Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a headphone amp...

marcus bell

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1375953156' post='2167741']
Looks good, but it's a bit expensive dude :/
[/quote]

it ain't cheap but I've had cheaper ones and discarded them for being cr*p, this is the first one I've had (apart from my PJB bass buddy but that was a bit large to just have for home practice) that I've been happy with...it just works beautifully. Tried the behringer DI/Pre thingy (BDI summat) and hated it...

If you want cheap, I recommend the Behringer MA-400 for only £18.99: [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-MA400-Monitor-Headphone-Amplifier/GX7"]http://www.gear4musi...e-Amplifier/GX7[/url]

Only drawback is it's designed to accept mic XLR inputs rather than plugging your bass straight in - if you have a DI or Sansamp, or an XLR out on your amp you could go via that. If you have none of those you could team it with a Behringer BDI21 Sansamp clone for around £30 or so, or a plain simple DI box.

I had and sold the PX4B as it was very noisy. The Vox Amplug is another option, not the greatest in sound quality but has the advantage of running off a single AA battery and plugging straight into your bass, so you can rehearse anywhere in the house or garden without having to worry about cables.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1375954827' post='2167774']
...The Vox Amplug is another option, not the greatest in sound quality but has the advantage of running off a single AA battery and plugging straight into your bass, so you can rehearse anywhere in the house or garden without having to worry about cables.
[size=4][/quote][/size][size=3] +1[/size]
[size=4]I've got a Vox: amPlug Bass. It has an aux in socket and 2 output levels.[/size]

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1375961254' post='2167886']
There's an used [sfx] H1 for sale on here.
[/quote]

This one, at £90 at the mo, they're really superb!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/213589-sfx-h1-headphone-amp-price-drop/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/213589-sfx-h1-headphone-amp-price-drop/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

[url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=h1"]http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=h1[/url]

Don't get the Amplug - it's crap... so is the Pocket Rockit. I remember having a moan about both on an old thread on here. Unfortunately you get what you pay for. The [sfx] on the other hand is good, despite struggling a bit with output volume to the headphones when used with my bass.*

Edit: * as in cheapo Rockbass - more expensive instruments and/or electronics will probably fare better.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1375971263' post='2168091']
The [sfx] on the other hand is good, despite struggling a bit with output volume to the headphones when used with my bass.*
Edit: * as in cheapo Rockbass - more expensive instruments and/or electronics will probably fare better.
[/quote]

Interesting that you've had volume trouble with your sfx, I've used mine with a variety of basses, active, passive, cheap, not so and haven't ever had to have the volume above half before hurting myself...what headphones are you using? They may be your weak link? I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD280 and while not overly bass heavy they nearly always sound natural and adequately loud and clear...?

I use an old Korg Pandora PX4•D with a pair of Sennheiser hd215 and my phone or a pair of Creative mp3 players.
Works fine for me.

The Korg is only noisy on "noisy" settings- high gain and tons of drive or distortion.
The fx are alright.

It is very even-handed, as I suspect nearly all half-decent amp/headphone combinations do. Your bass sounds as good as it is- it'll highlight the differences between rounds and flats or old/new strings.
Makes all my based sound good in different ways, even on the same patch.
EUB sounds colossal.

Mine cost about £65 second-hand...
Oh and you can amplify almost anything with a ¼" mono jack socket with it.
Guitars
Electric Cello
Electric violin
Mandolin

And so on.

A Good all-rounder.

Depending how portable you need...

I use a DI box and then plug my bass into a small mixer. This allows me to blend in signals from my hifi, PC, etc and also pass the whole thing back into the PC for recording. Its a very flexible setup that sounds great but its not very portable which might be an issue for you.

I'd also urge caution in using the pocket-rocket. When I plugged mine into a bass with a faulty earth connection it went into full volume feedback - I now have mild tinnitus.

I now use a Tascam GT-R1 with my music on a memory card - expensive, but does tuner / play along / speed change & key change / record rehearsals / loop playback between your markers, and so on.

David

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1375972238' post='2168111']
Interesting that you've had volume trouble with your sfx, I've used mine with a variety of basses, active, passive, cheap, not so and haven't ever had to have the volume above half before hurting myself...what headphones are you using? They may be your weak link? I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD280 and while not overly bass heavy they nearly always sound natural and adequately loud and clear...?
[/quote]

I use a variety of headphones, but most often a big Behringer pair and a smaller Sennheiser model. At the moment I'm also spoiled because I'm using something even better than the [sfx] thingy - a full-fledged Rolls (which is a lot more than just a headphone amp) courtesy of Happy Jack, who is unlikely to get it back unless he grabs it off my hands and runs away... :rolleyes: :D

Edited by bluejay

Really happy with my vox amplug as long as you don't have really hot active pickups. My zoom b2 sounds great with headphones too and can be picked up quite cheap 2nd hand but don't have the aux in but do have more tones than you shake a stick at and a builds in drum box.

Edited by sbrag

[quote name='sbrag' timestamp='1376000016' post='2168567']
Really happy with my vox amplug as long as you don't have really hot active pickups. My zoom b2 sounds great with headphones too and can be picked up quite cheap 2nd hand but don't have the aux in but do have more tones than you shake a stick at and a builds in drum box.
[/quote]

This is why I probably hate my Amplug.
The Steinberger XL2 and MM Bongo are probably blowing it to pieces :-)

CB