Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NBD: Epiphone EB0

geoffbyrne

So my line-up is the Yamaha set - the BB415 with John East pre-amp, the BBG5 with RBX375 pickups & my beautiful TRB1005F fretless coupled with Hartke LH500 (12AX7 replaced with 5751) & Ashdown MAG400 (UK built) tops & custom built 15" cabs.

The above is more than adequate for most things.

So I was curious about a short scale, since 2 of those above are 34" & one is 35".

I advertised in this forum & ended up picking up a cheap 30" scale Epiphone EB0 purveyed to me by our very own Thornybank.

My!!! What a fun little bass. Dead easy to play - my left hand was flying all over the neck as though demented! It took me around 5 minutes to adapt to the different scale length & I was away!

However, what I didn't expect was the tone I'm getting from it!

Due to the big pickup being right up at the neck, I was expecting a big, soft, pillowy bass sound - we've all heard the term 'mudbucker' - right?

Nothing of it at all! An amazing amount of mid presence & bite & growl too - not at all what I was expecting!

I've ordered a set of short scale flats for it & otherwise all it needs is a polish. Pics to follow (only got it last night!)

Will I gig it? You betcha!!!

G.

Geoff, you are the first person I have ever heard praising a EBO! The one I had was the biggest pile of cack I have ever played. :ph34r:

I wish I knew you were looking for SS flats. I have a brand new set of Status ones you could have had.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1368715272' post='2080596']
Geoff, you are the first person I have ever heard praising a EBO! The one I had was the biggest pile of cack I have ever played. :ph34r:

I wish I knew you were looking for SS flats. I have a brand new set of Status ones you could have had.
[/quote]

No, it's fine, after the 35" fretless, it's like a breath of fresh air.

I've read all the criticism etc & decided to try it with an open mind, and as I've said, I'm really surprised. The pickup isn't a genuine Gibson Sidewinder, & maybe that's to the good. I can really make it bite & growl - surprise, surprise - maybe Thornybank sold me a Wednesday one!

Wish I'd known about the strings too - ah well. Being that I've ordered flats, I doubt I'll need another set anytime soon (GHS Brites - 49 - 108) and I wanted them a wee bit heavier anyway.

G.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1368715272' post='2080596']

[/quote]

Snap! Every EB0 I've ever played or heard has been dreadful... If you find a good one, its probably as rare as hens teeth and worth a fortune!

Well, I am possibly the second person, then. I bought one a while back - like you Geoff I was curious about short scale - and I loved it. I love the short scale, love the thin neck, love the light weight. Neck dive cured with a wide, rough strap. I ended up sticking in a DiMarzio pup, Kiogon wiring loom (now the tone pot actually does something) and, best of all, Hipshot Supertone bridge (which is superb). I will definitely gig with it.

Jezzaboy - PM incoming....

Geoff

I had one of these for a while and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Still not quite sure why I sold it to be honest with you. Mine had the same tone you described and was so easy to wizz around. The only downside was a bit of neck heaviness, but that was easily solved with a wide grippy strap. Enjoy!
Cheers
Another Geoff

I like mine too. It's a Pelham Blue version. I've tarted it up with a Dimarzio Model 1, Hipshot Supertone, CTS pots and series/parallel switching. A set of D'Addario Chrome Flats and it's all good.

I agree about the necks - great to whizz around on. I found the combination of the heavier Supertone bridge and decent wide strap got rid of the neck dive.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1368814100' post='2081951']
Y'know, for an instrument costing under £100, is the Supertone bridge at approx. £60 worth it?

Set of short scale GHS Brite Flats on its way from Thomann.

G.
[/quote]
I am currently wrestling with this very dilemma. I have an Epi thunderbird that I bought cheap....plays, looks and sounds really great. I do believe however that the Hipshot will make it even better. What to do, what to do!?!?!?

I have an EB0, Bought new from online shop last week for £129.

It is a very nice instrument for the price.

It took a while to set it up correctly, fresh from the box the intonation was well out.

Everything is good,The body is one piece mahogany and the hardware is good quality too.

It is great fun to play, very fluid and fast, and the pickup sounds nice when overdriving the amp.

I would definately gig with it. Mine is "Hand crafted in China" and to be honest the first one had to go back to the shop, it had an imperfect neck pocket, some of the wood was missing where a hamfisted employee forced the neck and body together. I dont expect luthier quality on a £120 bass and I can live with some imperfections at that price , but I could not live with the imperfection on the neck joint. The Second one is fine though.

It is the sonic opposite to my Jazz bass.

It is a little boomy, but nothing which can,t be EQed out.

I love the shape of the body and head, It is head heavy, but not massively so.

IT IS £129 BRAND NEW. It is difficult to see how they make a profit, the price of the parts would fetch more than that on the Bay.

I am well happy with mine, I am considering buying a black one next.

I have got to add my backing to these great little basses too. I bought one a couple of years ago when I was working out in the states for 3 months. gave it away before I came home, but it converted me to short scales. Im now a big fan of short scale basses, I have 5 including a limited edition EB3 short scale with a set neck. If you ever see one for sale grab it. You wont be disappointed. I have tried a few SG Gibos and its on a par with them for a lot less wonger.