Why become a member? ×

Naming bands, such a minefield!

JamesBass

So my new band which formed in January published our Facebook page the other day, we built up a decent number of likes over the first few days, then boom. I get an inbox from a mate down in Brighton linking me to a band who have just been signed and have the same name as us now!

I did a solid week searching for any bands that had a similar name to us, google hits and Facebook ones but nope the named seemed free! I know now why this band didn't show up, they were known on the internet as Join The Empire, as opposed to just The Empire but, it seems they've dropped the Join part from their name!

It's so frustrating trying to come up with a band name that fits and sounds good! Guess it's back to the drawing board!

This always happens. Status Quo used to be called Traffic until a certain S. Windwood came along.

3 of my bands all have equivalent named bands in the US.

We're not working on an international level so it doesn't matter to us. The US is a long way away and I don't think we'll be confusing either audience, but Brighton and Portsmouth are close enough to cause problems, especially as the other band is signed.

We've just had to rename due to having to kick the founder member out and he wanted to keep the original name.
We were almost settled on 'Hoodoo Boomstick' until we found a band in the same county using boomstick in their name, what's the chances.
We settled about a month ago on 'Cloud City Rebels', which is also a coincidence given the theme of this thread.
While I'm posting, what genre of music does 'Hoodoo Boomstick' make you think of? It was a bit of a debate at the time within the band.
Got to agree with the OP though, I 've lost count of the amount of suggestions that came up that turned out to be taken, at least we have the internet to check now.

Hoodoo Broomstick are an all-female pensioner-age skiffle band (though the rhythm flautist is a lad aged no more than nine or ten) playing Edwardian-esque post-industrial hadcore roots nursery-rhyme ska-based folkdub in a post-pop tiddly-pom sort of style, with that classic brass-band edge to what is an unmistakeable flamenco-driven easy-listening groove, inspired by the short-lived underground disco yodelling scene that took off in and around Kidderminster in the spring of 1972.

Something like that

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1367751337' post='2068984']
While I'm posting, what genre of music does 'Hoodoo Boomstick' make you think of?[/quote]

British Nu-Blues with a hint of RL Burnside.

[size=3]Burnside sporting best 'gigging hat' ever.[/size]
[color=#FFFFFF][size=3].[/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1367760895' post='2069124']
British Nu-Blues with a hint of RL Burnside.[/quote]
Although I don't actually know what Nu-Blues is, I believe we're thinking along the same lines. :)

Our drummer was Adam Ant, no hang on that's not right, our drummer was adamant that people would think we were a folk band so I suppose he was almost right if it makes you think blues, the band is rock covers band but we do try to put our own spin on things.
It's so difficult getting five people to agree on one name.
I saw a band advertised in a local pub whose name I think most male musicians can relate to, 'The Wives Aren't Happy'

We tried to change ours a few years ago, and for weeks we went round and round in circles, trying to find names that all three of us were happy with, that hadn't been used by somebody else. Eventually we gave up and stuck with what we had. I've come up with some good ones since, but I don't dare open up the can of worms again.

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1367763748' post='2069169']
Eventually we gave up and stuck with what we had. I've come up with some good ones since, but I don't dare open up the can of worms again.
[/quote]

NOI to anyone else, but I still think that The Steely-Eyed Missilemen is the best band-name on BC. :)

I know the feeling. I play in a band called 'Heights', a year after our first gig another band appear with the same name! Rubbish! Annoying but we are VERY different sounding so we move in different circles. Not been in issue for a while really.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1367764980' post='2069182']
NOI to anyone else, but I still think that The Steely-Eyed Missilemen is the best band-name on BC. :)
[/quote]

Bless you Skank, I'm going to print that off and frame it.

I sometimes think it's a bit long and unwieldy, and I get fed up of explaining the origin to people, but we've had it a long time now, and you've just renewed my love for it.

Whilst the subject of band names has come up I just thought I would put in print the name of our band incase anyone else thinks of it.
I hope nobody else has thought of it.

'The Entire Chinese Nation'

Recorded for posterity.