Why become a member? ×

G+L basses

fezzza

I've been having serious GAS for a G+L for a while, specifically one outfitted with double humbuckers, the tribute series models look gorgeous and are more importantly in budget. Haven't got a chance to try one of these in the flesh yet however. Pretty stupid question but how do these differ from Stingrays? I've heard the necks are relatively similar, obviously both basses have humbuckers and had some input by Leo Fender. Just inquiring about everyone's opinions on these basses, Which model is the best value for money, etc. Cheers!

My brother plays a thinline ASAT in my band. It sounds more like a fat Jazz to me than a 'ray. Nice bass. If I were going to go for one I'd probably plump for a tribute, though, seems to me you get more for your money that way.

This might be off some interest to you?

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/78214-more-stingray-gl-questions/page__hl__g

In my opinion/experience the G&L is a superb playing and versatile instrument at a bargain price.

It takes time to learn how to get the best from them. The pickups are quite aggresive sounding and have a high output. I found that playing with the volume and both tone knobs at say, 75% on, that it tamed the sound to a more manageable level.

I never use it in active mode at all. It just seems to sound the same as passive but louder.

Frank.

If it's double humbuckers you want then you have two choices in the Tribute range - the L-2000 and the M-2000.

The Tribute L-2000 has one of the fattest 4 string necks I've ever encountered (1 3/4" or 44.45mm at the nut and really chunky, deep profile). Which is great if you like that sort of thing ;) Passive/"active" (I put active in quotation marks because the EQ is passive, cut only before it hits the preamp, which is either simply a line boost or there is a setting that gives a treble boost), switches everywhere (pickup selector, parallel/series, passive/active/treble boost). A lot of folks get confused about the EQ, I did when I first picked up an L-2000 but you get used to it.

If you'd like a thinner neck (and perhaps an easier life) the Tribute M-2000 has a lovely neck that's 1 5/8" (41.275mm) at the nut and a good bit shallower. 18V active only 3 band EQ and pan, simpler (for some) to get along with versus the switches of the L-2000. I guess that's more in keeping with a 3EQ Stingray but lacks the coil switching options that an HH Stingray would have on the 5 position switch.

I own both and I like 'em both.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1373299394' post='2135843']
Where are you based? You'd be welcome to try my Tribute L2000 if you're nearby.

I have serious SB-2 GAS, but can't find one local to try out.
[/quote] I'm from the north-east unfortunately which is probably a bit out of the way, appreciate the offer though!
[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1373302354' post='2135887']
If it's double humbuckers you want then you have two choices in the Tribute range - the L-2000 and the M-2000.

The Tribute L-2000 has one of the fattest 4 string necks I've ever encountered (1 3/4" or 44.45mm at the nut and really chunky, deep profile). Which is great if you like that sort of thing Passive/"active" (I put active in quotation marks because the EQ is passive, cut only before it hits the preamp, which is either simply a line boost or there is a setting that gives a treble boost), switches everywhere (pickup selector, parallel/series, passive/active/treble boost). A lot of folks get confused about the EQ, I did when I first picked up an L-2000 but you get used to it.

If you'd like a thinner neck (and perhaps an easier life) the Tribute M-2000 has a lovely neck that's 1 5/8" (41.275mm) at the nut and a good bit shallower. 18V active only 3 band EQ and pan, simpler (for some) to get along with versus the switches of the L-2000. I guess that's more in keeping with a 3EQ Stingray but lacks the coil switching options that an HH Stingray would have on the 5 position switch.

I own both and I like 'em both.
[/quote] I wasn't aware there was any significant difference in neck width between the two, I'm used to playing Jazzes so the M-2000 would probably square up better in that case, seem to be a little more expensive at first glance too?

They are really good basses,.

Thoman has some decent prices on the m 2000

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.html?gf=misc_4_string_basses&bf=g-l&oa=pra"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.html?gf=misc_4_string_basses&bf=g-l&oa=pra[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have one I'm trying to rid of, they're excellent basses, mines black with maple and got that nice jazz/stingray/sterling tones.
I only got mine through collateral from a guitar shop who owed me money, shame I need the money or I'd keep it for sure :D

I think as much as anything, you won't really find anything as nice in feel and tone and versatility for the same price.

PM me if you're interested :)

BSB

Cant say about the tribute not got or played one but my G and L 2000 has my Stingray for breakfast. would say the sr neck feels slightly wider then the GL although in todays world there both no twigglets.

Edited by jailbait

[quote name='jailbait' timestamp='1374049315' post='2144528']
Cant say about the tribute not got or played one but my G and L 2000 has my Stingray for breakfast. would say the sr neck feels slightly wider then the GL although in todays world there both no twigglets.
[/quote]

For the price, how much different are both the tribute and the US L2000? Surely I hope you know that ;)

BSB

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1374056646' post='2144689']
For the price, how much different are both the tribute and the US L2000? Surely I hope you know that ;)

BSB
[/quote]
lol crash n burn

swamp ash maple top with a mapple neck and dam good bridge with half decent pickups, good for the money I say.
Us is solid adler body, neck is slightly different same width at nut but larger radius, rock maple neck, roswood finger board or ebony as in the 30th anniversary, the full monty on the pickups eletrics and tunning pegs lol I`m selling another one to myself here, well worth the money.

Edited by jailbait

hahaha giving yourself G.A.S, heroic ;)

I knew there'd be a huge difference in build materials and quality (ebony boards, m'mmm :wub: ) but is the electronic side all that great too?

I played an ASAT bass not so long ago, creme/off white with probably a Eb' board and boy i lustered for it but for £1.6K, my missus would skin me alive :( however, the indonesians are still mind blowing for the value. well worth a try, even if you do own the more expensive version ;)

BSB

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1374069892' post='2144952']
The pickups ate the SAME in both US and Tribute models. All US made. To say they're "half decent" in the Tribute is just plain wrong.
[/quote]
I stand corrected, even if there cheaper made versions as whats on the US model there gonna be good. even looks like they got the adjustable poles in the pickups.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1374068613' post='2144930']
boy i lustered for it but for £1.6K, my missus would skin me alive :(
[/quote]
You know you wanna

Edited by jailbait

I found my US G&L L2K to be too confusing for me and moved it on. Personally, I thought it was trying to be everything at once- a little bit Precision, a little bit stingray, with a touch of Jazz. I'm told you can make it sound like any of them, but I just couldn't get it to sit in the mix like a precision. I tried to get a good thump from it, but everything just sounded too hot and aggressive when I tried and cut through too much. I perhaps should have persevered. I also couldn't get it to set up and play how I like, and found the micro-tilt system to be confusing.

I'd probably pick one over a stingray, if that's what I was after, as they are definitely more versatile than them, if not as iconic.

The US was a very high-spec and well built piece of kit, and mine had a relatively slim neck (did they not offer different neck profiles?) but in fairness I would probably go for the Tribute next time. I'm gassing for an M2000 now though.

If I could find an orange/ blueburst with maple L2k tribute though I'd be seriously tempted.

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1374081772' post='2145126']
I found my US G&L L2K to be too confusing for me and moved it on. Personally, I thought it was trying to be everything at once- a little bit Precision, a little bit stingray, with a touch of Jazz. I'm told you can make it sound like any of them, but I just couldn't get it to sit in the mix like a precision. I tried to get a good thump from it, but everything just sounded too hot and aggressive when I tried and cut through too much. I perhaps should have persevered. I also couldn't get it to set up and play how I like, and found the micro-tilt system to be confusing.

I'd probably pick one over a stingray, if that's what I was after, as they are definitely more versatile than them, if not as iconic.

The US was a very high-spec and well built piece of kit, and mine had a relatively slim neck (did they not offer different neck profiles?) but in fairness I would probably go for the Tribute next time. I'm gassing for an M2000 now though.

If I could find an orange/ blueburst with maple L2k tribute though I'd be seriously tempted.
[/quote]

To answer your question, yes they do offer different neck profiles on USA instruments: [url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/options/bass.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/options/bass.asp[/url]

The Tribute L-2000 has a "take it or leave it" half baseball bat neck, and the Tribute M-2000 has the "I've got no options for you either, but I think you'll like it" #12 neck (G&L Modern Medium "C", 1 5/8" at the nut, 12" radius)

[quote name='jailbait' timestamp='1374079129' post='2145087']
I stand corrected, even if there cheaper made versions as whats on the US model there gonna be good. even looks like they got the adjustable poles in the pickups.

They are the same pickups as the US version.

You know you wanna
[/quote]
[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1374080769' post='2145105']
My G+L L2000 has a wider neck than a standard jazz, but is quite shallow and doesn't feel junky at all
[/quote]

Mine is about 44mm wide but is quite shallow back-to-front. I find it an easy bass to play and I found it very easy to set up as well. Excellent basses and amazing value, especially if you buy used.

Cameltoe. I know what you mean about the L2000 but I've found that reducing the volume on the bass and playing with various settings on the two tone knobs it is possible to get some really good "traditional" sounds from the Tribute.

You also have more aggresive and modern sounds as well making it a cracking gigging bass.

Mine weighs just over 9lbs on a fishing scale and is well balanced.

Frank.

Edit to correct spelling.

Edited by machinehead

That's good to know. I've gassed for an L2K since I started playing, as I realised the stingray was all wrong for me, and had a 'one sound' I wasn't too keen on. When I finally got an L2k, although it was good, it didn't blow me away. With a pro set-up, tweaked to how I like it, and with time to get my head around the electronics maybe it would have.

The M2k is on my hitlist now though.

Non better than G&L Basses & Guitars for Quality, Value for Money & Tone - You do have to be man to play the neck though, some o those are chunky. I've had 6 since my first, and am planning for another 2!! There is a difference between the Tribute & US series, but the former still beats seven shades out of the majority of beginner/intermediate models.

I'm very pleased with them, and having just bought in a guitar from a new 'masterbuilt' brand, I still consider my G&L's far nicer...not sure if I should be gutted or not :huh:[size=4] .[/size]