Why become a member? ×

What price Jaco's bass?

John Cellario

I wonder how much some of Jaco's original basses are worth...found this but can't figure out if Jaco actually owned it.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6336208

I read that Jon Bon Jovi or someone like him owned the original 'Bass of Doom'.... wonder what that's worth? I know Norman Roy Watts 'Rhythm Stick' J. bass was on sale for around £9,000.

[quote name='John Cellario' timestamp='1372016076' post='2120718']
I wonder how much some of Jaco's original basses are worth...found this but can't figure out if Jaco actually owned it.

[url="http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6336208"]http://www.liveaucti...om/item/6336208[/url]

I read that Jon Bon Jovi or someone like him owned the original 'Bass of Doom'.... wonder what that's worth? I know Norman Roy Watts 'Rhythm Stick' J. bass was on sale for around £9,000.
[/quote]

No idea.
I think it was Norms shoreline gold Jazz that was on sale not the P with the Jazz pick-up that is the Rhythm stick. (you can see it in here) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb5KHXW48uI

Edited by Highfox

There was an article about this bass in a magazine in late 2008.

It was a musician Jaco knew, and he asked to buy the bass a few times as he liked it but it was the guys only bass and he wouldn't sell it.

What that means to the value? I dunno.

It's a beaten up old jazz bass.

The "bass of doom" was bought by Rob Trujillo (of Metallica) as he wanted the Pastorius family to have it back. The owner of a guitar store in Manhattan had it, and wouldn't give it back to the family. So, Rob stepped in and did a magnificent thing. The guitar store in Manhattan is one which won't get any business from me anytime i'm in NYC.

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1372018226' post='2120762']
The "bass of doom" was bought by Rob Trujillo (of Metallica) as he wanted the Pastorius family to have it back. The owner of a guitar store in Manhattan had it, and wouldn't give it back to the family. So, Rob stepped in and did a magnificent thing. The guitar store in Manhattan is one which won't get any business from me anytime i'm in NYC.
[/quote]

Rumour has it that Trujillo bought it but refused to give it to the family, instead opting to keep it in his private collection whilst allowing the family access to it. Don't know if that's true, just a rumour I heard somewhere and I don't remember seeing Felix etc with it... Anyone have more info?

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1372021558' post='2120813']
Rumour has it that Trujillo bought it but refused to give it to the family, instead opting to keep it in his private collection whilst allowing the family access to it. Don't know if that's true, just a rumour I heard somewhere and I don't remember seeing Felix etc with it... Anyone have more info?
[/quote]

Just as it says in the article that was posted, Trujillo owns it, but is willing to sell it back to the Pastorius' at any time for the same price he paid for it.

I read a further article (linked from talkbass I think) somewhere that Trujillo paid around $60000 to get the bass of doom back. Can't find it again right now sorry.
As for Norman Watt-Roy's Blockhead bass, it was sold here...

http://www.andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=165

It troubles me that Trujillo has kept the bass, knowing it belongs to Jaco's family, knowing that Jaco's sons play bass and knowing that they tried to fight so hard for its return. If he really wanted to help, he should have returned the bass to the family IMO. He would still be part of the story but the bass would be with the family, not in Metallica's collection locked away from the world.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1372053444' post='2120958']
It troubles me that Trujillo has kept the bass, knowing it belongs to Jaco's family, knowing that Jaco's sons play bass and knowing that they tried to fight so hard for its return. If he really wanted to help, he should have returned the bass to the family IMO. He would still be part of the story but the bass would be with the family, not in Metallica's collection locked away from the world.
[/quote]
I share the exact same feelings on the subject. Bad karma.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1372091277' post='2121453']
60 grand's a lot of money to lose!

Truckstop
[/quote]

When you were paid $1m just for joining a band?

JP was a bit of a hero to RT. I don't think he has much intention of giving the bass back...

Just because the dude's ended up with loads of money that he's had to work for all his life doesnt mean that he should be giving away stuff that's worth that sort of money! It's his property now and he's made it perfectly clear that if a member of the Pastorious family wants to buy it back then they can. Can't get much fairer than that if you were in his position!

Truckstop

• Like 1

The bass does not belong to Jaco's family at all.

It was Jaco's, it has been sold several times and is now owned by someone else.

Trujillo was not 'paid' $1m for joining, it was an advance. He's not a full 25% partner in Metallica either.

But more to the point - so what? It's his money, he gets to spend it on whatever he likes. Just because he's earned a bit of money lately does not mean there is any obligation on him to make a $60,000 gift to anyone. Anyone who thinks that he should just give it away is living in cookoo land.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1372096040' post='2121556']
The bass does not belong to Jaco's family at all.

It was Jaco's, it has been sold several times and is now owned by someone else.

Trujillo was not 'paid' $1m for joining, it was an advance. He's not a full 25% partner in Metallica either.

But more to the point - so what? It's his money, he gets to spend it on whatever he likes. Just because he's earned a bit of money lately does not mean there is any obligation on him to make a $60,000 gift to anyone. Anyone who thinks that he should just give it away is living in cookoo land.
[/quote]

I wasn't suggesting he gives it to them! But why buy it for $60k, then lock it away? Surely just let the pastorius family have it in their possession. That way, they could use it as a museum piece to raise finds to buy it back from Trujillo or simply have access to something that is dear to their family. Then if they don't stump up the cash, Trujillo takes it back when he wants/needs to! Surely that's a fair/sensible compromise?

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1372096586' post='2121564']
I wasn't suggesting he gives it to them! But why buy it for $60k, then lock it away? Surely just let the pastorius family have it in their possession. That way, they could use it as a museum piece to raise finds to buy it back from Trujillo or simply have access to something that is dear to their family. Then if they don't stump up the cash, Trujillo takes it back when he wants/needs to! Surely that's a fair/sensible compromise?
[/quote]

And why should he do that exactly?

Do you let the previous owner of your basses have them in their possession until you want/need them?

Try swapping the word "bass" for anything else you own and see if you want to 'compromise' your rights and possession with a previous owner just because it was 'dear' to them.

When the last owner of your car comes round, I assume you'll be allowing him 'fair' access to use it?

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1372097902' post='2121581']

Do you let the previous owner of your basses have them in their possession until you want/need them?

Try swapping the word "bass" for anything else you own and see if you want to 'compromise' your rights and possession with a previous owner just because it was 'dear' to them.

When the last owner of your car comes round, I assume you'll be allowing him 'fair' access to use it?
[/quote]
We all have our own personal map of the world. It's up to him to do what he see's best.

Our opinions on this subject are irrelevant.

Of course our opinions are irrelevant.

But no one advocating giving up the bass, or allowing a permanent lend etc has come up with a single reason why the legitimate owner of anything at all should do that... other than 'karma'

Personally I would hope that if RT wanted to give it away he would auction it and give the money to Cancer Research or something. Surely that has a higher 'karmarific' value?

It's all BS. He earned the money. He spent the money on something he wanted. Saying that he should give it away is taking even my own lefty leanings to insanity.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1372099655' post='2121615']

But no one advocating giving up the bass, or allowing a permanent lend etc has come up with a single reason why the legitimate owner of anything at all should do that... other than 'karma'

Personally I would hope that if RT wanted to give it away he would auction it and give the money to Cancer Research or something. Surely that has a higher 'karmarific' value?

It's all BS. He earned the money. He spent the money on something he wanted. Saying that he should give it away is taking even my own lefty leanings to insanity.
[/quote]
I think the problem some people have with this story is that Trujillo is being made out to have done something wonderfully altruistic when in fact all he's done is buy a famous & expensive bass.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1372099655' post='2121615']

[/quote]
Your map of the world dictates that Karma is unimportant - mine is to the contrary. We are both right!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1372097902' post='2121581']

[/quote]

It's slightly different due to the emotional attachment. If the car you mentioned was the car of ayrton senna and his family wanted access to it, I'd be understanding as to why they had an attachment.