Why become a member? ×

June/July Mix Competition - THE RESULTS!

Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1373877078' post='2142404']
Last orders!

Today is your final chance to submit a mix if you haven't already done so.

Voting will then commence on Wednesday night (17th) and finish at the end of the month (31st).

Get busy :)
[/quote]

Was working on some final details last night. Just need to do a couple more things, then get everything balanced nicely and that should be it!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1373884085' post='2142516']Was working on some final details last night. Just need to do a couple more things, then get everything balanced nicely and that should be it![/quote]

Well done Milty.

There's me ringing the bell for last orders, when I still have [i]lots[/i] to do on mine... :blink: Been too busy with the composition competition (and life in general) and have let this slip. Never mind. I've got enough time tonight to finish what I've started and make a half-decent job of it.

Happy to say that the standard of mixes already received has been great. Well done everyone!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1373887991' post='2142605']
Well done Milty.

There's me ringing the bell for last orders, when I still have [i]lots[/i] to do on mine... :blink: Been too busy with the composition competition (and life in general) and have let this slip. Never mind. I've got enough time tonight to finish what I've started and make a half-decent job of it.

Happy to say that the standard of mixes already received has been great. Well done everyone!
[/quote]

I'm just having a listen to mine now to make sure it all sounds OK. Wish I had something respectable to listen to it on, but it sounds pretty good on the laptop speakers, so that must be a good sign! :D

I think I'll just upload it as is. I've done plenty to it, I think, and making it sound better at this point is beyond my capabilities I think :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1373888891' post='2142626']I think I'll just upload it as is. I've done plenty to it, I think, and making it sound better at this point is beyond my capabilities I think :D[/quote]

There's definitely comes a point (for me at least) when further tweaks to a mix just start making it sound worse. That's usually a good sign of knowing it's time to abandon it! :lol:

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1373924789' post='2143354']

Twig, are you far off being finished?
[/quote]
Yep I got 60% through the drum replacement - still got the toms to do....but I'm never going to do it.
I used Audiosnap in Sonar to get the midi timing for all the drum hits, was identifying which hit was which manually and allocating it to the appropriate drum in my kit.....it was a very long tedious process which I am not going to finish. I had replaced the kicks and the snares and the hats, just really had the toms to do....

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1373930035' post='2143437']
Yep I got 60% through the drum replacement - still got the toms to do....but I'm never going to do it.
I used Audiosnap in Sonar to get the midi timing for all the drum hits, was identifying which hit was which manually and allocating it to the appropriate drum in my kit.....it was a very long tedious process which I am not going to finish. I had replaced the kicks and the snares and the hats, just really had the toms to do....
[/quote]

The toms didn't take me that long actually, although admittedly, I never did finish them :blush:

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1373930035' post='2143437']...I had replaced the kicks and the snares and the hats, just really had the toms to do....
[/quote]

The toms can't be that important; after all aren't they only drums..? :mellow:

:lol:

Ok, that's mine done and now I'm off to catch some zzz's...

A shamefully hasty effort from me this time round, but no matter! 'Twas fun.

Some great entries this month - everyone seems to progressing in leaps and bounds, so well done all. Voting will up tomorrow or Wednesday. If anyone is still slogging at it then don't worry - I won't be uploading anything until tomorrow night (so it's not quite 'last orders', more of a cheeky lock in ;)).

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1374000889' post='2144149']Enjoy that process old bean ;)[/quote]

:lol: That made me laugh mate. Jeez... it's like a textbook definition of tedious. Watching blue bars slowly creep their way across the screen. One after the other. Relentless. Punishing. For all eternity.

So... who fancies being caretaker next month?? :D

[PS: I have a newly-found love of MP3s and their dinky file sizes...]

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1374001271' post='2144155']
:lol: That made me laugh mate. Jeez... it's like a textbook definition of tedious. Watching blue bars slowly creep their way across the screen. One after the other. Relentless. Punishing. For all eternity.

So... who fancies being caretaker next month?? :D

[PS: I have a newly-found love of MP3s and their dinky file sizes...]
[/quote]

Last month, there was no issue for me, because I had accidentally uploaded it in MP3 format, with an extra couple of minutes of extra silence at the end (for good luck, obviously), and it took a few minutes. This month, having learned how to make it a WAV file format, it took me about 10 tries to get it uploaded, some taking 40 minutes, before it freezing at the last 3%! :angry:

I really feel for you if it's anything like that, but considering I struggle enough to upload one track, let alone anywhere between 6 and 12, I think I'll not raise my hand for next month, if that's alright with you? :D

Ooh, I'm first to vote! There's a clear winner in my opinion this month, and it's a work of pure genius... although possibly approaching a cover version...!
Strong work all round again though with some difficult source material. Very different approaches to the challenge; I'm dying to know who replaced what instrument. Sounds like some people redid the bassline? And someone seems to have found the original a bit slow! Liking the bold edits.
Andy.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1374013922' post='2144350']I can't find any of the mixes on my phone. It would be cool if they were all arranged in a list so you don't have to go looking for each mix.[/quote]

Done! :) See original post for a handy list of links to each mix.

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1374013548' post='2144343']
Very different approaches to the challenge; I'm dying to know who replaced what instrument. Sounds like some people redid the bassline? And someone seems to have found the original a bit slow! Liking the bold edits.
Andy.
[/quote]

A couple definitely redid the bassline, I think. I believe one of the ones with a redone bassline to belong to the man who did the original bass recording on this song. I did wonder though that one seemed to be faster, but I don't think it actually was, I think it just seemed faster, for some odd reason. Maybe I'm wrong, but that was the conclusion I came to.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1374014569' post='2144356']
Ignore the above. One stands out to me as a clear winner.
[/quote]

Aw thanks :) :D