Why become a member? ×

Trading and selling on Basschat seems to have dramatically declined

cloudburst

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1371560443' post='2115500']
I would agree. I have said the same thing. Of course, to be a business they'd still need to work out what they were selling.
[/quote]

You have a group of people with a huge knowledge base... that attracts more people...there is a FS board which attracts more
and you have the numbers to be a target for adverts....which you can charge for.
You might even start selling a few things... ?

It isn't an immediate return but if you branch out into associated sites..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1371560976' post='2115513']
You have a group of people with a huge knowledge base... that attracts more people...there is a FS board which attracts more
and you have the numbers to be a target for adverts....which you can charge for.
You might even start selling a few things... ?

It isn't an immediate return but if you branch out into associated sites..??
[/quote]

Could do - as per Fly's previous posts about slowly growing into a business. I don't think ads or merch would ever make the big money, however - you'd need something else, to my mind.

But I agree. It would prod some questions about what we wanted to do next, or in the longer-term :)

Fumps, think we are cross purposes. I'll ignore the sarcasm font if you don't mind ;) I am more than happy that the sales fora fees are going to help keep the site running AND DEVELOPING. Whichever way funding is brought about, some folk will be unhappy. At least with this way people are not getting charged a membership for all the other areas that we have. I don't decry the charging system, merely pointed out, like many others have pointed out, that some are unhappy with paying up front to place an advert for an item that may not sell. I think that is more a reason for some folk to be cautious. I am such a mind changing gear tart I had no choice but to happily fork out my £20. :lol:

A drop in the traffic was inevitable, and £20 for a years' worth of listings seems good value to me. The "problem" arises for the people who aren't perennial gear whores and who aren't regularly trying to shift stuff on, or for people who want to sell things that are worth £50-60 (like many pedals). As good as the BC market is, £7 for a possible sale is quite a lot in those circumstances. I personally think that the one-off fee is a little too high.

I am not from the UK so to transfer the 20£ is already another step which I have to take...I don't have visa and starting the whole thing with an international money transfer is perhaps the only way to get the money where it belongs. I have bought and sold a lot of stuff here on bass.chat without any problems (people are great around here) but luckily my wild buying/selling days are over. When there is something I want to sell I try to sell it locally but in the past bass.chat was the place to be since there's an international community buying and selling around here which gave a super-boost.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1371394896' post='2113293']
The fee stopped me from selling my Stingray on here, I sold it elsewhere.

Perhaps 2-3 free postings a year for members and a charge if you want to sell more?
[/quote]

Really? I have paid the fee a few times now, paid it with pleasure and it took away the guilt of not contributing.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1371402139' post='2113409']
10-16 June 2012 - New Posts in Basses for Sale - 70
10-16 June 2013 - New Posts in Basses for Sale - 35
[/quote]

Interesting, I suppose it won't be possible to do a similar comparison for number of basses actually sold in the same periods

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1371573603' post='2115737']
Really? I have paid the fee a few times now, paid it with pleasure and it took away the guilt of not contributing.
[/quote]

Wow, check you out questioning an honest opinion.

You used the words 'guilty' and 'pleasure' in the same sentence. What ever floats your boat is fine by me, just don't expect the world to follow in the belief that you're right and others are wrong.

No, I didn't pay the fee. And yes I sold the bass for exactly what I wanted fee free. So what? I was just commenting on my experience, get over it and leave others be.

Edited by Chiliwailer

This topic has gone off in a direction I didn't really envisage. Here are my thoughts on the Basschat marketplace:

- I paid the £20. I have no problem with the fee. I can see where some folk are coming from regarding the single sale fee and how it perhaps inhibits trading of lower value items. Perhaps it would be a good idea to retain the £20 per annum fee, but to change the single item fee to be a percentage of sale/trade value.

- During the recession, many folk may be more hesitant to part with actual cash. It would be great for their GAS if they were still able to frequently trade instruments amongst each other and the rest of us in a vibrant trading marketplace. That could keep a lot of folks interested in Basschat and away from eBay, Gumtree or Facebook. Perhaps the fee structure could be reviewed in some way to stimulate this sort of trading on the site.

- I'd like us to be able to buy and sell Rickenbackers again. To enable this, I'd like the moderators to moderate the marketplace and to immediately remove any content which slips through the net if John Hall asks them to (basically to be JH's occasional b*tches). I know this opinion has lost me some friends, but it's my opinion nonetheless and I'm sticking to it.

- I think* I'd prefer the money generated within the Basschat marketplace to be used for maintenance of Basschat rather than development of Guitarchat. *only heard about the new site last night, so haven't had the chance to give it much thought.

CB

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1371572890' post='2115716']
I am not from the UK so to transfer the 20£ is already another step which I have to take...I don't have visa and starting the whole thing with an international money transfer is perhaps the only way to get the money where it belongs.
[/quote]
I can't think of a simpler way of paying £20 than the one that Basschat uses.

I think the fee's are the killer! As expressed by many, the fee is extremely good value for multi-deal people or even for high value items, but for the £50-£300 market people will think twice about just firing stuff up for sale on a whim. I have no facts or figures to back this up but its an educated guess.

Again though, I do think the fee's are perfectly acceptable!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1371587674' post='2115981']
Chill out, Chilli - don't take it to heart. It's good to have a spread if opinions, keeps us all honest :)
[/quote]

I hear you man, a spreads of opinions is right on. However was there really a need for spreading a load on someone's post? The point could have been made without trying to put another persons post down, i.e. make your point and don't quote another as wrong!

Ok, the Chill is chilled. Cheers.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1371588581' post='2116002'] I hear you man, a spreads of opinions is right on. However was there really a need for spreading a load on someone's post? The point could have been made without trying to put another persons post down, i.e. make your point and don't quote another as wrong! Ok, the Chill is chilled. Cheers. [/quote]

Hey chum, you're the one with aggressive responses, I was expressing surprise at your experience and making known my own. I'm not expecting you to follow me, why would I do that? I expect nothing of you as I don't know you. And as such I certainly wouldn't be putting you down (like picking up on use of words and suggesting 'whatever floats your boat').

I appreciate and enjoy this board and have felt a tad guilty never making any contribution in the past, even selling stuff and not doing so. Having to pay simply made me do what I thought I should anyway. Result a pleasure.

One thing I have noticed though.... people are spending less generally.... but more folk seem to be using bass gear, bass direct etc and selling on commission.... if this is happening rather than it all goung through basschat... that might be a good thing for us UK based bass players?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1371589437' post='2116008']
Hey chum, you're the one with aggressive responses,
[/quote]

is that 'Chum' meant in a passive way?

It's not about aggression, it's about the fact that you pick a target to springboard your belief. It's that simple.

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1371559161' post='2115465']
I am an advocate of the fee. I [i]like[/i] the fact the for sale forum is now no longer a gushing torrent where your bass would be on page three by the time you hit 'refresh' to check your listing.

I understand the decision to ban rics for sale.

That doesn't stop me being miffed that the fee I paid I understood to mean I could sell anything, and now I'm left with a Ric I'm trying to sell, and I'm having to expose myself to the risk of Gumtree or evilbay in order to do so.
[/quote]

Drop me a PM - if it's a blue one, I might just be able to help you out.

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1371580059' post='2115856']
- I think* I'd prefer the money generated within the Basschat marketplace to be used for maintenance of Basschat rather than development of Guitarchat. *only heard about the new site last night, so haven't had the chance to give it much thought.

CB
[/quote]

I think they should spend what they have to on Basschat, and spend what they want to on Guitarchat. When Guitarchat is up, I'd imagine all the money will be going into the one pot, so if it has a bigger draw or a bigger marketplace, who's to say that the money paid into Guitarchat won't also be used for Basschat? Not that I find it a particularly big issue, but there is a gap in the market for a decent Guitar forum in the UK, and I know many of us are also guitar players, some members even being the guitarist in the band they are in. I'm not exactly disagreeing or arguing with you, just raising a few points that you maybe you hadn't thought of :)