Why become a member? ×

Rush - Clockwork Angels DVD trailer

wateroftyne

Thing is, exactly [i]which[/i] Rush would you like them to be? 80's synth rock? Excessive 70's Prog? They've changed so much over their career, and I think that's a good thing.

How many people on here are writing the same style of stuff that they used to 30, 10 or even 2 years ago? People change, evolve and develop and their creative output reflects that.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1377685332' post='2190253']
Thing is, exactly [i]which[/i] Rush would you like them to be? 80's synth rock? Excessive 70's Prog? They've changed so much over their career, and I think that's a good thing.

How many people on here are writing the same style of stuff that they used to 30, 10 or even 2 years ago? People change, evolve and develop and their creative output reflects that.
[/quote]

That's cool, and it's certainly true. I think some people just think that they aren't as[b][i] creative[/i][/b] as they used to be.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1377685332' post='2190253']

[/quote]

It's not the style I have an issue with. It's the shoddy songwriting.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1377600598' post='2189161']
I can never understand why he gets such a hard time on here. He has inspired thousands of bassists around the world and is probably still doing so.
[/quote]

I don't think I've seen anyone on here in recent memory who has had a bad thing to say about Geddy Lee, maybe more along the lines of he isn't as good as he used to be but that's obviously down to personal taste and perception.

He seems to be one of the few select bassists that is almost universally respected by most of us, he's certainly not to some people's taste but even then there is respect given for his longevity and being one of the great innovators of the instrument.

Not to forget that Geddy is by all accounts a nice and humble guy who makes time for his fans.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1377691013' post='2190380']
I think some of it is them wanting to do their own thing.

I got Geddy and Alex's solo albums and thought they were awful. I thought the writing was on the wall then, and it proved to be the case, for me anyway.
[/quote]

Victor is a wikid album! Not heard Geddy's apart from the previews in iTunes, they didn't grab me.

I'm a 30+ year Rush fan - became my fave band in my early teens & they remain so today. The only album I don't listen to is Feedback - a covers album that was just unnecessary & rubbish. A couple of iffy moments with Test for Echo, Presto & more recently, Snakes & Arrows. For a long time Power Windows was my favourite album. That was until Clockwork Angels came out & that is now my favourite Rush album. Excellent production, some stunning playing by musicians at the top of their game & some fantastic well written, full on songs.

I did go to the Birmingham show with some apprehension about the string section mind you. However in the end, thoroughly enjoyed the part they played in the show.

Rush is a band that by their own admission like to experiment with their music (fairly obvious statement given the diversity of their albums!!), & they hope their fans join them in that musical journey. Each to their own - I guess you either tag along or get left behind... (would that be freewill then? I'll get my coat..... :lol: )

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1377691013' post='2190380']I got Geddy and Alex's solo albums and thought they were awful.
[/quote]
[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1377693024' post='2190416']
Victor is a wikid album! Not heard Geddy's apart from the previews in iTunes, they didn't grab me.
[/quote]

Oh well! :rolleyes: I think Geddy's "My Favorite (sic) Headache" is a really good album! :) I also think that some of the songs on there are far better than anything that has appeared on any Rush albums since! Ain't personal taste a great thing? :D

• 1 month later...