Why become a member? ×

What is this bass?

bluesparky

Hello all!
I've just received an email about the London Bass Guitar show for 2014, and the enclosed youtube video promoting it featured this bass.
I've no idea what it is and it strikes me that it could be of the "travel bass" variety, which is something I'm interested in as my current one is getting a bit tired.
Thanks for any help / assistance as always!
[attachment=141209:Screen Shot 2013-08-09 at 22.19.30.png]

I really like the look of them but ...

[quote] Sound travels faster in aluminium than hardwoods so the attack of a note is faster in a Square One bass.[/quote]

Really? Hmmm so the speed of sound in hardwood is about 3900 metres/sec in Aluminium it's about 6500m/s so are they really telling me that I'd be able to spot the difference over the length of a bass or that it would have anything to do with the sound anyway?

Can't they just say they look great and unusual and sound great as they have a decent pickup and preamp? :)

Maybe I'm just grumpy with a Spanish holiday sangria hangover :)

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1376116595' post='2169833']
I really like the look of them but ...

Really? Hmmm so the speed of sound in hardwood is about 3900 metres/sec in Aluminium it's about 6500m/s so are they really telling me that I'd be able to spot the difference over the length of a bass or that it would have anything to do with the sound anyway?

Can't they just say they look great and unusual and sound great as they have a decent pickup and preamp? :)

Maybe I'm just grumpy with a Spanish holiday sangria hangover :)
[/quote] some people will tell you they can tell the difference in sound of maple body vs a alder body and I would think that is a smaller difference in sound. Wether they can or not, or if it's just some phycoacousitc trick that people think they can hear the difference.... thats a disscussion for one of the many other threads we've had on the subject. (plus I would have thought it would be stiffness rather than speed of sound in the materials which would make the difference in this example)

I like its looks, and it's also scarily close to a project I'm working on myself, but even if I had the money, I'd never use it to support the [s]a*hole[/s] person who tries to sell it with Speed-of-Sound snake oil.
IF this person knew exactly what he was talking about, I bet he'd go about it in a different way.

Evidence, or it's snake oil.

best,
bert

It's a pity that when someone makes an interesting looking bass with alternative materials and construction they feel the need to justify it with some completely bullshit "science" marketing.

Having owned several basses with considerably more aluminium in their construction than sported by the Siro, I can safely say that it makes little difference to the amplified sound over an instrument made with more conventional materials and similar pickups and circuitry. In fact several of the people who've played my Born To Rock F4B have commented on how "woody" it sounded when amplified:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC02174-1_zps72ba13f8.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376146065' post='2170223']
It's a pity that when someone makes an interesting looking bass with alternative materials and construction they feel the need to justify it with some completely bullshit "science" marketing.

Having owned several basses with considerably more aluminium in their construction than sported by the Siro, I can safely say that it makes little difference to the amplified sound over an instrument made with more conventional materials and similar pickups and circuitry. In fact several of the people who've played my Born To Rock F4B have commented on how "woody" it sounded when amplified:

[/quote]

Hang on a minute , you've been telling us all this time that you think Fenders are overrated and poorly designed and unsuitable for modern music ( whatever that is ) , and in the meantime you've been playing a Precision Bass made from hammered - out of dustbin lids and a pair of leg braces ? :lol: You do realise your credibility is completley blown , don't you ? This is a revelation ! :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1376123198' post='2169895']
depends if it is in a fancy shaped mold

is it like this? from what i understand the number of nodules around the top can have significant impact on the harmonic overtones

whereas a plain round mold will probably give you a bit more of a P sound

[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: