Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot sound

Guest MoJo

Could someone point me in the direction of a YouTube video that typifies this 'classic Trace tone' that BC'ers often refer to?

Thanks

I did my school 'work experience' in the Trace factory when I was 14. In between packing stuff into boxes and doing regular paid staffs jobs whilst they sat around drinking tea and talking about arsenal, I tried out pretty much the entire range at the time (late 90s)

To be honest I was distinctly underwhelmed and have stayed clear of Trace ever since. I tried out a friends Ashdown a few years back and that also sounded suitably muffled and wooly.

Give me a nice bright GK sound instead...

Rob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1374851801' post='2154092']
I did my school 'work experience' in the Trace factory when I was 14. In between packing stuff into boxes and doing regular paid staffs jobs whilst they sat around drinking tea and talking about arsenal, I tried out pretty much the entire range at the time (late 90s)

To be honest I was distinctly underwhelmed and have stayed clear of Trace ever since. I tried out a friends Ashdown a few years back and that also sounded suitably muffled and wooly.

Give me a nice bright GK sound instead...

Rob

This madee laugh;) . What I found about TE is that, they look great and sound good on pokey rehearsal rooms but sound dull and thuddy at gigs and at home
[/quote]

I'm still not much the wiser. I currently own a 1993 Series 6 715S combo and have owned in the past a BLX80, a GP12 1215 and a GP12SMX 2x10 combo and more recently, the 'Peavey' 1215 combo. They all sounded different so, I'm confused when people refer to 'that' Trace Elliot sound'. Are they referring to the sound with the Trace Elliot 'Shape' feature engaged. If anything, I'd say the Series 6 and the BLX80 sound 'boxy' with everything set flat but can sound bright if EQ'd correctly

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1374957507' post='2155308']
Just me & you hen Rob ;)
[/quote]

It would seem so... At least I'm not alone in my dislike of a bass tone that sounds like someone playing a P bass whilst wearing ski gloves...

Takes all sorts this bass playing lark though.

Rob

I'm not saying I'm a fan, far from it, every encounter with TE for me has ended in disappointment. I would just like someone to say, there, that's it. We've had examples of a classic Stingray tone, a P-bass tone. Curiosity that's all

The early 80's stuff (up to series iv) didn't really have a sound..it was graphic 7 or 11 band and a lot of power, for the time. How you set the eq was your sound. Unless you used the pre shape slap switch, then it got honky and nasty. After that, my experience was it got a bit more voiced, and sophisticated..but not really better. Horns in cabs also added top end that wasn't there in earlier versions.

The slap switch accounts for a lot - like the SWR Aural Enhancer. It could be a good thing..but generally wasn't.

:hi: Used quite a bit of Trace gear over the last 20-years (amps/cabs/combos/pre-amps), and in general they have been 'solid', but hardly spectacular performers. I think 'boxy' is a good way to describe the overall sound. To my ears, the early GP11 amps/cabs always sounded quite 'thin' - unless you had the top of the range 8x10/1200 rig.

During the 80's/90's the 'Trace' brand was popular, but not these days. Now it is mad expensive, for what is technically the same as they were shifting back then. IMHO, the GP7 graphic stuff is [i]very[/i] average, albeit it with plenty of power, and I wouldn't buy it now. I still have a GP12XV valve pre-amp, which is great and I use it for recording. I have also kept my mid 90's 4x10 cab - with original vinyl covering. It has front porting, but I'm not sure if this makes that much difference? Oh, and even their amp heads are heavy, so watch your back. :rolleyes:

Lastly, what were they thinking with the green carpet covering cr*p?????? .. and the BLX and Boxer combos? - absolutely dire.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1374958422' post='2155326']
I'm not saying I'm a fan, far from it, every encounter with TE for me has ended in disappointment.
[/quote]

That's pretty much my experience too.

Admittedly I've never owned one, so it could be that I just haven't got my head around the EQ or something, but whenever i've encountered them I've found 'The TE Sound' to be one that I'm not happy with.

I think the preset 1and 2 which refers to the TE sound

One of them is scooped sound and the other is a mid range honk

I like scoop sound, TE gear is very loud and robust which I guess in a way attributes to the overall output sound

I personally really like it but some others don't,it really depends what you are after and how it's applied to the style of music whether it fits or not...

What is this "lightweight" crap everyone cares about so much nowadays? Not heard a single one of these class D lightweight toys produce any desirable tone! So what the amp weighs 20 kilograms, is sounds da bomb! Since when is 20kg too much for a grown man to carry anyway... Whimps.