Why become a member? ×

Tom Hamilton ASAT G&L Bass

merello

Love the sound of G&L basses , love Tom Hamilton's playing , but these basses look like they have been decorated with glitter by some schoolchildren for Christmas . Way too Liberace for my tastes , I'm afraid . Also chronic neck dive on all ASAT basses , sorry to say . They need to sort that out like EBMM did on the Reflex / 25 Anniversary model .

I've always thought that the Telecaster body shape doesn't work well on bass, IMO it looks far too cumbersome. Also that slab body looks really thick, but it may just be an illusion caused by the binding.

And as above, those finishes are far too gaudy for my liking.

The major problem with a Telecaster body shape is that it makes the body hang in an unusual position compared to a traditional Fender - based shape bass , with the neck seemingly further away from you . Neck diving is inherent , unless you take remedial steps to counteract it .

I remember visiting a music shop in Birmingham (can't remember the name but they had massive displays of Bass guitars in the basement) in the early 90s that had brand new G&L ASAT basses for £400. It seemed to be a nicely balanced bass.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1367929134' post='2071085']
I remember visiting a music shop in Birmingham (can't remember the name but they had massive displays of Bass guitars in the basement) in the early 90s that had brand new G&L ASAT basses for £400. It seemed to be a nicely balanced bass.
[/quote]

Sitting down on a strap they are fine , but standing up with a strap they can tend to be a bit unwieldy , to my tastes at least .

Cass Lewis played an ASAT similar to these ones twith Skunk Anansie in the 1990's and sounded great , and I'm sure these will sound superb - all G&L basses do to me - but that ASAT body shape is not the most practical design in terms of comfort .

[size=5][sub]Those are absolutely gorgeous - wouldn't mind one.[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]If Trevor Barry can play a gold sparkle one on Strictly Come Dancing (and sound great as well), these are fine by me![/sub][/size]

Edited by drTStingray

I notice reading the spec on these that the body is made out of American sugar pine . I wonder what that will sound like ? I'm sure they must have had a good reason for choosing a pretty unusual body wood . Weight , maybe ? I know some recent Fender Custom Shop guitars have been made out of American pine . I expect it will sound good , anyway .