Why become a member? ×

Ohhh!...it's Jethro Tull Living In The Past..I never knew that!

iconic

Over the last few weeks I've had conversations like " ooh you know must know it!"..."that hippy tune"... "with flutes".... "and a great bassline"..."you should know, you were there, I mean you are old 'n stuff"....it's hard to describe a tune to someone at the pub!

Well bash my gonads with an iron bar this gem is by Jethro Tull....I've heard of them, who hasn't, but to me all I know is that they were/are a hairy, unwashed prog' rock to me, I borrowed an album about trees or something from a girlfriend and it got all of 45 seconds playing, hated it.

......but now this tune is my current favorite squeeze, I need to know if there are any other gems from these guys...the bass player is a Glen Cormick I think? Be interesting to hear about this guy too?

Educate me gentlemen please.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgQN6PiSg-4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgQN6PiSg-4[/url]

Sorry you didn't turn into a treehugger. I'd still be as impolite as to say: go back to those trees, and repeat the song "Songs from the Wood" until you either love it or litterally throw up. I think it's a masterful song.

Other than that, there's more where Living in the Past comes from - as in the period of their first three albums. Many memorable songs I don't remember. They have so much character and IMHO uniqueness.
"Aqualung" is by many seen as the quintessential album. Personally I would add "Warchild". There are som unforgettable songs on that one, like "Two Fingers", "Bungle in the Jungle", "Sea Lion".

Uh oh. Battery on my laptop. Bye!

Lot of time for Jethro Tull - prog rock was a real cornerstone of growing up and some of my first musical experiences.

Saw them in York a few years back. Stunning, just stunning. Full of humour, self-deprecation and impeccable musicianship. Safe to say I enjoyed it :)

If you want to hear Glen at his best look no further than 'Stand Up', their second proper album. Full of quality stuff (but no LITP, that was a slightly later single). Personally my fave bass player in Tull was the late great John Glascock. However if that 'album about trees' you hated was 'Songs from the Wood' then I'm afraid you probably won't like the albums that probably showcase his playing best. Depends what type of stuff you like, folky or harder edged?

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1370468496' post='2101586']
Personally I would add "Warchild". There are som unforgettable songs on that one, like "Two Fingers", "Bungle in the Jungle", "Sea Lion".
[/quote]
Don't forget "Skating away on the thin ice of the new day" - probably my Favourite Tull song & one of my favourite songs by anybody ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTKu-L1b--o

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1370468707' post='2101592']
Lot of time for Jethro Tull - prog rock was a real cornerstone of growing up and some of my first musical experiences.
[/quote]

Ditto.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1370469140' post='2101598']
Don't forget "Skating away on the thin ice of the new day" - probably my Favourite Tull song & one of my favourite songs by anybody ever:
[/quote]

Ditto.

Nicely played sir and thanks for reminding me what a great bass line that song has. Always good to hear a melodic bass being played up the dusty end.
Never was a great fan of prog rock or any other genre for that matter. Individual songs/tunes, well crafted and well executed with an unexpected or unusual element do it for me every time, regardless of their style or era.
Must see if I can find the dots or tab for LITP now I've had the chance to hear it again. Incidentally, I was playing in a band in South Wales when it came out. We thought about learning it then realised we didn't have a flute player !!

Myk

Loved Tull as a nipper. Dave Pegg is my first and most enduring influence, but Cornick, Glascock and Hammond-Hammond also feature. Not seen them since 2006, though. Ian Andersons's voice sounds totally shot now, sadly...

Played 'Locomotive breath' with David Palmer once, after the operation and name change to Dee, though. Lovely lady, erudite and a real polymath.

Still want a Jazz with a reverse precision neck on it and a dodgy hippy paint job. That's Glenn Cornick's fault that is.

Saw Anderson doing the Thick as a Brick show at a festival last year, it was not great. i was sad.
:(

First 3 Tull albums are utterly sublime. Reissue of Stand Up on CD has LITP on it as well. :)

My fave Tull track is called "Up the 'Pool". All about Blackpool and as you may or not know Ian Anderson was living in his childhood in Blackpool. When I lived in St Annes, you could walk past a house and see Gold Disks on the wall. I guess his parents retired down to St Annes.

The track is great lyrical observation about Blackpool and often holds true today 40 years on.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1370510422' post='2101914']
Saw Anderson doing the Thick as a Brick show at a festival last year, it was not great. i was sad.
[/quote]
Really? I saw it in Cardiff & thought it was bloody great.

Great band Tull. If I've seen them once, I've seen them 20+ times. So many good tunes.

Start with Benefit and Stand Up and off you go until maybe Stormwatch then skip A, check out Broadsword and Crest of a Knave. After that I think the qulity is a little more variable, but as ever it's a personal thing.

My favourites: Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses and Minstrel in the Gallery & Thick as a Brick.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1370517809' post='2102048']
Really? I saw it in Cardiff & thought it was bloody great.
[/quote]

Must have been a bad night when I saw it then, Ian's voice is a shell of what it was, and I found myself wishing he would stop trying, and let that other lad he brought in sing the whole thing instead.

I've said it before in Tull related threads, I think Stormwatch is a vastly underrated album. There are patchy periods after 'Crest' as ead says. Of the more modern albums probably Catfish Rising and Roots To Branches are probably the picks but even these are uneven in places. Tull haven't released an authentic studio album now for a long time, TAAB2 came out as Anderson solo and he seems to be at loggerheads with Martin Barre these days so the band has been a collection of backing musicians for a long time. This would be OK if Anderson's voice hadn't taken a nose dive in the 80's and never really recovered, these days it is a pale shadow of former glory (and he isn't getting any younger either) so I've missed the last couple of tours.