Why become a member? ×

Naming bands, such a minefield!

JamesBass

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1367897391' post='2070746']
I realise this may come as tragic news, but The Entire Population Of China has been done...
[/quote]
...as has Plus Support. Free Beer has been done too, in case anyone was considering that. :)

The Free Beer I know were a very good funk band in Sydney in the late 70's.

They had some difficulties advertising pub gigs (landlords got fed up with people demanding their free beer!) and had to change their name to the Free Beer Band.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1367743426' post='2068847']
So my new band which formed in January published our Facebook page the other day, we built up a decent number of likes over the first few days, then boom. I get an inbox from a mate down in Brighton linking me to a band who have just been signed and have the same name as us now!

I did a solid week searching for any bands that had a similar name to us, google hits and Facebook ones but nope the named seemed free! I know now why this band didn't show up, they were known on the internet as Join The Empire, as opposed to just The Empire but, it seems they've dropped the Join part from their name!

It's so frustrating trying to come up with a band name that fits and sounds good! Guess it's back to the drawing board!
[/quote]
Screw em. They'll never make it and you will. Keep using the name, neither of ye are the first band to use that name I can assure you.

This is the issue with naming bands, my band have taken the wise decision and have headed back to the chalk board for now, being in the same country and playing what sounds like similar music, the Brighton based The Empire and my band only an hours drive along the coast in Portsmouth, would have caused too much hassle and deprived both bands of clarity and fan base. I just HATE that period of suggestion names and then eventually deciding on one a week or so before the first gig!

Google whack it, just put catchy phrases or words into google, if nothing comes up then run with it. My drone projcet 'the dust museum of joy' is great and even shows our videos when you search dust museum... i think.

I have two really great names that needs bands, no, Im not sharing...

Gonna shelve the naming issues for this week, purely working on the material we are taking to the studio later this month, getting that stuff done is what I deem important for now. Luckily we haven't gigged yet and so this will give us promo material for our press pack. We'll get the name done in the next week or so!

The other thing to think about with band names is what people are going to call you when they're feeling critical. I still remember from my school days a triple bill of bands called The Hellborn, the Honey Buzzards and Weird Creation being refered to in the gig review in the paper as The Stillborn, the Runny Custards and Weird Excretion.
It wasn't a good review...

Funnily we already had this, we originally were set on the name The Targets, then it clicked over a kebab and beer. The amount for piss taking is HUGE! So that was scrapped! Hopefully at band practice next week we get a new one down!

It's a shame when this happens. I felt sorry for Jason newstead from metallica, his farmhouse side project was called echo brain, and he got sued by a band call echo drain... I guess he was an easy target with deep pockets but come on surely they could both perform under their respective names without any copyright infringement or confusion.
I already have my band name picked out, and can't find a reference anywhere so be on the lookout for "shadow hoax" there it's documented!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1368047286' post='2072612']
It's a shame when this happens. I felt sorry for Jason newstead from metallica, his farmhouse side project was called echo brain, and he got sued by a band call echo drain... I guess he was an easy target with deep pockets but come on surely they could both perform under their respective names without any copyright infringement or confusion.
I already have my band name picked out, and can't find a reference anywhere so be on the lookout for "shadow hoax" there it's documented!
[/quote]

Am registering shadow hoax in my name now, retrospectively, I have been in Shadow Hoax since 1924 and was a founding member... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We're having this trouble. Mate and I started a rock covers band with another mate as drummer and my daughter singing. We thought of CRB (Classic Rock Band) but reaction to that from likley rent-a-crowd mob was not particularly favourable plus someone coinde the phrase Crappy Rock Band. So in a list of possibles at the mo' we have:

Agents of Misfortune
This Way Up
One Quarter Daughter
Misspent Youth

It's a complete pain in the butt trying to find something.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1368047286' post='2072612']
[/quote]
Anyone with the price of a four pack can grab the domain & hold it to ransom if you don't snap it up first - if I were you I'd grab it before someone else snatches it from under your nose: http://www.nominet.org.uk/whois/lookup?query=shadowhoax.co.uk