Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Boys and their toys?

mickster

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1370550467' post='2102675']
mr mickster i hope you didnt buy that nikon rubbish did you? should have gone for canon mate ;)
[/quote]

Heh, heh...nah, you got me all wrong, guv. Proper old school 5x4 Wista's & the smell of fixer in the morning's what does it for me: none of that high falutin' digi nonsense... :lol:

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1370541016' post='2102463']
...my Dad's better'n your Dad...he's a Fireman and a Policeman and he could beat your Dad up....
[/quote]
Yeah but your Dad would have to dig my Dad up first! So mneeerrr!

If you think bass players are geeky gear nerds i'll raise you motorbuke enduro riders and mountain bikers..phew.....different league!

I would agree there is much brand loyalty among. players....until they play a yamaha then they never look back!!!!

There are of course many BCers with many tastes - I can only speak for myself. I have only two basses - both Fenders, but neither are American (a MiM Jazz and a CiJ Precision which serve me well). I've only ever owned two other basses - a Westone Thunder 1A (hear that? A collective BC pang of nostalgia...) and an Ibanez Musician (a lesser groan of "damn, he's as old as me...").

Amps? I've used HH, Laney, Line 6, Trace Elliot and Ampeg.

I like what I've got, but I'm not slavish to any brands. It's always horses for courses. My current Ampeg rig has a lovely tone, but at 45 I hate carrying the bloody thing around. My P bass is a recent addition, more for authenticity of sound in the punk band I'm in, but the pickup is underpowered. If I went back to playing pop or - gulp - slap, then I'd probably get a Warwick.

I can't really afford to be gregarious with brands - it's always horses for courses. Bit like owning a car I guess - people will always defend and recommend what they have, but there are always better ones out there.

Like I said - this is just me. There are some members here with 10 or 15 different P Basses. Nothing wrong with that all, and as with all things, it's a matter of how they make you feel. My first ever eleccy guitar of any kind was a nasty Kay guitar from Woolworths, and I felt like a king when I first got that...

BB

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370541897' post='2102475']
With basses as with photography , the people who focus on the equipment to a fetishitic degree are usually amateur enthusiasts , whereas to professionals the equipment is mostly just tools of the trade to make money with . There is nothing wrong with being interested in equipment - people who are may or may not also know how to use it to make music or to take photographs with - but it is a slightly different passion than the purely artistic and creative . The fact is that it is much easier to focus on external problems with equipment than it is to get down to the crux of most people's problems , namely how to use the equipment more skillfully . Buying a new bass is a lot easier to focus your energies on than learning how to play the one you already have properly . I'm as interested in gear as the next person , probably more so , but I have learnt through experience a long time ago that a far greater sense of satisfaction comes from being able to play well than from aquiring any new toys .
[/quote]

I'll agree with this to an extent - certainly, I think it covers many cases. However, I think many of the amateur enthusiasts talk so much about equipment because they don't have a lot else to talk about when it comes to their bass playing. Talent and knowledge are not mutually exclusive; there are still plenty of professionals who know their stuff when it comes to gear. Take Geddy Lee for example, in all the interviews I've seen with him, he definitely seems to know his stuff when it comes to his amps, his instruments etc. However, discussion of that often covers only a small portion of the interview because his lines and playing are also interesting enough to inspire conversation, perhaps unlike the average amateur enthusiast.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1370585942' post='2102978']
Hmm...

ACG, Fender, Yamaha.... nope can't see much in common between them :lol:
[/quote]

Forget ACG or Fender, is that a Hotpoint I see in the background?

Edited by Ziphoblat

Fenders are a mans bass I find. Rickenbackers although not exclusively played by homosexuals are very much gay. This is merely my interpretation and I'm not putting it across to in any way slight homosexuality or its purveyors. You may notice I make no reference to my own sexuality so I could be observing from either side of the fence before anyone starts straddling the horse that is taller than the rest. It's weird I've always felt that way about these two brands. The others seem to all fall somewhere in between for me.

I like [i]my[/i] "fender"s. Not desperately obsessed by Fenders in particular, same as I like my Rickalike, and other stuff. If other people don't like my instruments that's fine, I don't make them play them.
My favourite bass is made of so many different basses that there is only one in the world, it is mine, and I doubt anybody else would like it, in fact most people who have tried it have variously described it as "an unplayable piece of crap" "a lump of driftwood and rust" and "what the f**k is that thing?" but I love it.

I tend to stick with the axiom, if it sounds good and plays good, it is good. There is so much variety just in the narrow field of MIA P-Basses/stratocasters etc. etc. that you can't pick them that way that easily.

I need to listen to more Soft Machine btw....
:)

I think I'm some kind of oddball (I know it's obvious) when it comes to kit.

I kind of see a Bass choice as a very personal thing. I have read comments on here saying that the bass I own is a pile of sh*t. I'm not bothered, the bass I own fits me & my playing style perfectly, there are other more famous basses that I personally dont like as I dont like the feel, weight, balance, neck......whatever, anyway my personal view is that I see kit as a tool to do what I need it to do there are some pretty kit out there but you get the kit you need & make sure it fits you.

I have seen very loyal attitudes towards certain brands on this forum before, I often dont share their opinion. Some people will like certain things others wont. It just down to the individual.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1370615197' post='2103513']
I think I'm some kind of oddball (I know it's obvious) when it comes to kit.

I kind of see a Bass choice as a very personal thing. I have read comments on here saying that the bass I own is a pile of sh*t. I'm not bothered, the bass I own fits me & my playing style perfectly, there are other more famous basses that I personally dont like as I dont like the feel, weight, balance, neck......whatever, anyway my personal view is that I see kit as a tool to do what I need it to do there are some pretty kit out there but you get the kit you need & make sure it fits you.

I have seen very loyal attitudes towards certain brands on this forum before, I often dont share their opinion. Some people will like certain things others wont. It just down to the individual.
[/quote]
Spot on sir.