Why become a member? ×

Not sure what to do with my bass, keep or trade, advice wanted!

MarkG3

Here is my Fender Mike Dirnt with a 78 Tele bass neck and finished in Nitro.

[IMG]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/S9_S12_Bass/C568EFF8-3DEE-489B-86CC-89D0DD0B3B0D-3805-000004908AF25752_zpsbb2a50d0.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/S9_S12_Bass/664DBFF0-5CA9-437F-9F0C-68BF1B202CF6-3805-00000490989F27A7_zpscf868beb.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/S9_S12_Bass/0696A124-BD39-490D-80EC-09B8EBDF5AEF-3805-00000490A04B88AA_zps55c9e50c.jpg[/IMG]

Basically I have been upgrading it but yet I still find myself feeling like something isn't right with it, but what that is I don't know. I don't like that its a big slab of wood and doesn't have a contour on the back as it makes it feel like a big bass.

I don't know if I should keep it and just get on with it or if I should look at trading it for something else. I like the bass how it sounds and how it looks just don't have that 'right' feeling that I get with my Highway.

What do other people think and what would you do if this was your bass?

I've had it all professionally set up as well.

I would like people's opinions on this to see if I can look at it from a different angle?

Thanks, this isn't a cheap advert for selling or trading but that may end up where I go with it and in that case I will make a thread in the relevant forum!

Edited by OBT1000_S12

Firstly can I say that it is a lovely looking bass you have done a nice job and obviously invested some money into it. In my experience there is no point fighting an instrument, if you have owned it a while and still don't get on then perhaps it is not meant to be. I have owned several basses that I thought would be 'the one' and ended up not feeling comfy with them for various reasons. Prime example was my Stingray 5, the best sounding bass I have ever owned, looked amazing but I hated the neck and I tried and tried to love it almost a year I think, but ended up selling it.

I think after a while the small niggles you have will end up distracting you, and you don't want to be gigging or doing a session and just be thinking "god this bass is uncomfortable". The only issue you may have is that you may not only not recoup the money you spent on the bass in total but you may not even get the price of a mint Mike Dirnt Precision because you have customised it and a lot of folks out there like original and mint condition.

I would love it personally but sadly lacking in funds to make you an offer. Good luck with the decision.

If it's just the comfort feel that you have an issue with, as you've implied, then I would contour the back like a regular P, and re-spray the back only in black, cheap and easy to do, and relatively invisible if its done nicely, then you should have the bass you want.

If its just a maple neck, contour P you want, then sell this bass (I'd recommend selling the neck and body seperately), which would give you more than enough for a nice, early japanese '57 reissue......for example?

I'd be more concerned with how the neck is set up, as it's a micro-tilt, 3 bolt neck, presumably rigid fixed with a 4-bolt plate?

Just my opinion though.

Rick

Personally I think it looks cracking, but then I'm partial to a slab body P. I've got a 51 P reissue and understand what you say about it feeling big! But to me it feels right.
I've also got a Jazz that I know is good well set up and sounds great. I'm not madly in love with it , but think I should be , weird huh. I've decided to hang onto it , but have previously put it up for sale, then decided I would regret it.

I'm rubbish at giving any advice on this, obviously!!

Thanks a lot for your reply, yea I've had it for about 9 years I think I got it in 2004/2005. I have thought that if I do trade or sell then I won't make back what I spent on it which is fine as that's like with most things, but still find something about it I don't like. Maybe you're right and I've given it plenty of time to try and work, it used to be my main bass but found its weight was an issue in comparison to a standard pbass.

Thanks for the thought of buying it if you could, it does look really cool especially with the maple neck on it.

Didn't see the other replies, but thanks for those as well, the neck was a 3 bolt but I brought it and had been used as a 4 bolt neck for a while. The neck pocket on the bass needed a little light sanding which i got a luthier to do to get it to be a good fit as the pocket wasnt flat apparently but now that's done it fits fine and seemingly the micro tilt doesn't get in the way either.

I still have the original neck for this as well so I could put that back on and sell/trade the bass that way

Edited by OBT1000_S12

If I were you I'd make moves to sell it, but I'd be in no rush to do so. Its a really, really bad time to sell just now so unless you need the cash immediately then put it in a case and stash it under your bed or at the back of a wardrobe or something for 6 months. If you don't miss it, then sell it. If you do, then play it :)

Sell it. I had a similar relationship with a '51 re-issue P bass. Always wanted one, finally got it, didn't like it, paid for a whole load of stuff to be done to it (genuine Telecaster pickup fitted, custom scratch plate made, had chrome ashtrays fitted, had it professionally setup, fitted with TI flats etc), and still it just didn't do anything for me. I ended up selling it (for a loss, of course!), but better that than having a bass I didn't get on with or enjoy playing.

I would have thought you'd sell it pretty easily - you've done some nice mods to it.

Thanks again for the replies, seems like selling is the most popular. If I could trade it for something else I think would be what I would want, but still interested for other opinions and experiance to be inputed.

Interested as well to see if people think I should keep it as it is or put the old neck back on.

Thanks

What is not to like about the bass.... it is the business for someone. See if it sells, but hold tight to get the right price in the current climate. If the lack of body cut/chamfer is the issue get doing it costed. If I did not have too many basses it looks right down my street.

Hi Mark.

Having had my hands on your bass, I've got to say I thought it was a decent example and therefore very saleable. Like others have said though, now is not a brilliant time to sell, if you want to get a good return.

If it's not pleasing you, move it on, life is too short to be playing an instrument that isn't quite doing it for you, when there are so many other good ones out there.

Again, like others have said, put the original neck back on. Keep the vintage one for another project or move it on.

Good luck and enjoy the search for the right one. It might take a while and you could go through a few more before you get there but that's all part of the fun. :)

I think the other comments hit it really, if you find yourself not gelling with an instrument, either sell it, or, if in no need of the cash and it makes the same approximate sound as your favoured one,maybe keep it as a backup? I also agree about putting it back as close to standard as possible if selling - you`ll get more buyers plus you could also get a nice whack for the 78 Telebass neck as well. Maybe get another Highway with the funds?

I agree with the sell it comments.
I've found that once the seed is sown in your mind of having doubts, not gelling etc then it is the beginning of the end.
It can take a while to convince yourself of this but in the end I've always ended up moving on anything that I've started to have doubts about.

78 telebass neck.... yes please. Following other comments, selling basses is like selling houses. Whole market is depressed, your kit may sell for less, other kit also sells for less. It is all relative. Hope it works out well.

Thanks again for the replies, I have offered it up for a few trades, but if nothing comes from it then its something that Lozz said that I could keep it as a backup, because as it stands that's what it is, although arguably I could trade it for something that I enjoy a bit more.

Thanks Gary, he has had a good look over it and was actually part of helping sort the neck out in the first place.

I hadn't thought about mixing parts with my highway, but when I've thought about it I don't think there is anything I dislike or would change about the highway.

I've really spent time on trying to get this bass similar to my highway hence the nitro finish which I went over with a washing up sponge to give it a duller finish to make if like the highway.

I think it would be easier to just keep it but like its already been said I think it'll eat away at me that something isn't right with it.