Why become a member? ×

The Average White Band

bubinga5

Absolutely one of the best. Pick up The Pieces would be in my top 5 of any genre of music, but a heck of a lot of their other stuff is up there, too. Hamish's falsetto has a quality about it that gives me goosebumps! And, on the occasions where he took over bass duties, it nailed a few misconceptions about funky bass playing and pick users being mutually exclusive, which is one of those old chestnuts that comes out every now and then. Check out the growly old Mustang on this corker!
http://youtu.be/qSP5yiUbDLQ

Big AWB fan here too.

Only really heard them 'properly' in the last 6/7 years - too young first time around!

All of the albums were re-issued a few years ago, bought them all.

I love the 'space' in the songs - and bass parts. The tracks really breathe - great fun to jam to.

Keep meaning to see the current incarnation live to see AG in action.

With regards to Hamish, someone was telling me recently about a Kent pub he plays in all the time - for the life of me, I can't remember who told me or where it was.....! :huh:[size=4] [/size]

The Hamish Stuart Band is at The Chichester Inn (in Chichester!) on November 9th.
Great band also featuring Steve Pearce on bass and Ian Thomas on drums - should be mega!
[url="http://www.chichesterinn.co.uk/s_whatson_detail.asp?event=148"]http://www.chicheste...l.asp?event=148[/url]

I supported an early version called Hopscotch which had Onnie and Alan plying with them in some place in reading with an audience of about 20. Even then they were terrific.
I have always preferred Alans singing, some days it put the old shivers down my back.
Saw them at Komedia last year. Absolutely terrific.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1377706759' post='2190634']
Big AWB fan here too.

Only really heard them 'properly' in the last 6/7 years - too young first time around!

All of the albums were re-issued a few years ago, bought them all.

I love the 'space' in the songs - and bass parts. The tracks really breathe - great fun to jam to.

Keep meaning to see the current incarnation live to see AG in action.

With regards to Hamish, someone was telling me recently about a Kent pub he plays in all the time - for the life of me, I can't remember who told me or where it was.....! :huh:
[/quote]

Hamish had two pubs in the Faversham area, The Anchor and The 3 Mariners.
He moved on from the Anchor is September last year.... not sure if he retains an interest in the Mariners.
As far as I know, he is now in Whitstable. Not heard his venue doing music, as yet.,.. but his band, the Anchors does
a few shows... plus he was touring as well.