Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1382001030' post='2246459']
Now this shows that it is possible for a small company to have stunning fit and finish, as well as building an excellently designed cabinet.
[/quote]

+ at reasonable prices too :)
I'm certainly smitten :)

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1382002389' post='2246489']
I'm interested to know if there are any perceived 'cons' regarding having a cloth grill in front of a metal grill, any extra sound disipation? (on paper even?)

Si
[/quote]

I think it makes no difference being so close to the front of the speaker, even more so as it's not covering the entire front, but the edge.

Would be nice to hear one of these myself.

[quote name='such' timestamp='1382004943' post='2246539']
ok, I have to ask this: anyone has an idea how would two 112's compare to, say, two Aguilar SL112's in everyday life? Like, small rock/jazz/funk gigs?
[/quote]

FWIW, my 112's would absolutely own a small rock/jazz/funk gig with regards to volume and headroom. To be honest, a single cab would probably suffice.

I have absolutely no experience with the Aggie SL's, so I can't comment on them.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1382013485' post='2246663']
FWIW, my 112's would absolutely own a small rock/jazz/funk gig with regards to volume and headroom. To be honest, a single cab would probably suffice.

I have absolutely no experience with the Aggie SL's, so I can't comment on them.
[/quote]

Just listened to your demo a few pages back there again, and the Jazz Bass tone you have is wonderful, just enough grit and high end to bring out aggression without being harsh. I actually think I could live without a tweeter these days.

You may have already been asked this, but can you notice much difference between the Ceramic and Neo versions if you've managed to AB them?

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1382014084' post='2246677']
Just listened to your demo a few pages back there again, and the Jazz Bass tone you have is wonderful, just enough grit and high end to bring out aggression without being harsh. I actually think I could live without a tweeter these days.

You may have already been asked this, but can you notice much difference between the Ceramic and Neo versions if you've managed to AB them?

Eude
[/quote]

That's one of the great things about them - clear in an upper-mid kind-of way.

Ceramic vs. neo - difficult to tell. I've used the single neo 12 quite a few times, but it's always been with PA support. I'd need to use them at a backline-only gig to tell, really...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1382014520' post='2246690']
That's one of the great things about them - clear in an upper-mid kind-of way.

Ceramic vs. neo - difficult to tell. I've used the single neo 12 quite a few times, but it's always been with PA support. I'd need to use them at a backline-only gig to tell, really...
[/quote]

OK then, looks like you've got more homework then ;) (sorry...)

Eude

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my new TKS mini rig of doom. I had a one TKS 112 earlier and liked it so much that I decided to replace my good old Hartke Systems rig (XL115 + XL410) with two TKS 112 cabs. Driven by Sansamp RBI or (mostly) Aguilar Tone Hammer preamp with Peavey IPR1600 power amp. Main bass at the moment is Sandberg VS4 (passive). Awesome sound in a pretty light package!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1383333600' post='2263372']
Crikey - the Aggie is £650 :o
[/quote]

Ay, the Aggie gear has JUMPED in prices recently. I'm not impressed....puts them out of reach and into a different market.

I paid £640 ish for a brand new DB212 a couple of years back, now they are £900+. There is just no need. I think its because they now have a UK importer which means yet someone else needs to make profit.

I still love their gear but prices are going crazy.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1383584618' post='2266209']
So what's inside these TKS cabs? Does anyone have any pictures of the interiors?
[/quote]

I don't, but Tommy checks into this thread - maybe he does...?

I've peered through the ports and the little bits you can see inside look hugely tidy.

[quote name='terocious' timestamp='1383303548' post='2262802']
Here is my new TKS mini rig of doom. I had a one TKS 112 earlier and liked it so much that I decided to replace my good old Hartke Systems rig (XL115 + XL410) with two TKS 112 cabs. Driven by Sansamp RBI or (mostly) Aguilar Tone Hammer preamp with Peavey IPR1600 power amp. Main bass at the moment is Sandberg VS4 (passive). Awesome sound in a pretty light package!

[/quote]

Lovely!

Those 12's are awesome, aren't they?