Why become a member? ×

Yamaha current BB range

garry71

What's the difference between the model ranges?
The 2024 is twice the price of the 1024, which itself is twice the price of the 424.

As far as I can tell they all have similar specs for materials, so apart from the 2024 being handmade what's the real difference between them?

Cheers
Garry

Hi Garry

The 2024 is , as you say , handmade to a very high standard at the Yamaha custom shop in Japan . using Yamaha's propriatary A.R.E and I.R.A processes for treating the woods used in the construction of the bass . They are superb quality instruments by any standards . The 1024 has the same basic construction and hardware , but the wood is just ordinary and they are made in a factory in Indonesia . Whether the 2024 is worth the extra money is open to debate . The 424 looks similar but has much more basic construction and hardware and consequently a different sound to the two more expensive basses . All of the basses you mention are good value for money at the respective price points they retail at .

Edited by Dingus

I own a 424 and a 1024.

Theres not much difference between the two except that the 1024 simply feels higher quality. A little more weight, neck finish slightly smoother and I'm convinced that the J pup sounds a little smoother and less aggressive than the 424.

I think the main difference is that the body of the 1024's are one or two piece rather than multi-lam like the 424. The 1024 also has higher quality machine heads.

I would happily buy another 424. IMO the 1024 doesn't have enough on the 424 to make it worth buying. The 2024 on the other hand is a fully craft built instrument of incredible quality and well worth the money. The vintage sunburst looks gorgeous!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1368459019' post='2077310']
I own a 424 and a 1024.

Theres not much difference between the two except that the 1024 simply feels higher quality. A little more weight, neck finish slightly smoother and I'm convinced that the J pup sounds a little smoother and less aggressive than the 424.

I think the main difference is that the body of the 1024's are one or two piece rather than multi-lam like the 424. The 1024 also has higher quality machine heads.

I would happily buy another 424. IMO the 1024 doesn't have enough on the 424 to make it worth buying. The 2024 on the other hand is a fully craft built instrument of incredible quality and well worth the money. The vintage sunburst looks gorgeous!

Truckstop
[/quote]

The body of the 2024 and 1024 are three pieces joined using spline joints rather than the usual " biscuits " technique , with the central section being kept intact so the neck , bridge and pickups anchor onto a single central plank of wood . It's supposed to improve the overall resonance of the bass that way . I am pretty sure the 424 body isn't made that way . Also , the 424 has a different nut , bridge and pickups to the 1024 and 2024 .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1368460922' post='2077348']
Yeah the 1024 and 2024 have nickel nuts I believe?

Truckstop
[/quote]

Yes , and the bridge has got those sharp witness points where the strings pass over . I find the pickups on the 2024 / 1024 to have a very big , cushiony sound , whereas the 424 ect have , as you say , a much more gritty and agressive tone . All excellent basses .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='garry71' timestamp='1368465574' post='2077421']
Interesting replies, very informative thanks.

Wonder if Yamaha will ever do a JJ version as well as the PJ configuration? It might win over some Jazz bass fans.

Cheers
Garry
[/quote]

Jazz fans will be wanting at least VVT controls. No pick-up selector switches..
Probably the main reason I've never bought any of them.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1368466738' post='2077440']
They used to do a cracking active Jazz Bass style instrument , the BB1500a , but it was discontinued a few years ago now . One of these :

[/quote]

Your link doesn't work for me, but found some pics on google. Looks quite nice that does.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=BB1500a&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=WXy&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=rcs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7SqRUdr-L4yb0AXHkYGIAg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=626

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1368466357' post='2077437']
Jazz fans will be wanting at least VVT controls. No pick-up selector switches..
Probably the main reason I've never bought any of them.
[/quote]

I'm not too fond of the selector switch either. If I had one I'd ditch the switch and put another volume pot in. I have a BB614 and use the blend pot quite a bit, it's useful if you can vary between the pickups.

Edited by garry71

[quote name='garry71' timestamp='1368465574' post='2077421']
Interesting replies, very informative thanks.

Wonder if Yamaha will ever do a JJ version as well as the PJ configuration?  It might win over some Jazz bass fans.

Cheers
Garry
[/quote]

BB NE2 is a JJ version.

[quote name='garry71' timestamp='1368468649' post='2077470']
I'm not too fond of the selector switch either. If I had one [u]I'd ditch the switch and put another volume pot in[/u]. I have a BB614 and use the blend pot quite a bit, it's useful if you can vary between the pickups.
[/quote]

I did the opposite on a BBN4, changed the VVT to VTToggle. So used to that set up on my BB3000 and BB1000s.

To be honest, I do not understand this three tier approach when the build quality of the cheapest stuff is challenging the more expensive stuff. It's hard enough to differentiate two price points, let alone three, especially when it's the same brand name on the headstock and there's a significantly less polarised geographical/instrument making pedigree angle to exploit.

Hence why this question seems to crop up whenever Yamaha's latest BBs are discussed - "why should I get a 2024 over a 1024 over a 424?"

Now don't get me wrong. I love my BBs but this has me scratching my head a bit.

I've played the 2024 and 2025 back to back with the 1024 and 1025 and I have to say that I much preferred the '2' series.

It's hard to encapsulate but the '2's just felt more 'together' as instruments and had a real quality feel to them. Easily up there with many high end basses I've tried/owned.

I've found similar things with US Laklands compared to the various Far Eastern ones. There's just an extra level if quality and class about the fit and finish.

Of course, this doesn't answer the question if whether they are 'worth' the extra investment because there is always going to be a law of diminishing returns.

Personally I'd go for the Japanese models if I could afford them :)

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1368466738' post='2077440']
They used to do a cracking active Jazz Bass style instrument , the BB1500a , but it was discontinued a few years ago now . One of these :

[/quote]

I owned one of these for a little while. Fantastic bass! Only got rid of it in a trade for an 1100s. Needed a more passive sound and the 1500A was very hi-fi sounding. This all being said, it's one I now wish I'd kept. It would've been an excellent candidate for a fretless conversion...

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1368524077' post='2077911']
I've played the 2024 and 2025 back to back with the 1024 and 1025 and I have to say that I much preferred the '2' series.

It's hard to encapsulate but the '2's just felt more 'together' as instruments and had a real quality feel to them. Easily up there with many high end basses I've tried/owned.

I've found similar things with US Laklands compared to the various Far Eastern ones. There's just an extra level if quality and class about the fit and finish.

Of course, this doesn't answer the question if whether they are 'worth' the extra investment because there is always going to be a law of diminishing returns.

Personally I'd go for the Japanese models if I could afford them :)
[/quote]

Exactly this.

In my experience ( with both Yamaha and Lakland , for that matter ) . If you can afford the difference the more expensive bass is definitely worth the money . That said , if you can't stretch to the Japanese ( or U.S in the case of Lakland ) models , the ones made in Indonesia are excellent value . The sound coming out of the speakers when you play either model is comparable , but the tactile experience of playing the more expensive bass is definitely superior .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1368523291' post='2077903']
To be honest, I do not understand this three tier approach when the build quality of the cheapest stuff is challenging the more expensive stuff. It's hard enough to differentiate two price points, let alone three, especially when it's the same brand name on the headstock and there's a significantly less polarised geographical/instrument making pedigree angle to exploit.

Hence why this question seems to crop up whenever Yamaha's latest BBs are discussed - "why should I get a 2024 over a 1024 over a 424?"

Now don't get me wrong. I love my BBs but this has me scratching my head a bit.
[/quote]
What about Fender then: Squier, Mexico, USA and Custom shop...all look virtually identical when up on a stage!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1368535945' post='2078102']
What about Fender then: Squier, Mexico, USA and Custom shop...all look virtually identical when up on a stage!
[/quote]

Squier and Fender are distinct and separate brands, even if they are ultimately part of the same conglomerate. Just like Epiphone and Gibson. In the case of Yamaha there is no brand separation, so one major distinguishing factor is gone. Also the geographical pedigree is less defined - they'll all be Far Eastern instruments to some, to those who find these considerations important. To those who don't care about such things (like me), it's even HARDER to differentiate between them. Without trying one (which is my modus operandi given my location), I'd find it really hard to justify the spend on the 2024 (or even the 1024) when the 424 is likely to be a wee cracker of a bass.

Edited by neepheid

If you don't hear/feel a difference between these models, good for you!
You can buy the more inexpensive one and be happy.

I am not joking. With a lot of things, you pay a large premium for gradual improvements
when you move to the top. At some point, not everyone cares about the difference any more.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1368541643' post='2078232']
Squier and Fender are distinct and separate brands, even if they are ultimately part of the same conglomerate. Just like Epiphone and Gibson. In the case of Yamaha there is no brand separation, so one major distinguishing factor is gone. Also the geographical pedigree is less defined - they'll all be Far Eastern instruments to some, to those who find these considerations important. To those who don't care about such things (like me), it's even HARDER to differentiate between them. Without trying one (which is my modus operandi given my location), I'd find it really hard to justify the spend on the 2024 (or even the 1024) when the 424 is likely to be a wee cracker of a bass.
[/quote]

The used market for is the place to buy Yamaha basses imo. I bought my used 1024 for less than I could've bought a new 424. I haven't played a 2024 so can't comment on their value for money but I have owned a 414 a 614 & the 1024 & I think they all bring something different to the party.

Edited by Horizontalste