Why become a member? ×

A question for the ladies

seashell

My fellow female bass players..

Do you get fed up with being likened to Suzi Quatro all the time?
Or is it just me because I am blonde and of a certain age? :o

I really should not complain because a couple of years ago no-one would have compared me to a bass player of any description, let alone the admirable Suze. B)

But sometimes I wish people could come up with something more original. Especially after I have just been up playing a great Kim Deal bass line and I still get the Suzi Quatro comment :lol:

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1373461028' post='2137820']

It's possibly depressing that, with all the fantastic female bass players out there, that's the only one people can think of!
[/quote]

I guess that's the reason really.
And I really shouldn't expect yer general public to have heard of many bass players at all! Most of them aren't exactly household names, more's the pity.

There should be no distinction at all, we are all bassists, musicians.

I don't think I have come across anyone referring to 'the black bassist, Marcus Miller', so why the f*** do some of us feel the need to mention gender? Unless it's to make puerile or lazy comparisons, or to point out that 'she plays really well for a burd' or whatever.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1373460280' post='2137803']
My fellow female bass players..

Do you get fed up with being likened to Suzi Quatro all the time?
Or is it just me because I am blonde and of a certain age? :o

I really should not complain because a couple of years ago no-one would have compared me to a bass player of any description, let alone the admirable Suze. B)

But sometimes I wish people could come up with something more original. Especially after I have just been up playing a great Kim Deal bass line and I still get the Suzi Quatro comment :lol:
[/quote]

I know this was a question for women bass players but I do have child -bearing hips , so indulge me . The thing about Suzi Quatro is that a spunky yet nubile young girl in a leather jumpsuit is likely to make a lasting impact on the nation's psyche . It's 40 years ( !) since Suzi was first on the scene , and she is still an instantly recognisable point of reference in popular culture . Good for Suzi ! She is someone who garners great affection from people who remember her , and anyone who was around at the time still remembers her . I have been aware of her from before I started primary school , I'm now middle - aged and she still looks great ! Kim Deal could never have that kind of charm or celebrity even if you wrapped her in latex and put her on The One Show every night . Maybe you should just give in to pressure from your public and go the whole hog . Get yourself a leather outfit and start wearing it to work and to go shopping ect . I[u] guarantee[/u] you will get yourself a man in no time , whether you want one or not ...

Edited by Dingus

If it's any consolation, Shell , I have been compared to and in some cases actually mistaken for a number of different bass players over the years , including Steve Harris , Geddy Lee , Glenn Hughes , Geezer Butler and more recently Justin Channcellor . All of these comparisons are clearly ridiculous - I am a better looking amalgamation of all of these men - but because you play the bass and have a darkly compelling power over women between the ages of eighteen and fifty five people have a need to pigionhole you and find a point of comparison so they can categorize you . It's not just women that get stereotyped .