Why become a member? ×

Refinish or new body?

Jono Bolton

I have a Mexican Jazz Bass that I hardly ever play. Part of the reason is due to the fact that I don't much like the colour, it's Sage Green Metallic and I bought it when I had a hangover and it was the only one in stock and I couldn't be bothered waiting the 2 or 3 days it would have taken the shop to order in one in a colour I wanted (I bought it in Glasgow and was staying down in Ayr at the time, which was an hours train journey away). In short, I was stupid and impatient.

The bass was my 18th birthday present from my parents and for sentimental reasons I don't really want to sell it, although I feel bad that I'm not using it. So, I'm thinking that I could either buy a new body in black, or have it refinished. Obviously if I swap the body it's no longer the same bass, but a refinish might be costlier than buying a new body. Or, should I just sell the bass and buy something that I'll actually use?

Opinions please!

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1376062985' post='2169241']
it will have a poly finish, it will be a b*tch to refinish, buy a new body. My favourite guitar has no original parts left, but it's the same strat i've had since 1989.
[/quote]

Trigger's broom? :lol:

I know that getting a new body would be the most cost-effective route, but then I can't say it's the same bass, and I fear it may make me look like an ungrateful git if I replace the body and sell of the old one. It's very much a head (and wallet) vs. heart issue.

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1376063455' post='2169253']
MB1.
If you're happy with the way it plays and sounds
Can you not come to terms with its sageyness?
I've heard of bands being Ageist but not Sageist?
[/quote]

I've had it 8 years now, so I reckon if I don't like it now, I probably never will. It's spent a lot of it's life as a backup to my other basses, partly because some played or sounded better, and partly because they looked better.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1376071084' post='2169420']
Refin. It seems to me the colour is the only reason you`re not playing it, so get it how you want it, and treasure a great gift.
[/quote]

Good advice Lozz, if money were no object then that's exactly what I'd do!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1376071809' post='2169445']
sage green isn't a bad colour.... some people may prefer it to black - why not ask for a swap?
[/quote]

I did post an ad on here a few weeks back but no one took me up on the offer :(

I'd suggest refinishing it yourself. Surely you wouldn't need to take all the current finish off, just sand it down enough to get a good rough finish to key your own paint in. Then get some rattle cans from Halfords, and some t-cut to finish off. It might not be a professional standard finish, but it'll cost about £30 instead of £300. And if the result is truly unbearable (which is unlikely - if I can re-finish a bass this way, I reckon anybody can), then go look at a professional re-fin job.

And if the result is ok, then you've doubled your sentimental investment, got a bass you're happy playing, for the cost of a night out. That's gotta be a win, hasn't it?

I agree with Mart, spend a little bit of time on the Internet researching how to get a good finish with rattle cans ( warm the can and the body etc ) don't cut corners and don't skimp on preparation and you could get a far better finish than you thought possible with cans at a relatively small outlay.
Added to that will be the personal pride and knowledge that its still all your original bass
I have a compressor etc in my garage but I'm ( slowly with my one good arm! ) refinishing a body with pearlescent black from Halfords, easily a good enough finish........it does take a while to harden properly though!
Go for it......don't be embarrassed to ask for advice, we're all learning and keep us all updated
Best of luck
Harry

Edited by rubis

If you know somebody from custom motorcycle or hotrod/custom cars community, go talk to paintjob guys. They will be happy to help you for a little money or nothing at all if you're their type of person ;)
Modern guitar finishes are essentially car paints and these guys know how to refin and have all the tools and have access to any possible color or mix...

Jono Bolton

I've had it 8 years now, so I reckon if I don't like it now, I probably never will. It's spent a lot of it's life as a backup to my other basses, partly because some played or sounded better, and partly because they looked better.

MB1.
So I can't talk you out of it then? Ha Ha!
Dolgano FF ...pretty good advice
If you don't fancy tackling it yourself.

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1376080236' post='2169618']
........it does take a while to harden properly though!
[/quote]
That is the one thing I seriously underestimated in my re-fin job. My impression is that the hardening time is a matter of months - I think it might have been close to 6 months before mine was truly hardened. And in the meantime, anything it touches might leave a mark. So, ideally, hang it somewhere that you can just leave it undisturbed. Play anther bass in the meantime, and come back after six months and fall in love with this one. :)

My main issue with refinishing the bass myself is that I live in a flat and don't have access to a suitable place to do it. Also I don't have the patience or technical ability to achieve a decent finish I fear, I'd just make a pig's ear of it. If I do go for a refin I'll definitely get someone else to do it.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1376174062' post='2170600']
My main issue with refinishing the bass myself is that I live in a flat and don't have access to a suitable place to do it. Also I don't have the patience or technical ability to achieve a decent finish I fear, I'd just make a pig's ear of it. If I do go for a refin I'll definitely get someone else to do it.
[/quote]
I hear what you're saying, but my feeling is it's a small enough outlay, that it's worth giving it a go. If you end up getting a re-fin done by a pro, then you've only lost the cost of the cans, but gained the experience of trying it. And I'd reckon your chances of success are better than even.

As for a place to do it, well, theoretically you need good ventilation, but if you're careful, don't spray for too long, and leave the windows wide open after, that should be enough for a one-off job. (Obviously it's a bit different if you're planning to start up a re-spray business). Apart from that, you need somewhere with space for your bass, and shielding to avoid other things getting covered in the paint. Some big cardboard sheets, e.g. a couple of bike boxes cut open, should provide most of the protection you need. I did it in my loft, but just relied on cardboard to protect everything else from the paint.

Failing that, doesn't a mate have a garage or lock-up or somewhere?

I just don't think you can beat the feeling of looking at your bass, and knowing that you have re-finished it yourself. It's a real shot of pride, even if the result is not perfect.

Anyway, it's your bass, your call. I just want to encourage you not to dismiss the DIY re-fin option out of hand. Good luck with whatever you do decide to do! :)

don't suppose you have a picture of it?

maybe something as simple as adding a different coloured pickguard or adding bridge cover may make you like it a bit more? strange what the smaller things can do!

at the end of the day I have found refinishing basses myself not too bad but unless your amazing at it you'll never get a truly professional look.

I have one bass that's been refinished a few times, the first time was with car paints, which looked ok but the lacquer was sticky for months, it would stick to my arm and to any stand it would sit in. i then refinished it with stuff from manchester tech and the finish is pretty good but i could never get the high gloss finish.

Cover it with vinyl.

Get a piece of sticky backed vinyl the colour you want (it comes in just about any you wan, patterns too), sit the naked body on it face up, grab a hairdryer & get pulling the vinyl round the body & up so the join is behind the scratchplate.

There's a good vinyl supplier near you too.

Edited by xgsjx