Why become a member? ×

Rush - Clockwork Angels DVD trailer

wateroftyne

To be fair to Rush every tour typically has a much changed set list to previous ones and they have a huge worldwide audience who are passionate about the band and the music and the DVD will be much awaited by thousands of fans.

Yes they will make money out of it but who can blame them. I may even put it on my xmas list ( although I much preferred the Time Machine set list )

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1376663330' post='2177629']
To be fair to Rush every tour typically has a much changed set list to previous ones and they have a huge worldwide audience who are passionate about the band and the music and the DVD will be much awaited by thousands of fans.

Yes they will make money out of it but who can blame them. I may even put it on my xmas list ( although I much preferred the Time Machine set list )
[/quote]

Fair enough and I have no problems with them making money. Fabulous hard working band, the deserve every penny IMO

Just had a look . No doubt ardent Rush fans will snap this latest offering up , just like everything else they do , but to my sensibilities this business with adding a string section smacks of desperation to try and inject some novelty into procedings to try and sell a few more DVDs . The simple fact is that if you've seen them play Spirit Of Radio , you've seen them play Spirit Of Radio . The something really important missing from most of Rush's music for the last couple of decades , namely enough decent songs to make an album , and if I were them I would go away and have a serious think about whether it was really a fitting end to such a monumental band's career to become a prog rock cabaret show that does the circuit between sub-standard recordings . This is , after all , Rush . Could and should do better .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1376671706' post='2177848']The something really important missing from most of Rush's music for the last couple of decades , namely enough decent songs to make an album
[/quote]

Absobloodylutely.

And lose all those VTs, too. We want to watch the band.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1376671706' post='2177848']
Just had a look . No doubt ardent Rush fans will snap this latest offering up , just like everything else they do , but to my sensibilities this business with adding a string section smacks of desperation to try and inject some novelty into procedings to try and sell a few more DVDs . The simple fact is that if you've seen them play Spirit Of Radio , you've seen them play Spirit Of Radio . The something really important missing from most of Rush's music for the last couple of decades , namely enough decent songs to make an album , and if I were them I would go away and have a serious think about whether it was really a fitting end to such a monumental band's career to become a prog rock cabaret show that does the circuit between sub-standard recordings . This is , after all , Rush . Could and should do better .
[/quote]

I couldnt agree less. Clockwork Angels is a great album, but then its all down to individual taste innit?

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1376672238' post='2177859']
I couldnt agree less. Clockwork Angels is a great album, but then its all down to individual taste innit?
[/quote]

I suspect a lot depends on how old you are , as much as anything else . I remember when each album that Rush brought out was a eagerly -anticipated event , and the L.P's they delivered - Farewell To Kings , Hemispheres , Permanent Waves , Moving Pictures , Signals - lived up to the anticipation , and exceeded expectations . For me, that set the benchmark for what these three truly gifted musicians are capable of . If you enjoy their more recent work then that is great , but to my tastes they have been in decline as a band for the last thirty years . They've still got it in them to make a great album before they call it a day , though , of that I am sure . I just hope they realise it before it's too late .

Edited by Dingus

It says at the start of the trailer that "In 40 years, rush has only ever performed as a trio".

I don't think that's true! Did they not used to have that Hugh Syme guy - or somebody similar - on stage playing some keyboards in the 80s?

Rush experts, please shoot me down if necessary - but I at least thought that was the case.

I will be deffo getting the DVD mind you. Yet another bass player who is definitely NOT playing as a backing musician to a guitarist. Win!