Why become a member? ×

June/July Mix Competition - THE RESULTS!

Skol303

I've given them a summary listening, but will have to go over them again. I could at least recognise my own (yay..! progress..!). I'm not sure whether to priveledge in my voting those that re-composed, or re-arranged, or those that held firm to the original material. Both have merits, but are rather contradictory. Hmm... Decisions, decisions... :unsure:

Hmmm interesting, some very obvious drum replacement going on in some of these, often at the expense of the cymbals/OH, which kind of neuters the kit to my ear (noone said drum replacement was easy!)

Down to a choice between 3 quite quickly....

I would like to make a point.

I'm quite interested to be thrown into the deep end next month with some EDM, or something similar. I don't reckon I could do anything fantastic, but I think it would be a great learning curve. And like Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.

This is a tricky on for me this month , My favourite piece is hardly a mix, it seems almost a re-recording , some of the best of the others have left in bits that I would have thought were first for the chop, those that didn't do that then seemed to have lost the drums , or sped the song up a touch. dilemmas , dilemmas.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1374325951' post='2147598']
This is a tricky on for me this month , My favourite piece is hardly a mix, it seems almost a re-recording , some of the best of the others have left in bits that I would have thought were first for the chop, those that didn't do that then seemed to have lost the drums , or sped the song up a touch. dilemmas , dilemmas.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Some of them are done really well though. I've not had a listen in a couple of days, so I'm going to listen again now and try and pick the one I like best.

Since uploading the mix, I've decided to try and mix it from scratch again, and I've only got the bass track done and already it sounds better than my last one!

Voted. Same dilemma; respect of the 'source'..? Re-engineering..? Cut'n'shut..? Choices, choices... Done now, so that's that. 'Twill be interesting to have the explanations and divers points of view in the 'post-mortem' phase.
Well done to all who passed so much time mixing, and congratulations to those who listened through all, sometimes a couple of times. Those who did both, of course, are [i]really [/i]crazy..! :lol:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1374338611' post='2147810']
Voted. Same dilemma; respect of the 'source'..? Re-engineering..? Cut'n'shut..? Choices, choices... Done now, so that's that. 'Twill be interesting to have the explanations and divers points of view in the 'post-mortem' phase.
Well done to all who passed so much time mixing, and congratulations to those who listened through all, sometimes a couple of times. Those who did both, of course, are [i]really [/i]crazy..! :lol:
[/quote]

Thats the dilemma do you mix the song or the band.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374346742' post='2147969']
Hey! Just because the room I live in has padded walls doesn't mean I'm crazy! :lol:
[/quote]

Cuts down the noise from the screaming around you, though, doesn't it..? :happy:

Gearing up for a second listen to these... it's tough to compare the 100% organic versions with with the "added ingredients" versions. (Apples and, er, genetically-modified oranges?) I'll might limit my shortlist to those in the opposite camp to mine, then I won't be swayed by my enduring affection for own version ;-)

Personally, there are a couple there that I would never have voted for, but people have voted for them. I think there's a real divide with this one. It seems more fragmented. Usually there are 3 or 4 that do well, but there's 2 doing well, and 4 with 1 vote. I got a vote, and it wasn't even my vote, which makes me happy! Somebody liked my mix! :D

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1374591727' post='2150611']
well been back and fourth,and have no idear on the tec side of mixing,I voted for what I liked to hear,hope thats ok :D hehe just call me Mr Thicky
[/quote]

That's the idea mate! You choose the one you would most like to hear on the radio!