Why become a member? ×

x Factor

Pete Academy

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1378123486' post='2195922']
There will be no more old school cleb's left for the Jungle, if they keep getting nicked like they are at the moment.
[/quote]

Just change the format slightly. Call it something like, 'I'm An Old School Sex Case, Get Me Out Of Her', and have a public vote to decide their punishment. It's TV gold I tells ya! You heard it here first! :)

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1378201349' post='2196846']
The X Factor is not just a talent show. It's a show that offers a serious financial and personal reward to whomever wins (and often the final 10!).

Why should it be that some 16year old sod from wherever should be able to bypass all the years of hard work and sweat and tears that everyone else has to put in and, in all likelyhood, will make enough money to live off for the rest of their lives? It's complete horseshit.

I appreciate that it's just some Saturday night entertainment. I appreciate that, in a real sense, only a few select people actually do quite well for themselves out of it. But it just makes me feel sick. The only reason people that enter this competition is because they're under the impression that they can work for a few years and then retire to a life of luxury and gameshow appearances. It makes a complete mockery of all the working people in this country who have to work all their lives for a percentage of what these guys get given.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; horseshit.

Alex
[/quote]

Alex, the word is full of deluded muthaf***ers, some of them even have dreams. Their equally deluded familes and friends tell them they have talent and that they should enter the X Factor, some of them get through, they are chosen either for latent talent which needs grooming and shaping because they might be marketable, or they are chosen because they are going to look f***ing stupid on TV in front of millions of people and get pissed off or start crying when the judges tell them they suck arse. It's what some people enjoy as entertainment, that's all it is, one or two of em will have some sort of recording career, like Leona Lewis. Most go back to working at B&Q or whatever.

All this crap about not having the right to be successful unless you've paid your dues is oppressive, and depressing. And an insult to ordinary hard working people??!! Come on man, what are you on? :)

This'll cheer you up ..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1mQ_B3Q65c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1mQ_B3Q65c[/url]

Mrs H likes it so I tend to watch it but this year I am refusing to watch the auditions. I will relent once it gets to the boot camp phase but I just can't stomach the auditions.

I find no entertainment in making fun of people. It's not too bad if it's an arrogant wannabee I suppose but too often for my liking they cross a line. I find the whole thing a bit exploitative.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1378207906' post='2196979']
Mrs H likes it so I tend to watch it but this year I am refusing to watch the auditions. I will relent once it gets to the boot camp phase but I just can't stomach the auditions.

I find no entertainment in making fun of people. It's not too bad if it's an arrogant wannabee I suppose but too often for my liking they cross a line. I find the whole thing a bit exploitative.
[/quote]

Totally exploitative, of course it is. Lady xilddx detests the auditions, and they make me uncomfortable too.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1378208163' post='2196983']
Totally exploitative, of course it is. Lady xilddx detests the auditions, and they make me uncomfortable too.
[/quote]

Yeah...very uncomfortable. I think I suffer with empathy :D Whenever I witness anything cringeworthy I turn bright red and sweaty and have flashbacks to every mistake I've ever made!

:D

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1378208408' post='2196988']
Yeah...very uncomfortable. I think I suffer with empathy :D Whenever I witness anything cringeworthy I turn bright red and sweaty and have flashbacks to every mistake I've ever made!

[/quote]
So how did you get to be a Robot Overlord? Did the Sheeples phone vote you in? :P

i dont give a monkeys how well they do or how much money they make. cant think of any memorable winner or music. some people are pretty good.. the problem is within the production behind these winners. its bloody awful throw away music. i dont think its much to ask, to have decent music on TV.. ever wondered why knowone plays a musical instrument on the X Factor.

its all about making as much money as possible. there not bothered about the quality of the music. why would Simon Cowell give a sh*t about the integrity of what hes putting out. hes not a musician.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1378212987' post='2197078']
i dont give a monkeys how well they do or how much money they make. cant think of any memorable winner or music. some people are pretty good.. the problem is within the production behind these winners. its bloody awful throw away music. i dont think its much to ask, to have decent music on TV.. ever wondered why knowone plays a musical instrument on the X Factor.

its all about making as much money as possible. there not bothered about the quality of the music. why would Simon Cowell give a sh*t about the integrity of what hes putting out. hes not a musician.
[/quote]

Yes but you're not Joe Bollocks eating chips and cheese out a styrofoam tray watching X Factor are you. If 'decent' music was important to the public they'd all be listening to RUSH, or Zappa, or Debussey, or Public Enemy, or Leonard Cohen. Most people aren't interested in music, they want X Factor, Eastenders, My Three Most Amazing Shits on Channel 5 .. correspondingly, they want music that cheers them up or makes them dance or reminds them of their first shag, fed to them by a DJ that makes em laff.

Anyway, there are good musicians on the X Factor, in fact there are a few BCers who work on the show, and some of the contestants play instruments. Some of the contestants have been in bands and been doing what a lot of us do.

It's just a f***ing entertainment show man, it's got F*CK ALL to do with music, I wish people would remember that. Music's the conduit for the entertainment, the contest, nothing else. A successful recording artist like Leona Lewis is a byproduct, a bonus.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking all musicians have integrity, and that the audience don't.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378216725' post='2197147']
You see, now I'm beginning to think that you actually might be a robot after all. :mellow:
[/quote]

Coincidentally, I described Rush as sounding like a bunch of bloody robots right after I walked out of my only Rush gig during the first song :D

Primus were awesome though :D

I Like catchy pop music I admit it. I also like Prokofiev. Chicken Prokofievs...mmmmm.

The fact is there is no "decent" music and no "sh*t" music. Just music one likes and music one doesn't. Also, cheesey chips are delicious!

The X Factor is a part of the music business, but with the BUSINESS element writ large and I think that's why it isn't pretty to people like us who (probably by and large ) aren't that keen on that aspect anyway and put the music first.

But you know what we (broadly) just don't fit the demographic that that the marketing dept is trying to hit, we probably don't download many singles, we probably don't buy boy/girl band t-shirts, we may experience a vague sense of guilt/loss after spending Saturday night in front of the telly, we record programs we want to watch and fast forward through the adverts....

You know what the marketing guys have got it right, so it's not for me and I don't watch it. Not everything on telly or in society has to suit everyone. If you don't like it, well you're probably not meant to.

But I don't want designer clothes or buy a new football strip every two months to fund a footballers new Lamborghini either. (Though that Sandberg configurator is a demonic invention that tempts me in my times of weakness ;))

Us raging against it may even be part of the marketeers devious plan. Let 'em get on with it and save your rage for when you really need it.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1378201349' post='2196846']
The X Factor is not just a talent show. It's a show that offers a serious financial and personal reward to whomever wins (and often the final 10!).

Why should it be that some 16year old sod from wherever should be able to bypass all the years of hard work and sweat and tears that everyone else has to put in and, in all likelyhood, will make enough money to live off for the rest of their lives? It's complete horseshit.

I appreciate that it's just some Saturday night entertainment. I appreciate that, in a real sense, only a few select people actually do quite well for themselves out of it. But it just makes me feel sick. The only reason people that enter this competition is because they're under the impression that they can work for a few years and then retire to a life of luxury and gameshow appearances. It makes a complete mockery of all the working people in this country who have to work all their lives for a percentage of what these guys get given.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; horseshit.

Alex
[/quote]

They don't make any real money, it's the production company that they sign to that makes the money.

One of my tutors is lead singer with quite a well known band. She gets asked every year to go along to songwriting sessions for the winner's album.
She gets put up in a country house for a few days together with a couple of producers and programmers etc. They're given the brief of how the album should sound, and left to get on with it.

The album is all recorded music-wise by the end of the series, the winner just has to go along and track the vocals.

By the way, this is early on in the series, they already know who's gonna win it.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1378232699' post='2197489']
All the Tena Ladies
All the Tena Ladies
Put your hands up!
If you like it then you shoulda
Put your ring on it
[/quote]

:lol:[size=4] You obviously have a natural talent.[/size]
[size=4]Perhaps you could learn a musical instrument? It's still not too late, at your age.[/size]

Edited by discreet