Why become a member? ×

MIM

reaverman

Just wondering whether people have had a problem with Mexican Fenders?

About 4 years ago, I bought an American Special Strat (MIA), and have never had a problem. Two months ago, I bought an Telecaster Blacktop (HH), which had to be returned to have the switch replaced. Then after having my P Bass 24 hours (last Friday), it also died. Both are now working, but both are Mexican made.

From what I've been told, the quality control in the Mexican factory isn't great so sometimes you get a great guitar and sometimes you get something a bit ropey.

I have a MIM Precision that had very little output with I first had it. I found out there was a dodgy solder joint (for some reason it had gone green!) and I can only assume that that was the cause. Since I'd planned on replacing the electronics anyway it didn't bother me.

Other people buy MIM guitars that are really well built and never have a problem with them.

They're pretty hit-and-miss so the best thing to do is to try one out before you buy it wherever possible. That's the only way of knowing what you're getting.

Fender make huge volumes if instruments and there is inevitably going to be some variation irrespective of where the product was assembled. Plenty on here have posted stories of a MIM being bought over a MIA when they were both played side by side in a shop and you will find the opposite as well. The important thing is finding an instrument that works for you at a budget you are happy with. I've never had a MIM Fender but I wouldn't rule them out if I was in the market for an new bass.

Well the workmanship is pretty good on both, just the electronics seem to be at fault on both. Thankfully both work well now, and my local guitar dealership (Andertons), are pretty fantastic at sorting both out. I suppose I am not going to rule out buying another one, but after getting two and both failing in a row. I am going to be a little bit more prepared, if I make a future purchase. That said, if my current MIM's play up again. I suppose it will give me a reason to upgrade their innards with some new kit.

That is one advantage of Fender, there are loads of aftermarket alternatives which will mostly fit straight on/in if you want to do some tinkering. I tend to buy second hand so I have been able to pick up MIA Fenders that were, in some cases, a lot less than a new MIM.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1369055240' post='2084290']
What a disappointment! I was hoping for a thread on this...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL8xYvKwzNA[/media]
[/quote]

lol - so funny

reaverman - is your mexican P bass the roger waters P in your avatar?

Just curious to what this bass is like as it's one of the only fenders I like.

Black on black on maple

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1369055646' post='2084294']
lol - so funny

reaverman - is your mexican P bass the roger waters P in your avatar?

Just curious to what this bass is like as it's one of the only fenders I like.

Black on black on maple
[/quote]

Yes it is Megallica, the neck is fantastic and the Seymour Duncan PUP does produce some nice tones. Though I am playing this through my mates Keyboard amp ATM, getting a practice amp in the next month of so. It's my first Bass, so I do not really have anything to compare it too.

My main guitar is a MIM Telecaster '72 Deluxe, its brilliant and I've never had problems with it. Superb playability, lovely neck and I almost always pick it up for a gig despite owning/having access to other, technically "better" guitars.

If you find one you like, its brilliant!

Had to have a neck replaced on an MIM p bass , it was only just out of warranty, and they agreed to pay half (effectively it cost me £150)

Id only just got back into playing again when I brought it, before I discovered BC and other sales sites, so I doubt i'll ever buy new again now

Dont think it means MIMs are bad, just you get what you pay for and every now and then, a std or budget end bass will have an issue, just like anything else with parts

I have a 92 MIM Precision, bought new in 1993 been trouble free except for the volume pot which I replaced last year, and even that may have been damaged rather than faulty. Anybody know if theres any truth in the theory that earlier MIMs were USA ones as the Mexico factory were not up and running at full tilt early on ? I was told something to that effect at the time.

I also have a 2012 Precision, identical colour, which I have had to send back as the paint started flaking off after 5 months. Yet to see whether Fender sort it satisfactorily.

MIM one definitely sounds better to me, but that might be the orrible mudbucket tone control they fit now, which I will try changeing to the old cct when I get round to it.

Any musical instrument that is mass produced in large numbers will be variable in quality to some degree. US models fall into this category just like MIM models. The biggest differential is most likely to be more to do with the quality of the component parts as opposed to the skill levels of the respective US/Mex employees.

I have played some really decent MIM's...but also a couple of dogs. I could also say the same for US models.

Apart from the cheapo smaller spline shafted pots on MIM, I havent noticed any difference in component quality tbh. I tried at least a dozen new USA ones. before I bought the current one, and they did vary quite a bit. At least enough for me, with my heavy handed lack of technique, to notice.

• 3 months later...

I absolutely love my Precision but like some others, the electronics failed. I was at a rehearsal when suddenly I had low output from the precision pickup.

I could've taken it back to the shop and had it repaired under warranty but I wanted to experiment and it now has a set of EMGs and the BTC system. A set of D'adddario Chromes and a Hipshot D-tuner and I couldn't be happier

Such a stunning bass and lovely to play