Why become a member? ×

Cavity shielding

Guest MoJo

Who's done it and does it make a lot of difference. I'm thinking of one venue in particular where my bass always picks up interference from the dimmers.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1372536318' post='2127034']
If your bass is not shielded a decent job of shielding will definitely cure it.
[/quote]

+1. I have one shielded bass (which kiOgon built the circuit for) and is noiseless under 2 halogens on dimmers.. All the rest.. Hmmmmmm

I've shielded many a cheap bass and it's a great help in eliminating noise. To save extra soldering (when linking cavities/strips of copper), buy copper tape/sheet with conductive adhesive.

Make sure that you connect each cavity that you've shielded (eg. 2 pickup cavities and the control cavity) with wire or it won't work. If you're not too confident with soldering, an easy way to do this is to get your piece of wire linking the cavities, bare 1cm of it at each end and then use another piece of copper tape to fix it to the shielding, making sure that it's fitted as snugly to the bare wire and the shielding beneath. (a stylus is good for getting a snug fit around the bare wire).

If you have a multimeter, you can check your shielding by setting it to 'Continuity Test' and then placing the probes in each cavity. If it reads '0', then you're sorted. If it reads '1', then you have a break in the shielding. Leave no gaps!

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1372606272' post='2127610']
Just spent an hour doing my P bass only to discover that the foil I bought has non conductive adhesive DOH
[/quote]
Run some solder over the joints. Since the foil is so thin it heats up quickly, so the soldering is quick and easy.

Also just to emphasise the thing about not leaving gaps. It wasn't too critical when you only had to worry about 50Hz hum, but with so many high frequency noise sources these days it's much more critical.

Edited by Count Bassy

Took the pickguard off to look at the job in hand and just thought I'd check it with the multimeter first and to my surprise, it's all fine, continuity throughout. Result

For linking the control cavity with the pickup cavities I used the braid shielding from Gibson wire. Just removed it from its original wire and fed the wires going from cavity to cavity through it, splayed the ends and stuck them down with the aluminium tape I used to shield the cavities.

This stuff.