Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Average White Band

bubinga5

i was playing this record loud in my house, my girlfriend is not really into funk but even she was boppin her head. always loved there music. i can safely say that they are up there with soul funk greats.. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Dgd1qrfqQ[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_jr8UWha4k[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

They were great. I remember seeing them many times, often at the Greyhound in Fulham Palace Road before they had a record contract and also at the Marquee and various pubs in London. An amazingly tight band even in those early days.

Maybe not as polished as the ones that followed but i still like the first album 'Show Your Hand'.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43Xa-1QQ5U[/media]

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1377625055' post='2189595']
One of my favourite bands, seen them many times. Great basslines in their stuff, always economical but just 'right'
for the song etc.
'If I ever lose this heaven', 'Work to do' and 'Atlantic Avenue' amongst some of my faves.
[/quote]ive always loved Alans bass playing. super funky. super tight, just right.

Yeahhhh, great Scottish funk band.

I learned of the Average White Band when I was at high school. We had a music teacher who had been in the band when they first started out at art college in Dundee. When the band decided to take it to London and make a go of it, the said music teacher wouldn't take the risk, and ended up in the system. Maybe that's why he was so cantankerous. He told the story with some bitterness ... Bad call, missing out on the funk like that. Oops!

One of my faves from back in the 70's. I remember seeing them a Bibas a hip store, I think on Kensington High Street. It was all Art Deco ( he used to play with Paul Simon). They had a roof restaurant and the gig was up there. About 5 years ago saw the remnants of the band, still with Alan Gorrie and Onnie Mac on Guitar. Interestingly, there is the chart for pick up the pieces on their website if you need to see the dots!http://www.averagewhiteband.com/_musos/_pieces/pieces_bass1.html

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1377633530' post='2189764']
One of my faves from back in the 70's. I remember seeing them a Bibas a hip store, I think on Kensington High Street. It was all Art Deco ( he used to play with Paul Simon). They had a roof restaurant and the gig was up there.
[/quote]
Yes, that was the old Derry & Toms store that Biba took over in 1974. Although the building has changed a bit over the years the Kensington Roof Gardens are still there.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1377635323' post='2189795']
i think the best thing about them is that they came from a country that wasnt really known for its funk, but it turned out, they were arguably the best funk band ever. the power of the american influence ;)
[/quote]
AWB were a fantastic band and up their with the best but the best funk band ever?

Better than the JB's, the Meters, Ohio Players, T-Connection, Funkadelic? Really?

Let's just say they were great.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1377639358' post='2189869']
Just seems to suit them to my ears - funny some things just do and AWB are one of them.
[/quote]
I have a decent turntable (Linn Sondek LP12) and also a CD player and iPod and AWB sound just as good to me on all of them.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1377639778' post='2189873']
I have a decent turntable (Linn Sondek LP12) and also a CD player and iPod and AWB sound just as good to me on all of them.
[/quote]

Fair do's - I just really find that there is an intimacy to the sound of vinyl - it draws you in to really listen. I know this is probably a downside to some but I love it!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1377640024' post='2189875']
Fair do's - I just really find that there is an intimacy to the sound of vinyl - it draws you in to really listen. I know this is probably a downside to some but I love it!
[/quote]
Yeah i do know what you mean. Perhaps i'm not taking into consideration that in my advancing years my ears might not be as good as they were. :D

P.S. I did play my collection of Pat Metheny ECM Vinyl LPs the other day and they did sound good.

Edited by BetaFunk

Always been one of my favourite bands, used to play along to their records in the 70's

When I saw them in Leeds both Hamish & Alan Gorrie had identical Acoustic stacks.
I already had an Acoustic head but after hearing them I bought a 406 cab which I used for years.

About 3 or 4 years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Hamish when he stayed at our house while up North for a gig with Snake Davis :)

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1377640990' post='2189886']
Always been one of my favourite bands, used to play along to their records in the 70's

When I saw them in Leeds both Hamish & Alan Gorrie had identical Acoustic stacks.
I already had an Acoustic head but after hearing the I bought a 406 cab which I used for years.

About 3 or 4 years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Hamish when he stayed at our house while up North for a gig with Snake Davis :)
[/quote]
Ha, no-one's going to top that anecdote, Keith!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1377637841' post='2189849']
AWB were a fantastic band and up their with the best but the best funk band ever?

Better than the JB's, the Meters, Ohio Players, T-Connection, Funkadelic? Really?

Let's just say they were great.
[/quote] i stand by my post. i dont really care for hardcore funk. it lacks harmony. i am and will always be a soul man for that reason., and i can hear that in AWB. dont get me wrong i love Maceo Parker, but some funk is very lacking in aspects that i previously mentioned

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1377644069' post='2189947']
i stand by my post. i dont really care for hardcore funk. it lacks harmony. i am and will always be a soul man for that reason., and i can hear that in AWB. dont get me wrong i love Maceo Parker, but some funk is very lacking in aspects that i previously mentioned
[/quote]
Yes that makes sense and i now understand what you mean but that's because AWB aren't a funk band. They were funky but not really a funk band. Funk bands were groups like Funkadelic, Parliament, The JBs, Ohio Players, Mutiny, The Meters, T-Connection etc.

When AWB first moved down to London they were simply thought of as a soul band with some funky grooves and that's the way i've always thought of them.
Whatever their music was they were a fantastic band. No doubt about that!