Why become a member? ×

Matamp Customer Service

Billy Apple

Hi All,

Thought I'd just regale you with my tale of today's trip to the Matamp factory. I've had a bit of trouble with my GT200 of late, so I took it to a local fixer who was recommended here. The idea was to save myself the 200 mile drive to Matamp. Any-Hoo, after the local chap had it for 3 months and was no further forward with the fixing, I took it back and bit the bullet for the 400 mile round trip.

Boy, do I wish I'd done this in the first place, and saved myself 3 months waiting. I drove 200 miles up the M1 today, and after a cup of tea with Andrew and Hayden they set about fixing the head. First up was the 4ohm socket was jiggered, they fixed it, but upgraded both that and the 8ohm output.

The other problem was the amp was very quiet, which was found to be a dodgy cable running from the instrument input socket to where-ever it goes in the amp. Detected and fixed in a couple of minutes. [size=4]Andrew did an over-all health check on the head, and found a wobbly-wave on his [/size]oscilloscope[size=4] which was rectified with some biasing. Anyway, according to Andrew my head now has more power and is less dirty![/size]

[size=4]BTW these two issues had surfaced with other heads and they have now changed the equipment for both the speakons and cable.[/size]

I'd also taken my 212 cab up to have the input plate changed from jacks to speakons. They soldered and screwed on the new plate while I had another brew and played on the new 450 watt hybrid bass amp that is in development....

This piece of kit was the nuts, great tone (from the same front end that is in the new-monster GT200), impressive range and versatility, plus light-weight and powerful. I also saw the new all digital bass head, and the new GT200. I think the latest GT200 will set the standard that all valve bass heads will be measured from (step aside Ampeg? :o[size=4]).[/size]

So one fixed, up-dated and up-rated GT200, and one up-dated 212 cab, plus they made me up a new speakon to speakon patch to hook the head to the cab. And a few cups of tea and a good crack with Jeff, Hayden and Andrew.

And the charge for all this?..

£0.00p

Credit where credit is due, and in a world where we are quick to bemoan bad service, it is only right and proper to sing the praises of an outfit who act in a manner that is above and beyond the call of duty. And it's not just because they did the fixing for nowt, it's the guys' attitude, and the whole atmosphere. Everything about the place exudes the kind of passion that reinforces the fact I made the right choice 3 years ago.

I guess the pay-off for Matamp is people like me can't wait to tell others what a great experience I've had. Plus, I reckon when they get round to putting the hybrid out, I'll most likely be at the front of the queue! :)

[size=4]Thank you Jeff, Andrew and Hayden[/size] :thank_you:

GT120, retro-stylee, with custom-built light-weight (i.e. plywood) casing.

The standard casing is as strong (and as heavy) as most flight cases. By going with plywood, I'm saving roughly 5Kg and bringing the weight of the amp down to 18Kg.

Mammoth tone, but with the weight only of a pygmy elephant ...

That sounds like the kind of service that i like, what was the size of the hybrid and digital heads? if they could build something the size of their mini-mat guitar heads then i'd have one in a shot, especially if it had the gt200 preamp! it would look fanbtastic on my barefaced midget stack and would give me an all UK built Rig!
i'd better start saving just in case!

Matt

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1372116987' post='2121966']
I'd also taken my 212 cab up to have the input plate changed from jacks to speakons. They soldered and screwed on the new plate while I had another brew and played on the new 450 watt hybrid bass amp that is in development....
[/quote]

What's the form factor on that hybrid? Or is it still too much of a prototype?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372153596' post='2122164']
What's the form factor on that hybrid? Or is it still too much of a prototype?
[/quote]
[size=4][quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1372152193' post='2122147'][/size]
That sounds like the kind of service that i like, what was the size of the hybrid and digital heads? if they could build something the size of their mini-mat guitar heads then i'd have one in a shot, especially if it had the gt200 preamp!
[/quote]

The hybrid was for all purposes a finished product. It has very similar dimensions to the Mini-Mat series, compact and easily manageable. What sold it for me was the range from the tone-stack and the usable gain pot. This can do super-clean to super-dirty. I think it knocks the OTB into a cocked hat. They rate the B&O power module at 450w, and it is the same one that other manufactures rate up to 600w. Has plenty of usable features like bass/mid/treble shift buttons, active/passive with pad and an attenuated DI out.

I didn't play through the digital, I was engrossed with the hybrid, and ran out of time, but it's dimensions are similar to other 400/500watt digi heads out there. It would be an easy fit into your man-bag :lol:[size=4] [/size][size=4]. It had the same power section as the hybrid, just a SS front end. The tone stack had some different features, but I can't remember them at the mo.[/size]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1372155916' post='2122201']

[size=4]The hybrid was for all purposes a finished product. It has very similar dimensions to the Mini-Mat series, compact and easily manageable. What sold it for me was the range from the tone-stack and the usable gain pot. This can do super-clean to super-dirty. I think it knocks the OTB into a cocked hat. They rate the B&O power module at 450w, and it is the same one that other manufactures rate up to 600w. Has plenty of usable features like bass/mid/treble shift buttons, active/passive with pad and an attenuated DI out.

I didn't play through the digital, I was engrossed with the hybrid, and ran out of time, but it's dimensions are similar to other 400/500watt digi heads out there. It would be an easy fit into your man-bag :lol:[size=4] [/size][size=4]. It had the same power section as the hybrid, just a SS front end. The tone stack had some different features, but I can't remember them at the mo.[/size]
[/quote]

SOLD! I'll take one of the hybrids! it sounds like it will it perfectly on top of my Barefaced Midgets, i'm guessing that prices haven't been released yet? i know that they're hand built so will be more expensive than the OTB but as long as they're less than the GT200 then i'll save up for one!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1372155916' post='2122201']
The hybrid was for all purposes a finished product. It has very similar dimensions to the Mini-Mat series, compact and easily manageable. What sold it for me was the range from the tone-stack and the usable gain pot. This can do super-clean to super-dirty. I think it knocks the OTB into a cocked hat. They rate the B&O power module at 450w, and it is the same one that other manufactures rate up to 600w. Has plenty of usable features like bass/mid/treble shift buttons, active/passive with pad and an attenuated DI out.
[/quote]

That's a pity. I was hoping for something that would be rack mountable. Old school looks can be cool, but not always practical.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372158303' post='2122229']
That's a pity. I was hoping for something that would be rack mountable. Old school looks can be cool, but not always practical.
[/quote]

Might be worth asking if it's a possibility?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1372158479' post='2122235']
Might be worth asking if it's a possibility?
[/quote]

From what I've read if anyone is open to that kind of customisation it will be Matamp.

I'll wait until I've tried one to see if I like it as there's no point in enquiring if I don't.

part of me would love to have MattAmp across the front! but i'd probably go for whatever the simplest and cheapest option is so that i could afford it earlier. i'm guessing that these will porbably be about twice the price of the OTB but from the reviews i've seen it's common opinion that the matamp products stomp all over their orange "equivalents" in terms of tone and build quality so that's fine by me!

Matt

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1372161371' post='2122294']
I've always been a bit confused by the Matamp website, what's what basically.
Jack you mentioned a GT120, doesn't seem to be on the site.....what's that? :)

Si
[/quote]

It's a 100W all-valve jobbie (natch) which they used to make back in the day, i.e. the 70's. I'm no Matamp expert ([color=#b22222][i]paging tayste_2000, paging tayste_2000[/i][/color]) but there seem to have been two variants, a GT100 and a GT120.

They stopped making them recently because most of their customers tend to go for the GT200 or the GT1. As near as I can make out, mine has been put together as more-or-less the last of the NOS amps and they don't have plans to make the amp again.

This may help: [url="http://g-spot-music.com/site/matamp-usa-canada/matamp-heads/matamp-gt120/"]http://g-spot-music.com/site/matamp-usa-canada/matamp-heads/matamp-gt120/[/url]

If you're at a loose end on Sunday afternoon, Si, call me. Maybe you can come and have a play ...

Cheers Jack, I'm not about at the weekend, but would be fun to try.
I've always hankered after an all-valve, but I think the GT200 would be a bit overkill.
To be fair, I'm probably not willing to spend what they cost....for the amount I'd use it anyway.

Cheers
Si

Outstanding!

Very early days yet, as of last night's rehearsal I'd had it for just 48 hours and spent very little time with it, but straight away I'm strugging to avoid cliche.

Words like "creamy" and "phat" spring to mind, my bandmates said things like "sweet" and Rick the Slide (something of a valve [i]aficianado[/i]) is clearly [b]itching [/b]to plug his '73 Jaguar through it.

With the bass output rolled down to about halfway, and the Matamp's MV on the lowest notch, I got about the right level for our low-volume rehearsals. Rolling down the bass output also neatly cut some of the amp's (surprisingly) toppy tone.

I'll get around to taking some photos at the weekend - gigging it for the first time on Saturday night. :P