Why become a member? ×

Yes tour 2014

Paul S

Got an advance booking alert for a Yes tour April onwards next year playing 'Yes Album', 'Close To The Edge' and 'Going For The One' all the way through. They are actually coming to the Cliff's Pavilion in Westcliff - under 2000 souls if seated - so I guess smaller venues all over the rest of the country too. No Jon Anderson but Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Alan White. Not dear, either, at around £40. Jon Davison on vocal - anyone know of him? Tickets on sale this coming Friday. Hard to turn that one down, really!!

I've not seen them with Davison but saw them twice with the last guy, Benoit David on separate tours. I think Davison has been picked up from another Yes tribute band, much like Journey did. Still worth seeing but you get the impression they are almost a tribute of themselves these days. Some of the stuff on the last tour seemed to be noticeably slower than the original versions, but then they are all getting on a bit! I might go to the Leicester gig.

New singer Jon Davison is previously (still?) from Glass Hammer, and was once in Yes tribute Roundabout. Here's the first youtube I found:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4NU0ed5bDY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4NU0ed5bDY[/url]

Better than Benoit, but it's not Jon is it. And with no Rick either, it's increasingly not-Yes. It all got a bit silly with the revolving door of band members, so I suspect I might have seen my last Yesshow. Unless they bring back Patrick Moraz!

I never quite got around to seeing Yes in their heyday - at the time I was into the much more, erm, straightforward music of the likes of Sabbath and Purple - so imagine this is the nearest I am ever going to get to a Yes gig even if it is more like a Yes tribute band but with some original folks in it. Gotta be worth the cover price to see Chris Squire and Steve Howe!

I saw them in the '70's a few times,some gigs with Bill Bruford and others with Alan White. Both great drummers. Chris Squire was a massive influence on me picking up a bass but a Yes gig without Jon Anderson or Rick Wakeman. I don't know if I could enjoy it without being negative about their absence. Didn't like them without Steve Howe either. YMMV.

[quote name='tallmanmax' timestamp='1371598028' post='2116131']
Loved their stuff up until Relayer, Squier was a huge influence..................and now I think, some things are of their time,...... and that time has gone.
Oh well...............sighhhhhhhhh
[/quote]

Same here...

[quote name='tallmanmax' timestamp='1371598028' post='2116131']
Loved their stuff up until Relayer, Squier was a huge influence..................and now I think, some things are of their time,...... and that time has gone.
Oh well...............sighhhhhhhhh
[/quote]

Quite, although I would stretch it to GFTO. Tormato was the start of the slide, ending in the drivel that was Drama. I went to see them when they toured Drama and, my God, they were awful. That was it for me, bar 90125.

Got mine - middle of the balcony front row! I have no point of reference from past gigs so looking forward to it immensely, I must say. Chris Squire and Steve Howe playing locally for £40 and I'll be back home 20 mins after it is all finished. Can't go wrong. :)

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1371619102' post='2116175']
Quite, although I would stretch it to GFTO. Tormato was the start of the slide, ending in the drivel that was Drama. I went to see them when they toured Drama and, my God, they were awful. That was it for me, bar 90125.
[/quote]

Even though some of it may be recycled Buggles, I rather enjoy Drama when I give it a spin. Squire's on particularly good form on that one IMHO.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1371566619' post='2115603']
... playing 'Yes Album', 'Close To The Edge' and 'Going For The One' ...
[/quote]

Is it just me, or is that a rather odd selection?

'Yes Album' + 'Fragile' + 'Close To The Edge' works as a piece, so why skip 'Fragile' (IMHO the best single Yes album) in favour of something as weak as 'Going'?

Or maybe I should just be glad they've avoided getting all Topographic on me ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1371640068' post='2116432']
Is it just me, or is that a rather odd selection?

'Yes Album' + 'Fragile' + 'Close To The Edge' works as a piece, so why skip 'Fragile' (IMHO the best single Yes album) in favour of something as weak as 'Going'?
[/quote]
I would think it's because Fragile features solo pieces by Anderson, Bruford & Wakeman, so they couldn't play the album in it's entirety .

They did a tour which featured most of Fragile (though not done as a single 'front to back' performance) when Anderson and Wakeman were in the lineup, maybe 10 yrs back or so?. Never heard them do Gates of Delerium, they did it on a tour I saw but missed it out on the night I was there!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1371642719' post='2116487']
Never heard them do Gates of Delerium, they did it on a tour I saw but missed it out on the night I was there!
[/quote]
They did that on the "Magnification" tour when they had the orchestra with them - it sounded pretty fantastic.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1371640299' post='2116438']
I would think it's because Fragile features solo pieces by Anderson, Bruford & Wakeman, so they couldn't play the album in it's entirety .
[/quote]

Those three pieces total less than 10 minutes' music between them, and that's being generous by describing [i][b]5% Of Nothing[/b][/i] as "music".

[i][b]We Have Heaven[/b][/i] was never really something that could be performed live anyway, IMHO.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1371642854' post='2116493']
They did that on the "Magnification" tour when they had the orchestra with them - it sounded pretty fantastic.
[/quote]

Yeah, that was the one. It was a good gig anyway but it would have made it special for me if they'd done 'Gates'. They had been playing it ealier in the tour but it was a fairly long one and by the time the UK shows came up they were dropping it on some nights and I was unlucky.