Why become a member? ×

When Mark King played with Larry Graham at the jazz cafe.

bubinga5

Loosely - Mk stumbled on stage, fannied around with his amp, pedals etc and came across as very unprofessional. LG eventually cut across him when he finally got his gear working because his playing was messy and pretty much pushed him into the background.

This wasn't a sound-check issue either as they'd had plenty of time earlier in the day to sort everything out.

I heard this from two different sources so I'm guessing there's an element of truth in here somewhere :(

Both of them are great players but this doesn't do it for me...has nothing to do with any kind of funk either.
I saw some footage of the North sea jazz festival with Larry Graham, Santana, Prince and Mark King.
Suddenly they were all human when they started to jam...sloppy endings, didn't listen to each other, struggling with gear and their ego's. I suddenly realised the power of rehearsal even on their level.

I agree that 2 basses on stage slapping (or playing in any other way) away at the same time is never going to be the musical event of the year...but come on guys - it's a bit of fun.

If any of us had been standing in the venue watching it with a beer or two we would all have probably enjoyed it on some level (42)!!

Both great bassists in the short history of the bass.

I enjoyed that until they tried to play together. Its amazing how differently that same riff sounds when two (great) players play it. Different slap techniques sound totally different. Thats great until they play the same riff in tandem.... all of a sudden it sounds a rabble! As others have said though, if I was pint in hand at this gig, I probably would have loved it!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1376609157' post='2176941']
Ahh well, a clash of egos I guess. The clip doesn't do it for me, although slap playing rarely ever does.
[/quote]

From what I heard it wasn't an ego thing - MK was basically rubbish and unprofessional in he middle of LG's gig and LG clearly wasn't happy :(