Why become a member? ×

Just bought a used Wal bass...

Bmo7476

Folks, I recently bought a wal bass from Andy Baxter Bass. Serial number PB1683. Does anyone here have any history on this bass? I asked Paul at Wal and he said he could not find any information in the old paperwork. It looks like the bass has had a pot replaced. I just hope I have not overspent on this bass.

[url="http://walbassarchive.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/archive-stephans-wal-database.html"]http://walbassarchive.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/archive-stephans-wal-database.html[/url]

Yours doesn't feature, so of limited value to you I'm afraid.

Bit difficult to judge the price without knowing (i) something about the bass, and (ii) the price you actually paid. ;)

It's a 1982 wal pro 1. Single pick up, passive and fretted. I paid dearly for the unit, but a hefty portion of that was given for your country's taxes. I am excited to own any wal! Paul said that if the shim was still in the neck pocket I should be able to find the builders name on the shim. I also bought an original old stock 220 k log pot from Paul to replace the cts 250 k pot someone threw in to fix the volume. I know it makes near no difference, but I would like it as original as possible.

I read somewhere on this site a would be previous owner wanted to sell it for £1000. But at that time it may not have been working properly. So I just want to know how it ended up at Andy's store. Over here (US) they sell for $3,000 to $5,000 USD, depending on the model and features. So price wise it was priced right for me.

Nice bass, enjoy.
I had the same model in red in the early 80's.. nowhere near as nice looking as yours tho.

Edit; Just took a photo of the only picture I have of my old Wal.. not great quality but there it is/was
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8374568@N07/9218604044/]Wal Bass[/url]

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='Bmo7476' timestamp='1373040339' post='2133139']
Over here (US) they sell for $3,000 to $5,000 USD, depending on the model and features. So price wise it was priced right for me.
[/quote]
You mean that there is actually something that is cheaper here in the U.K. than it is in the U.S.

This must be a first. :D

I remember these basses when they were current , and they were cracking basses . They may have been a more affordable , straightforward alternative to the Custom Bass when Wal basses were the height of fashion and in strong demand , but these Pro basses had a forthright and powerful sound of their own . They offered them with the pickup in this P Bass - like position , and some others had the pickup closer to the bridge . If that is the old brown Wal case as opposed to the later blue one then that would suggest very late 70's or early 1980's vintage to me , providing of course this is the case originally supplied with the bass . The electronics on the late 70's Pro Basses like this were slightly different , if I remember correctly - they had some little square shaped switches under the pickup mounts that gave a different emphasis to the overall sound and were very effective . The fact that this bass has a single series /parallel switch dates it later , if my recollection is correct . As for the price you paid , Wal Basses are selling at high prices nowadays due to limited supply and increased demand . As we have discussed on this site before many times , fifteen years ago you could pick up a Wal Custom in the U.K for £500- 650 , no problem . Since Justin Chancellor adopted these basses demand from the States has soared , along with a greatly reduced production of Wal basses so the prices have gone stratospheric . You will usually expect to pay more from a dealer than a private sale , and that is true of all basses , not just Wals . Anyhow , I hope you like the bass enough to feel whatever final price you paid was worthwhile .

[quote name='Bmo7476' timestamp='1373081992' post='2133567']
Familiar face. I am looking forward to this bass. Not trying to build myself up.
[/quote]

Are you still waiting to have it delivered ? If it puts the price into some kind of context for you , in the U.K you could easily pay the same price for a run -of-the-mill mid 1970's Fender Precision Bass . The Wal in question is a far rarer and far higher quality bass than the similaly - priced vintage Fenders , so in that sense , it's a good price and an astute purchase . These basses have got an particulaly awesome sound for rock music , with a thunderous low end and plenty of midrange growl , a bit less hi-tech and hifi - sounding than a Wal Custom . Play one of these through a big amp at high volume and it will shake the room . One benefit of buying from a reputable dealer like Andy Baxter is that the bass has been checked over by his technician ( I think he uses Chris Ward who was the repairman at the Bass Centre in London for many years and who has an excellent reputation ) and Andy is vouching for the condition of the bass in his advert , so you should be hopeful that the bass will live up to your expectations .

[quote name='Bmo7476' timestamp='1373089002' post='2133575']
I am happy to hear this! Very happy!
[/quote]

Well , Wal basses are special , and that goes for the Pro Basses just as much as the Customs . Don't get the idea that because the Pro Basses were lower priced that they were inferior quality . The people that built them didn't deal in inferior quality products . The build quality of the Pro Basses was every bit as good as the Customs , the only difference was in the complexity of the electronics and the fanciness of the body woods , and those fancy woods don't actually make a huge difference to the sound . The Pro Basses were made with exactly the same care and attention as the more expensive models , and the necks are identical to those on the more expensive Customs . I played Wal Basses myself for ten years , have owned a few and played a lot more than that and I have never found a dud one . The key to the Wal sound was those pickups : they are a unique design and have got an effortlessly fat and very pleasing tone that just sounds "right " . No other pickup I have ever heard is comparable . Even without a preamp they have got such a meaty and rich quality that people who have heard them don't forget them . When you read about people trying to recreate the Wal sound on other basses , trust me when I tell you that , for the most part , they are wasting their time .

Edited by Dingus

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1373052033' post='2133318']
You mean that there is actually something that is cheaper here in the U.K. than it is in the U.S.

This must be a first. :D
[/quote]
Yup, used Wals are a bit cheaper in the UK. They are like gold here (U.S.) and in such more limited supply that they get snatched up very fast, or can get into a price bid frenzy. I bought a MkII from Bass Direct last year, and was laughing hystericaly the whole time because it was almost a grand cheaper, and Mark @ Bass Direct ensured my import tax remained very low...my taxes came to a whopping $88 dollars! Bmo, I think you will be ecstatic with your new bass, these are fanstastic instruments. B)

Edited by mikeswals