent' show. Nothing more. There have been shows of this kind on our screens for decades. Fair enough it's ok to grumble about it. I'd say it's almost a tradition :D But it's a bit like reading Heat Magazine and then bemoaning its lack of coverage of bluegrass or avant-garde jazz.

Quite simply, it's not a show aimed at discerning musicians. It's goal is to shovel populist karaoke down the lug'oles of people who enjoy singing along to daytime radio - and who enjoy the 'drama' of the process. It's nothing more than that. It certainly doesn't threaten good quality music. If anything, it shines a light on the throwaway, battery-farmed nature of the commercial music machine (which has operated in pretty much the exact same fashion since The Monkees and long before, albeit without the public audience in tow).

Let 'em get on with it, I say. And in the immortal words of Why Don't You: "Just switch off your TV set and do something less boring instead".

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1378125618' post='2195970']
I've grown tired of trying to dislike it. It's alright...I don't see any harm.

I actually think Gary Barlow is an excellent musician and a funny guy, in his own way.

Just don't take it too seriously. Some of it is comedy gold!
[/quote]
I find Barlow a highly competent song-writer who unfortunately turns out weak, tepid, insipid pish. Obviously, it's weak, tepid, insipid pish a lot of people like and if that's your thing so be it.

Most telling was a cover he did of Fairytale Of New York last year for chairty (with Dawn French I think?) but he just butchered it - polished it up and took all the soul away from it, played the song technically perfectly, but with no soul or feeling at all.

Plus I get irritated that though he's a tax dodger he doesn't get roasted for it as he's the right kind (Tory donater) of tax dodger.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1378125215' post='2195959']
We have this discussion every year when the X-Factor lumbers (slithers?) onto our television screens...

Thing is, it's just a Saturday night 'talent' show. Nothing more. There have been shows of this kind on our screens for decades. Fair enough it's ok to grumble about it. I'd say it's almost a tradition :D But it's a bit like reading Heat Magazine and then bemoaning its lack of coverage of bluegrass or avant-garde jazz.

Quite simply, it's not a show aimed at discerning musicians. It's goal is to shovel populist karaoke down the lug'oles of people who enjoy singing along to daytime radio - and who enjoy the 'drama' of the process. It's nothing more than that. It certainly doesn't threaten good quality music. If anything, it shines a light on the throwaway, battery-farmed nature of the commercial music machine (which has operated in pretty much the exact same fashion since The Monkees and long before, albeit without the public audience in tow).

Let 'em get on with it, I say. And in the immortal words of Why Don't You: "Just switch off your TV set and do something less boring instead".
[/quote]

This is spot on!! Couldn't have put it better!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1378059237' post='2195307']
I thought she had a lovely voice.
[/quote]

She wasn't a bad singer, but nothing special. Every year there must be hundreds of girls who can sing in just the same style that don't get through because they just aren't good enough, but a sob story is enough to firstly give her sympathy in the first place, and secondly to add extra apparent emotion to the song/her voice that more thank likely wouldn't have been there or recognised had she not told the story first! The point is, i very much doubt she would have been put through if she would have just turned up and sung. I don't blame her, obviously the producers of the show ask them to tell these stories and the judges are briefed before they come in, it's a criticism of the show.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1378123486' post='2195922']
There will be no more old school cleb's left for the Jungle, if they keep getting nicked like they are at the moment.
[/quote]

Hmm... [i]I'm a Celebrity, Please let me stay in the jungle because I know the police are waiting for me at Heathrow?[/i]

[/quote]

Totally, utterly sensical. I can't understand the indignation either, and blaming the current state of the music industry on Simon Cowell is just ignorance.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1378140096' post='2196193']
I can't understand the indignation either, and blaming the current state of the music industry on Simon Cowell is just ignorance.
[/quote]

And just to add to that - Jobs created for Musicians.....
This show and the likes of SCD/BGT use Musicians on the live shows, Musicians to record the tracks for some of the shows,
associated tours that go out each year, the acts going out on their own tours, recording of albums and so on.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1378141873' post='2196227']
And just to add to that - Jobs created for Musicians.....
This show and the likes of SCD/BGT use Musicians on the live shows, Musicians to record the tracks for some of the shows,
associated tours that go out each year, the acts going out on their own tours, recording of albums and so on.
[/quote]

I don't think it's the show, rather the low level of talent on it.

There's been talent shows for years, but the participants on shows years ago had usually been playing around clubs prior to going on the show. They had talent, and could sing and knew how to perform in front of an audience. Nowadays the bar is set sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo low.

Edited by ambient

i personally think the X Factor is a bad influence on kids, that might of heard better music. but then again i was into shakin stevens when i was younger, and i ended up being passionate about Stevie Wonder. good or bad its up to the individual i guess.. i cant help but think i wanted to be brought up with Stevie all the time though

Edited by bubinga5

[/quote]

Well said, I couldn't agree more with you.

The show isn't a singing contest though is it, Barlow seems to focus on the voices but it is about the X-factor, are you marketable to the public? have you got the charisma to keep people interested in what you do? will people care about how you do?

Per the comment above, the last lady, the prison officer who sang Beyonce, was absolutely brilliant, she'll get through hopefully but she'll never win, she's just not marketable enough unfortunately. :mellow:

The X Factor is not just a talent show. It's a show that offers a serious financial and personal reward to whomever wins (and often the final 10!).

Why should it be that some 16year old sod from wherever should be able to bypass all the years of hard work and sweat and tears that everyone else has to put in and, in all likelyhood, will make enough money to live off for the rest of their lives? It's complete horseshit.

I appreciate that it's just some Saturday night entertainment. I appreciate that, in a real sense, only a few select people actually do quite well for themselves out of it. But it just makes me feel sick. The only reason people that enter this competition is because they're under the impression that they can work for a few years and then retire to a life of luxury and gameshow appearances. It makes a complete mockery of all the working people in this country who have to work all their lives for a percentage of what these guys get given.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; horseshit.

Alex

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1378201349' post='2196846']
The X Factor is not just a talent show. It's a show that offers a serious financial and personal reward to whomever wins (and often the final 10!).

Why should it be that some 16year old sod from wherever should be able to bypass all the years of hard work and sweat and tears that everyone else has to put in and, in all likelyhood, will make enough money to live off for the rest of their lives? It's complete horseshit.

I appreciate that it's just some Saturday night entertainment. I appreciate that, in a real sense, only a few select people actually do quite well for themselves out of it. But it just makes me feel sick. The only reason people that enter this competition is because they're under the impression that they can work for a few years and then retire to a life of luxury and gameshow appearances. It makes a complete mockery of all the working people in this country who have to work all their lives for a percentage of what these guys get given.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; horseshit.

Alex
[/quote]

But do they make enough money from it to retire to a life of luxury? I've been given the impression that after everyone else takes their cut, there's actually not that much left for the 'artist' themselves. Just like many of the over-produced, child-friendly pop acts of the 90's, the performers were taking home very little for the number of hours required of them.

I'm not saying this makes it any better, but I wonder if the performers are being heavily exploited as well.

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1378202053' post='2196859']
But do they make enough money from it to retire to a life of luxury? I've been given the impression that after everyone else takes their cut, there's actually not that much left for the 'artist' themselves. Just like many of the over-produced, child-friendly pop acts of the 90's, the performers were taking home very little for the number of hours required of them.

I'm not saying this makes it any better, but I wonder if the performers are being heavily exploited as well.
[/quote]

I suspect they are. After all, where do they disappear to after the first six months of success? Very few of them manage to struggle out of the strange cocoon they're pushed into and emerge as fully-fledged butterflies. It seems the only constants throughout every new series/regurgitation are the exploiters: Cowell [i]et al,[/i] who are quite clearly making enough for even their hypothetical grandchildren to retire on.