Why become a member? ×

Elixir Strings massive price increase...

fretmeister

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1372200972' post='2122948']
Just put the cleartones on my Ricky and I have to admit I think they are excellent. They feel great the coating is really subtle. I generally find the rick a bit of a challenge but the heavier gauge really helps out.
[/quote]
I'm very pleased and relieved to hear it mate! :)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1371153922' post='2110691']
[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co/stringmails/june2013/Elixir_Price_Rise/Elixir_Price_Rise.html"]http://www.stringsdi...Price_Rise.html[/url]

And cut n paste from Facebook...

A note from SD on facebook:

Strings Direct
"Hey Guys. Just a further update on the Elixir price rise. Below is the new prices effective from 1st July 2013.
Not as bad as we were first informed by our supplier. But still a 40% increase on some sets.
If anyone feels they bought any stock that they didn't want as a result of the initial Elixir price rise email/posts please contact us for a returns number and we will happily refund you in full."

80/20 Acoustics £14.99 (+16%)
Phos Bronze Acoustics £15.99 (+14.6%)
Electric Strings £11.95 (+9.5%)
Bass Strings £42.95 (+43%)

So us low Enders are well f***ed.
[/quote]

Have they looked at the sales of their bass strings and thought "Well, we aren't selling enough of these, best ramp up the price by around half!". Honestly, why would you pay that for a set of perfectly standard strings? Is anyone really that dedicated to any one brand that they would pay double for something that most other brands make for half? It seems like they have essentially priced themselves out of the market.

Since I started playing double bass I struggle to find anything shocking about the price of bass guitar strings...

I tried elixir strings for the first time s couple of weeks ago and I thought they sounded very good, and to be fair if they last three times longer than normal roundwounds then it's not such a bad price.

A 43% increase is not really fair and doesn't look good. They are really just saying "hey, bassists, we don't really care about you." Even though the market is smaller for bass strings shouldn't they one, be the same percentage increase as the guitar strings, you would still make if the same percentage of profit probably, two would it make that much of a difference as yes material costs are going up but the 43% seems too much and is going to drive so people away.

I've tried loads of different brands, including other coated strings. Elixirs are perfect for me, and they last months and months in my hands. I'll pay more for them because I buy them so infrequently. It's quite a hike, though - I doubt it'll attract many new customers. I hope it doesn't mean they are becoming too expensive to produce - I dunno what I'd do without them!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1372257755' post='2123489']
I've tried loads of different brands, including other coated strings. Elixirs are perfect for me, and they last months and months in my hands. I'll pay more for them because I buy them so infrequently. It's quite a hike, though - I doubt it'll attract many new customers. I hope it doesn't mean they are becoming too expensive to produce - I dunno what I'd do without them!
[/quote]

They'll be forced to bring the price down if people don't buy as many at the higher rate though.

Newtone. Tell them what you want and they make it for you. Substantially less than £42 a set! Really love them, I use their Platinums exclusively now (apart from the Trubass on the old P).

Even tension 0.42-0.96 - I think, they remembered for me on my last order!

Don't buy them then :D.

I think there's too much hype about strings, I wouldn't buy cheap ones, but I certainly wouldn't buy expensive ones either.

D'addario are great strings can be had for a lot cheaper, they last me ages too, and I do at least 5 hours practice a day.

The new price is not being passed on to dealers yet so there should be plenty of pre-increase stock kicking around for a good while yet. There's a lot less of the new stainless ones around so I think may be the first to start rising.

Increases will only be applied to dealer orders post July 1st so should take some time to filter through. It'll be interesting to see exactly how far this will push the 'street' price up.

Fodera prices are also rising on July 1st but it's only about 10%. Sounds like there might be a few more increases on the way as well :(

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1371157400' post='2110751']
If you like zingy coated strings, try DR Strings. Though it seems roundwound strings have doubled in price since I switched to flatwound.
[/quote]
Yeah, so glad I play flats now. Need to buy a new set of labellas though...