Why become a member? ×

June/July Mix Competition - THE RESULTS!

Skol303

A mate of mine is recording tracks with his band currently, and I've just asked if they want to let us use a track for the comp next month. He's making not promises, but he said he'll have a talk with the other guys. But if we mix their song, and there's one in particular they like and want to use, would everyone be OK to let them use it if they are kind enough to let us use their song for next month's comp?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374599041' post='2150746']A mate of mine is recording tracks with his band currently, and I've just asked if they want to let us use a track for the comp next month. He's making not promises, but he said he'll have a talk with the other guys. But if we mix their song, and there's one in particular they like and want to use, would everyone be OK to let them use it if they are kind enough to let us use their song for next month's comp?[/quote]

Nice one Milty! The more people get interested in this, the better :)

Is there a rough mix of the track already available? If so please post a link so we can have a listen and get everyone's opinion on it for the next challenge.

Speaking of which, I'll need to hand over responsibility of running the next one to someone else (August is going to be crazy busy at work!)... although I'm very happy to muck in again after that.

So... any takers?? :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1374614754' post='2151015']

Is there a rough mix of the track already available? If so please post a link so we can have a listen and get everyone's opinion on it for the next challenge.

Speaking of which, I'll need to hand over responsibility of running the next one to someone else (August is going to be crazy busy at work!)... although I'm very happy to muck in again after that.

[/quote]

I don't know yet. He should get back to me, then we'll have a listen. I don't know if they've had any mixing done yet, but we'll see.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1374615484' post='2151035']
^ Cool. Keep us updated mate.

If they don't get back in time for the next one, then we can always keep their track 'in the bank' for the one after.
[/quote]

Absolutely!

And I can't volunteer to oversee things this month. It's just taken me all night to upload a 3 minute video!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1374614754' post='2151015']

[/quote]

I will have to check the upload speeds at work , If they are half decent I could have a go , but I am away half the month and realistically wont be able to sit down and do anything until 28th unless it becomes a 2 monther again and I should be fine for the end of September

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1374875851' post='2154467']
:lol: I guess it is , but then so are a few , maybe mine aswell , or maybe not
[/quote]

I scoffed "Listen to these ones, MINE is far superior to these!". Anonymous votes on anonymous mixes don't lie though (although I'm sure we could all pick out Skol's mix!).

Sorry, meant to say earlier, but I was talking to my mate earlier, and he said he thinks the tracks won't done in time for us to use, which is a shame. :(

So should we be searching the library that we got "uncle dad" from in the last mix comp? I can have a listen through some of them in the next few days, if you want?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374973337' post='2155443']Sorry, meant to say earlier, but I was talking to my mate earlier, and he said he thinks the tracks won't done in time for us to use, which is a shame. :(

So should we be searching the library that we got "uncle dad" from in the last mix comp? I can have a listen through some of them in the next few days, if you want?[/quote]

No probs Milty! We can save your mate's track for a future challange - it's one in the bank :)

Unless we get someone coming forward with material, then yeah I reckon [url="http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm"]Mike Senior's multitrack library[/url] is a good place to find the next project to mix. Post any of your favourites here for everyone to chew on.

If we want an EDM track next time, then there are additional places we can look - this site lists all current commmercial remix competitions, which can be a good source of stems for EDM, hip hop, RnB, pop, etc.

http://www.remixcomps.com/

Voted, toss up between two for me, but the slightly better drums (replaced to heck though they are, the treatment of the cymbals is really good on them too, but the replacement/enhancement has been very well executed IMO) of the one I eventually voted for won the argument.

I preferred the other ones low end mind.

Very fine efforts all around chaps!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1375266537' post='2158955']
Voted, toss up between two for me, but the slightly better drums (replaced to heck though they are, the treatment of the cymbals is really good on them too, but the replacement/enhancement has been very well executed IMO) of the one I eventually voted for won the argument.

I preferred the other ones low end mind.

Very fine efforts all around chaps!
[/quote]

Come on then, which 2 were they? :D

Who fancies a crack at mixing Kit Richardson's You Look So Good Tonight?

Follow the link in my Sig to hear it.

Proper bit of mixing this serious track count etc etc and incredibly thoughtful if Nigel to take it upon himself to ask Kit, even better that she said yes!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1375315153' post='2159800']
Who fancies a crack at mixing Kit Richardson's You Look So Good Tonight?

Follow the link in my Sig to hear it.

Proper bit of mixing this serious track count etc etc and incredibly thoughtful if Nigel to take it upon himself to ask Kit, even better that she said yes!
[/quote]

I'm up for it. I'll have a listen tomorrow!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1371507874' post='2114920']...this month's winner is [b]ironside1966[/b] with over 45% of the vote! Very well done indeed :)...

Well done to everyone who entered. Now it's time to spill the beans on your own mix and post constructive feedback on others...[/quote]

Indeed; congratulations on a fine piece of work. It seems to have paid off, having chosen to re-arrange (almost re-compose..!) the piece, and the result is indeed striking. I think we all (or mostly...) went more or less timidly down this road. I even asked for clarification early on, so as to establish the legitimacy of doing this. A green light was consensually given; in the end I limited my own rework to simply multiplying up the drum track and treating each version separately, bringing out just the elements I wanted (kick, snare etc...).
There were interesting choices to be made, too, concerning the intro (fluffed..? intentional..?) and the mic-mac with the vocal near the end. We each had a different take, it seems, in leaving in or chopping with more or less severity. For my part, I decided to leave in as much as possible, but try to get it to sound as best as I could. Perhaps not the best choice, but...
I did find the intro a bit bare, and, rather than record myself, I 'snipped' the solo guitar and pasted it onto the intro. This gave, I thought, a rather nice coincidental aspect to the real solo parts later, where the doubling-up works, in a quirky sort of way.
The bass came in for particular attention; I made use of the 2 tracks, using the treated version to 'beef up' the refrain, and back to the 'straight' cut to thin out through the verse.
An enjoyable exercise, in all, with a genre for which I have some fondness. It did start to become tiresome after a few sessions, and I'm glad I didn't spend a whole month listening out for overspill or such. The result is therefore somewhat 'brutal' (warts and all...), but I'm quite happy to listen back to my mix. Proud..? Modestly, yes.
That's it from me; thanks for reading...